Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fast idle for drive-by-wire???

My buddy has a 2008 LSV with the bling package and there appears to be no way to rev the motor with the boat in neutral. Tried to figure it out over the weekend, finally gave up. Somebody on wakeworld posted that you cannot rev the motor out of gear. I can't believe this would be the case. What't the trick???

My buddy has a 2008 LSV with the bling package and there appears to be no way to rev the motor with the boat in neutral. Tried to figure it out over the weekend, finally gave up. Somebody on wakeworld posted that you cannot rev the motor out of gear. I can't believe this would be the case. What't the trick???

What the hell is a bling package?

It's true there is no neutral to rev the engine with the drive-by-wire. Not sure why it would be needed either.

Yep! No Neutral rev! I have an early 08' and it had it till I took it in for a Recall/Upgrade! They removed the Neutral Rev. Upgrade??

What the hell is a bling package?

It's true there is no neutral to rev the engine with the drive-by-wire. Not sure why it would be needed either.

Not sure why?

Couple reasons

1> Heater

2> Shower

3> I used to "kick mine up a bit" when sitting to keep the oil pressure up. I have a buddy with a SUPRA that has a gazillin hours and still runs like a champ. He swears by it. Plus he has his idle way down to reduce wear on the tranny clutches.

Edited by Willy

Not sure why?

Couple reasons

1> Heater

2> Shower

3> I used to "kick mine up a bit" when sitting to keep the oil pressure up. I have a buddy with a SUPRA that has a gazillin hours and still runs like a champ. He swears by it. Plus he has his idle way down to reduce wear on the tranny clutches.

Your friend thinks his boat has lasted a gazillion hours because he runs the engine above idle??? Your friend would be better off by shutting the engine off when sitting. He'll end up with less hours and more gas. :loser:

Edited by WakingMeHappy

4. To charge a dead battery (Alternator puts out 40A at idle, 90A at 2500RPM...)

5. Warm it up more quickly

6. So I can listen to the valvetrain or injectors at speed

7. To set the revolution volume control

Don't know if this will help, Are the 08's shift by wire also? If not disconnect the trans shift linkage at the trans, then operate the throttle as you like. Gay, but may work in a pinch.

On shift by wire boats, you can disconnect the connections on the valve body of the transmission. (The valve body has a red anodized cap on the end) There are two electrical connections, both are injector-style quick connects. One controls forward, one controls reverse. Access under the center rear seat typically.

If you disconnect both, make sure you test forward and reverse carefully after re-attaching, in case you reversed them.

Peter

On shift by wire boats, you can disconnect the connections on the valve body of the transmission. (The valve body has a red anodized cap on the end) There are two electrical connections, both are injector-style quick connects. One controls forward, one controls reverse. Access under the center rear seat typically.

If you disconnect both, make sure you test forward and reverse carefully after re-attaching, in case you reversed them.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I might look into installing a bypass switch on the forward harness for convenience

I think its just the ones with the newer throttles. With the push button on top. Boats with "shift by wire"

Edited by zad0030

Thanks Peter. I might look into installing a bypass switch on the forward harness for convenience

Just give it some thought before you do. In one sense a bypass switch is fast and convenient, but in other sense it could be a dangerous item. If this is something you do at the dock, unplugging and re-attaching the connector at the transmission is enough work that you don't "forget", (well, unlikely although I've done it while performing maintenance) and forces you to not use it either inadvertently or "casually". I'm just thinking of scenario's where the switch is flipped, engine running up, someone drops it the other gear for a second or more and then can't engage the other direction to stop your movement.

Life's a risk, so just give it some thought before jumping in.

Peter