Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black smoke with a Monsoon 325

Just bought a 98 Sunsetter VLX (monsoon 325) from out of state. His local marina did a compression test and it was all good. The motor starts and runs fine with no hesitation or power loss. However, when I gun the motor I notice a puff of black in the exhaust. It's only a puff no constant and I don't see it unless I gun the motor. I'm using 89 octane with some fuel stabilizer and the motor was just summerized. What do you guys think, did I buy a boat with a problem motor? My local marina can't get to it for a couple weeks, but I do plan on taking it in...Thanks

Edited by PStew67

Just bought a 98 Sunsetter VLX (monsoon 325) from out of state. His local marina did a compression test and it was all good. The motor starts and runs fine with no hesitation or power loss. However, when I gun the motor I notice a puff of black in the exhaust. It's only a puff no constant and I don't see it unless I gun the motor. I'm using 89 octane with some fuel stabilizer and the motor was just summerized. What do you guys think, did I buy a boat with a problem motor? My local marina can't get to it for a couple weeks, but I do plan on taking it in...Thanks

If it's black smoke, only does it for a second, and it otherwise runs fine, with temp gauge and oil pressure readings looking good, then I would assume the computer's adding fuel and it's probably running a tad rich on the transition to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and it's not a problem.

-- Mike

Time for a tune up? The boat is 12 years old. Check the distributor cap and rotor first and then maybe plugs. Sometimes the distributor cap is overlooked. :guns:

What they said above is a good starting point. Problems on throttle up on an EFI engine are usually related to a vacuum leak which causes a hesitation or an inoperative engine coolant temperature sensor which causes a rich running condition and black smoke. Have your mechanic check your coolant sensor.

Edited by electricjohn

"Black smoke is oftentimes a result of too much fuel and not enough air in the combustion chamber. In rare cases, it can be caused by weak fuel pressure causing fuel to 'drip' from injectors rather than 'spray'. It can also be caused by weak fire in the combustion chamber."

:search: