Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 VLX Surf ballast

JAYGUAD

As of right now, I surf with stock ballast, front full, center full and rear surfing side full.

I am planning on getting a couple of fat sacs for surfing.

I dont want any sacs in the front or just sitting in the boat, so i am thinking of just getting a 750 lb for the surfing side locker.

But my second idea is to get a 500 for each locker so i can use it for wakeboarding aswell, will my boat plane with full ballast, wedge and two 500's in the back, if there are people in the bow?

also, when i am surfing i will take one bag out and put it on the seat.

Does anyone do this?

I have the jumbo surf sac in my left rear locker (1100lbs). And i fill the left rear, Jumbo surf sac (piggyback system), center and bow. Wedge all the way down and 10.8 mph. Does the job, waist high and clean! :surfing: I cant imagine needing more weight for wakeboarding. my factory system shoots me to the moon as is! :thumbup:

me personally, i would steer clear of having to move bags around to surf. You will find out real quick that its a headache. (in reference to the two 500lb bags.

Edited by cmcgee82

I have the jumbo surf sac in my left rear locker (1100lbs). And i fill the left rear, Jumbo surf sac (piggyback system), center and bow. Wedge all the way down and 10.8 mph. Does the job, waist high and clean! :surfing: I cant imagine needing more weight for wakeboarding. my factory system shoots me to the moon as is! :thumbup:

Jumbo surf sac (1100#) fits in VLX rear locker!? or you mean 750# plus 200# factory hard tank?

I add a 500 lb sac in the rear locker along with a 250 tube sac under the port seats and usually have a 5+ crew so the surf wake is nice. If you add 500 sacks on both sides for wakaboarding, you'll probably need some more bow weight.

Jumbo surf sac (1100#) fits in VLX rear locker!? or you mean 750# plus 200# factory hard tank?

Thats right the jumbo 1100lb. sac. i do not get the full 1100lbs but it is significantly more than 750lbs. :yes:

Thats right the jumbo 1100lb. sac. i do not get the full 1100lbs but it is significantly more than 750lbs. :yes:

cmcgee82- being that your an 09 you have a different hull. The bag in the corner is all you need. the OP will need to run weight down the side of the boat to get close to what you have.

OP- do you have the wake hull or diamond? they both surf very well but will have very different weight requierments.

I use a 550 in the back, 800 on the seat and 330 in the bow. I have three pumps so it goes pretty fast. Have a huge/long wake with just a driver in the boat. If we add a bunch of friends it's a bonus. I bought the twin packs for the 550 and the 440 so I can run those as well for wakeboarding but usually run stock.

I use a Sumo Sac 900 in the surfside locker, it fits perfect. I would also highly recommend additional ballast on the seat and in the bow. To make the wake bigger, longer and cleaner you need additional bow weight. I use a 540 in the seat and a 540 in the bow.

I should also mention that i have the monsoon engine....

And atleast for this year, a sac in the bow or sitting in the middle is not a option.

I wish

And atleast for this year, a sac in the bow or sitting in the middle is not a option.

I wish

we run stock center and surf side, plus 1100 in the bow, 750 in the surf side rear locker, 400 on the side seat.... if gets big!!

I wish

Do you mind if I ask why it is not an option? IMHO, you will have tough time getting a decent wake with out it.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I picked up a 750lb sac the other day ( havent used it yet )

Just wondering what you guys would suggest running the stock ballast and wedge at, with the 750lb in surf side locker.

example- bow ballast full center full surf side full wedge all the way down ( i beleive thats what i did last summer )

Also for wakeboarding, im just going to throw the sack in the center of the oat, should be good!

OK, I picked up a 750lb sac the other day ( havent used it yet )

Just wondering what you guys would suggest running the stock ballast and wedge at, with the 750lb in surf side locker.

example- bow ballast full center full surf side full wedge all the way down ( i beleive thats what i did last summer )

Also for wakeboarding, im just going to throw the sack in the center of the oat, should be good!

Surf side, center and bow MLS full with PW at about 9 or 10 o'clock and your 750 in the surf side locker.

Surf side, center and bow MLS full with PW at about 9 or 10 o'clock and your 750 in the surf side locker.

Also, speed about 9.8-10.4 mph.

I have smaller boat 07 vride and motor but run 500 in bow, 500 mid, 750 in rear and wedge and have no issue with power............and have a great wake

usually have 3 to 5 in the boat as well

I will be taking delivery of my 2010 Vride in a couple weeks and was wondering if you guys are able to plumb these into the stock pump system or how are you fillng these extra sacs?