Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust manifold base - smoke!

Took the boat out for first time this year. Great conditions and wakeboarding was fun - myself, wife and our 8yr old all took a set in 50 degree water! Everyone was stoked. Boat ran fine, all gauges readings ok etc., but after accelerating the boat I would lift the engine hatch and what looked like the underside of the starboard side exhaust manifold base (closest to bow area in vdrive) was smoking slightly - just wispy white smoke with no real odor. It would stop after 15-20seconds each time. I thought it was something just burning off and couldn't see any water leaking. Don't want to have to take it 3hrs to our dealer, but what could be cause?

Check the torque on your exhaust manifold bolts. Mine has come loose. I think the torque spec for these bolts are 35 lb/ft, but double check this.

My first thought is WD-40 burning off of the engine if it was sprayed on at winterization. You said it would stop after 15-20 seconds. How long did this go on?

My first thought is WD-40 burning off of the engine if it was sprayed on at winterization. You said it would stop after 15-20 seconds. How long did this go on?

First noticed it a couple runs into the day and then checked after wide open run back to launch area and it was doing the same thing - took it for another quick run across the lake and nothing. I thought it was something being burned off or steam, but from where?

Encountered the same issue with my boat startup earlier this year. Had to hark back to my winterization when I coated the engine with WD-40. It burned off within a couple of lengthy runs - no issues now

• 2 years later...