Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If the Titan Series 3 Tower was still a option...

Bake's Marine

If the Titan Series 3 Tower was still a option, would you want one on your boat?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. If the Titan Series 3 Tower we're available, would you be interested?

• Yes, I do not have a tower and if the option was there I would want a Titan Series 3 Tower (after market install)
    • Yes, If the Titan Series 3 Tower was a option on a new 2010/2011 boat, I would want it (Factory install)
    • No, I prefer the Illusion series towers or no tower at all

I think the T3 is popular with the "I don't have a tower" people because the install is simple as compared to Illusion or G3. While the T3 is much more solid than The Illusion X or XS, I have never warmed up to the look. The Illusion towers have the radar arch look, so they do not look out of place to me. I think the G3 will be tower of choice after it is proven to be reliable. Other than the speaker shelf, I really do believe Malibu hit this one out of the park. Those slide off racks are the shizz.

If the G3 has the strength of the Titan III is there a need for the T3? It seems like the bimini design and visibility of the Illusion style tower is superior to the Titan.

Yea, I'd say there is a need. The above the tower bimini made for the T3 is awesome in my book. I've been wanting to mimic it on my T2 for a while now.

Not sure how the visibility of the Illusion is better. I haven't had issues with the visibility on mine.

It needs to be noted that good skiers most often prefer a style more like the Titan, because the Illusion style will interfere with the rope at shorter rope lengths. I realize that you're talking about a small segment of the market, but it still needs to be noted. It also is much, much easier to deal with a boom on a boat with a Titan vs. one with an Illusion style. Just a couple of things to consider aside from the functionality of the tower itself.

If you want to use a boom on a V-drive for training or barefooting and want to stay in front of the spray then you really need to use a Tower Boom on the Titan 3 tower. A boom mounted to the ski pylon just doesn't get you far enough forward.

First off on the v-drives the ski rope and illusion tower are not of a concern since the ski pylon is further back than on the direct drives. Not sure why you would be skiing behind a direct drive with a tower if you were that good of a skier but I am sure there are some out there that do need to cater towards their children wanting a tower for wakeboarding.

As someone that has had the more conventional tower like the Titan and now has an Illusion I will say that the tower gets in the way of your vision as much as the A-pillar does on your car. It isn't really a big deal, but when I first drove my boat with the Illusion tower it did feel nice having a completely unobstructed view in front. Plus I love the look as it is different from all the conventional towers on the lake.

I think the T3 is popular with the "I don't have a tower" people because the install is simple as compared to Illusion or G3. While the T3 is much more solid than The Illusion X or XS, I have never warmed up to the look. The Illusion towers have the radar arch look, so they do not look out of place to me. I think the G3 will be tower of choice after it is proven to be reliable. Other than the speaker shelf, I really do believe Malibu hit this one out of the park. Those slide off racks are the shizz.

My opinion is not based on the ease of install as I would never install one on my own, instead I actually like the look of the T3 better than the illusion, but I know that is personal taste and not worth arguing. One point on the illusion that is a draw back for me is its location in the middle of the boat. When we are drifting and enjoying the sun and music my favorite place to sit is on the gunwale in the middle of the boat and I know from experience that the illusion gets in the way of that. Again, personal preference.

It needs to be noted that good skiers most often prefer a style more like the Titan, because the Illusion style will interfere with the rope at shorter rope lengths. I realize that you're talking about a small segment of the market, but it still needs to be noted. It also is much, much easier to deal with a boom on a boat with a Titan vs. one with an Illusion style. Just a couple of things to consider aside from the functionality of the tower itself.

Correct! By no means am I a short line skier but even at 32' off the illusion starts to get in the way. Just my .02

On another note, I am very proud of the fact that I just figured out the multiquote feature :thumbup:

Does your '92 Euro have an Illusion tower or do you ski behind somone else's boat that has a DD with an Illusion tower?

