Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu XS Rear Hoop Removal

Rover1

I noticed that a member mentioned that the threads begin about 1" down the cone. I have pulled the hoop about 5 times to get the boat in and out of the garage and noticed it looks stripped at the top...glad to hear it is only due to side pressure.

Does any one out there have any tips on how to keep the bolts from stripping the threads upon removal and installation. I am concerned with the consistant damage of installation and removal. Any thoughts or support would be excellent thanks.

I noticed that a member mentioned that the threads begin about 1" down the cone. I have pulled the hoop about 5 times to get the boat in and out of the garage and noticed it looks stripped at the top...glad to hear it is only due to side pressure.

Does any one out there have any tips on how to keep the bolts from stripping the threads upon removal and installation. I am concerned with the consistant damage of installation and removal. Any thoughts or support would be excellent thanks.

What you see towards the top of the cone area you see is nothing more than thread marks from the bolts. That part isn't actually threaded. You have to ease the bolts in and make sure you are using ample Anti-sieze compound to prevent galling of the threads because they are dissiimilar metals. The bolts are stainless and the tower is of course cast aluminum. It's pretty course thread so I don't think stripping of the threads is a real issue if a little care is given. I've removed and installed mine no less than 25 times as I too have to remove it to get in the garage.

It's not that they are stripped, the hole is tapered so that it is easy to start the bolt into the hole.

Terry