Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Very Frustrating Gauges / Cannon Plug HELP

All of my gauges work in the garage. They shake at startup and the fuel and volt gauge will ramp up to their levels. The gauges do not work on the water. That does not make any sense. After alot of searches on this site I thought that a loose cannon plug made the most sense. I unplugged the cannon plug and the gauges still worked in the garage. What am I missing. I disconnected the cannon plug in the picture. I could not find any other cannon type plugs. I thought the gauges would not work if the cannon plug was disconnected. What gives? I looked at the MDC and it seems fine. Nothing loose. It had the two speedo tubes and 3 harness plugs. All tight. Thanks for any more ideas.

Disconnected cannon plug

Was it just one time at the lake they didn’t work or is this after multiple trips? Something does jive as being on the water would have nothing to do with it. You probably have a bad ground somewhere or a hot wire grounding out. Look at the wiring for breaks and frays.

Only the oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges work thru the cannon plug. The other two gauges are sourced from the dash power. You should not be able to crank your engine or even let it run if the cannon plug is disconnected either. Things that pass thru the cannon plug are only engine related.

I guess that I am out of ideas. I thought all gauges ran through the cannon plug. Thanks for the insight ElectricJohn. I can't figure out why they work in the garage and outside they don't. I will look at the wiring for breaks and frays as suggested by WakingMeHappy. All of the wiring is in tubing so it will make it very hard to inspect. Any other ideas?? If water was in the MDC from the speedo tubes would that make the gauges work sometimes? How can I rule out the MDC??

This is after multiple trips. The gauges will work in the garage before we leave. I think everthing is working. Get to the lake and fire it up and nothing from the gauges. It just makes me really nervous not knowing how much gas I have or what the engine temp is.

Edited by RanchDweller

stating the obvious here: something is intermittent and the trailer is tossing the rig during the trip to and from the pond.

i am putting my wag that dumb luck covers the rest (works in garage not at the pond).

consider working on it when the garage is quiet (after the kids are in bed? midnight?).

once it's quiet you may be able to hear the servo's twitch and can crawl around fussing with the wiring / grounds.

the servo's get roudy at power-up. you should be able to hear that if you find (break/make) the iffy connection.

let us know what you find.

One more thought...you said in the garage they are OK. Does that mean the engine is not running? When they don't work at the lake I'm assuming the engine is running. Use a fake lake in the driveway and crank it up. Do the gages work or not? If not than I'm still leaning to a bad wire somewhere as it may be engine vibration causing this wire to ground out. I know I'm stretching here but I searching my mind (which isn't easy) for ideas.

Here is a link to something I found on the net that helped me test mine and determine that it was shot. If I remember correctly the wire colors were a little different from mine but the pin locations were correct. It made it easy paying for a new one knowing the old one was dead. Don't know if this is the same for your 2002 vs. my 2000 hope it can help.

http://www.epicmarine.com/docs/MDCtrouble.PDF

good luck.

Yes, I have been trying it in the garage without the motor running. I will turn the key to the on position and all of the gauges will shake, the fuel and volt gauges will read their levels, leaving RPM's, speedo, temp, and oil pressure all at zero because the motor is not running. When on the lake, the gauges will shake at startup and ALL will remain at zero. While on the lake, I try to wiggle as much wiring as I can to get the gauges to work hoping that there is a loose wire, but that has not been successful. As odd as it sounds, it really only seems to work in the garage. :dontknow:

Thank you 133 for the wiring trouble shooting. I hate intermittent problems. :Frustrated:

Edited by RanchDweller

Here is a link to something I found on the net that helped me test mine and determine that it was shot. If I remember correctly the wire colors were a little different from mine but the pin locations were correct. It made it easy paying for a new one knowing the old one was dead. Don't know if this is the same for your 2002 vs. my 2000 hope it can help.

http://www.epicmarin.../MDCtrouble.PDF

good luck.

great catch on finding that document. i don't recall seeing it before.

If I understand correctly, when the boats in the water and you turn the key one click, the volt and fuel gauge register a reading? But if on the trailer(whether it's in the garage or on the ramp), they don't register?

Good luck finding that one. Is there any way the trailer is grounding to the boat? Do you use a safety chain and hook? Maybe try unhooking it in the garage (or ramp) and see if it makes a difference. Or... if the boats in the water and you turn the key one click (just like in the garage), do the fuel and volt gauges register? If they don't, leave the key turned one click, and watch the gauges while you load the boat(with it not running) on the trailer, and while you're pulling it out. At some point the gauges should start working. If you get to your house, check the gauges before you pull in your driveway. then stay in the boat while a friend pulls it in the garage. I doubt it's necessary, but you've got to find out how far from the garage you get before a change happens.

Edited by JasonK
  • 12 years later...