No my Euro does not have an Illusion tower. Just the thought of that is pretty funny. I have skied behind a VD and a DD with Illusions in the past.

First off on the v-drives the ski rope and illusion tower are not of a concern since the ski pylon is further back than on the direct drives. Not sure why you would be skiing behind a direct drive with a tower if you were that good of a skier but I am sure there are some out there that do need to cater towards their children wanting a tower for wakeboarding.

It's a documented issue on direct drive boats, & yes, there are direct drives out there with Illusion towers on them. And yes, there are skiers that have towers on their boats, it's not just a wakeboarding thing.

Hahaha ya that would be in interesting look for sure. I don't understand why someone would want an Illusion tower on a DD. On a V-drive the Illusion tower shouldn't get in the way for any skiers.

Hahaha ya that would be in interesting look for sure. I don't understand why someone would want an Illusion tower on a DD. On a V-drive the Illusion tower shouldn't get in the way for any skiers.

While it may difficult to imagine, some of us ski and barefoot (thus the need for the tower) and don't even own a wakeboard.

BTW, I'd love to have a TIII on my boat.

Most of the experience I have with the Illusion is on V-drives. Several of the guys I ride with have one version or another made by Metcraft. They have had to replace the bushings &/or pins in the tower after a fairly short time frame. One guy's boat is an 08 VTX & they have been replaced twice already. Another guy didn't know any better & when I went out to visit them late last summer, the tower on his 07 LSV was knocking so badly over every wake or bump in the lake that it was a little nerve rattling. I suggested he check out replacing these bushings. He did the job himself but swore under his breath the entire time. :rofl:

Also, my brother used to have the first version, double tube Illusion tower on his XTI. It was nearly impossible to mount foil racks on & he ended up replacing it with a Titan III.... and loves it.

I also have some bad experiences with Metcraft towers on Calabrias & Tiges...... breaking welds, cracked fiberglass around the foot, etc. In one case Metcraft refused to honor any warranty & we had to go directly to Charlie Pigeon, the CEO of Tige, to get it replaced.

I appreciate that some people like the "look" the swept forward towers offer. And that some people don't have problems with them. But that "look" is a dime a dozen now. And these toys of ours called a "boat" - Break Out Another Thousand....... they have that stigma for a reason. Things go wrong. And we add things to them a lot. All this is expensive & time consuming. I'm more interested in riding or upgrading the boat than fixing problems. So eliminating any potential problems is important to me. And if going with a different "look" to make the boat solid, reliable & fully functional is the adjustment to make.... so be it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

While it may difficult to imagine, some of us ski and barefoot (thus the need for the tower) and don't even own a wakeboard.

Must be an echo in here... :Tease3:

I appreciate that some people like the "look" the swept forward towers offer. And that some people don't have problems with them. But that "look" is a dime a dozen now. And these toys of ours called a "boat" - Break Out Another Thousand....... they have that stigma for a reason. Things go wrong. And we add things to them a lot. All this is expensive & time consuming. I'm more interested in riding or upgrading the boat than fixing problems. So eliminating any potential problems is important to me. And if going with a different "look" to make the boat solid, reliable & fully functional is the adjustment to make.... so be it.

Ya I don't see nearly as many Illusion swept forward type towers as I do conventional looking towers. The swept forward look is definetly in the minority compared to the conventional tower. Anyways, the only problems I have heard with the Illusion towers are really from the foilers. But if you are going to foil behind a boat you should be using the strongest tower which there is no arguement that the Titan is better than the Illusion in terms of strength. However, every wakeboarder I know or have talked to that has the Illusion tower has not had a problem. So if you are someone that is going to be putting a huge amount of stress on the tower you obviously want to get something that can handle it.

Ya I don't see nearly as many Illusion swept forward type towers as I do conventional looking towers. The swept forward look is definetly in the minority compared to the conventional tower. Anyways, the only problems I have heard with the Illusion towers are really from the foilers. But if you are going to foil behind a boat you should be using the strongest tower which there is no arguement that the Titan is better than the Illusion in terms of strength. However, every wakeboarder I know or have talked to that has the Illusion tower has not had a problem. So if you are someone that is going to be putting a huge amount of stress on the tower you obviously want to get something that can handle it.

Small Hijack

Just got our boat with illusion x. For longline barefooting can I go off the tower (to get that extra lift) Or is this probably pushing the tower to hard). I know I can go off the ski pylon but I'd use the tower if possible. Does a barefooter put more stress than a foiler?

Small Hijack

Just got our boat with illusion x. For longline barefooting can I go off the tower (to get that extra lift) Or is this probably pushing the tower to hard). I know I can go off the ski pylon but I'd use the tower if possible. Does a barefooter put more stress than a foiler?

I don't think that it's just foilers. It's anyone who is big & doesn't like to let go when they crash. The average foiler is probably close to 200 lbs, and has a 30 - 40 lb anchor strapped to his butt.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I am about 230 pounds and I put a good amount of pressure on that tower when I ride and there hasn't been any movement from my tower. I doubt I got the only good tower.

Small Hijack

Personally, I don't notice a difference in "lift" when barefooting off a tower versus the pylon. I think if you practice good form, it won't matter.

I don't think that it's just foilers. It's anyone who is big & doesn't like to let go when they crash. The average foiler is probably close to 200 lbs, and has a 30 - 40 lb anchor strapped to his butt.

I am about 230 pounds and I put a good amount of pressure on that tower when I ride and there hasn't been any movement from my tower. I doubt I got the only good tower.

Personally, I don't notice a difference in "lift" when barefooting off a tower versus the pylon. I think if you practice good form, it won't matter.

I wouldn't do it off of an Illusion.

All Good points guys, thanks. I'll prob try out both and if I don't notice a significant difference I'll just save the tower and use the pylon. Oh ya and I'll probably just avoid falling.Wink.gif

End Hijack, Back to the Titan III

I personally wouldn't get a Titan II because I liek the look of the illusion and it does what I need. I'd be willing to bet there is enough demand for it though. I think it's a great tower and would still get chosen by a fair percentage of malibu owners. Maybe 15% if the options were G3, Illusion XS, Titan III and no tower at all.

What do you guys think of that number?

Edited by TrickyNicky

I have no clue about the demand. I know what I like and what I think looks good. I only know how much pressure I put on the tower and how it performs under those circumstances. I think if you have any reservations about how an Illusion may hold up, then I would say go with the Titan. If it just comes down to looks then you have to go look at those towers in person and see what you think looks good.

I think they should offer the Titan tower personally, even though I wouldn't get it as my first choice.

As you all probably know from my previous posts, I've only owned a Titan and I'm a Titan fan. The Titan is as unique to Malibu as the Illusion is. I like the fact my Malibu with the T3 looks different than my three friends VTXs with Illusions/X. My issues with the Illusion/G3 is the weight of the rig, how they block side entry, how they block rider viewing, how ugly a tower mounted mirror looks on them and chipping color. The two points about side entry and rider viewing is likely more of a problem with the 20'ish boats where I spend all my time. Most VTX/Sunscape owners buy the 20' v-drives because we still like to pull the stick out occasionally, thus any additional weight and its affect on the slalom wake is the foundation of my weight concern. BTW, ever notice the Illusion tower base on the VTX/Sunscape is crooked? A known casting issue not addressed in its three year run.

I also see the upside to the G3 and it's predecessors. No visible wires, more room to mount accessories and no tower in the drives frontal view.

If nothing else, the T3 is the best alternative to the G3 and all other towers because it's construction is Stainless Steel and not Aluminum. Bring the T3 back, choice is good and my buddy needs one for his Sportster!

DSC_8405.JPG

Edited by CTSunsetter