Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Wakesetetr Escape 2000 lsv

WakesetterE

:( On my 2000 Wakesetter Escape LSV, I want to set it up to surf. I have a factory bag below the walkway to the bow and a factory wedge. I added a Super Fly High bag to the locker next to the engine, drivers side. It holds close to 1100 lbs.

We tried to wake surf and while we could occasionally get the line to go slack surfing, the "sweet" spot or push area was very very small. I'm getting a huge wake of clean water while pulling around 9-11 MPH. I watch videos where folks are surfing all over the wake and getting lots of push, but we are not seeing the same results. I ordered anothe bag to place below the seats along the drivers side to add yet another 400 lbs. What are we doing wrong? We have a 4'7" wake board, and we have tried riders from 140 to 240 lbs. Is our wake board too small? Do we need ballast in the bow also?

I would have thought with 1100 lbs in the side locker surfing would have been simple, but we get very little push. The wake is tall, but very very steep. It seems impossible to stay in the middle of the wave.

I have not been using the wedge to surf, as when it is deployed it seems to reduce the wake when the surf sack is loaded.

I now wonder if more bow weight would add push to the wake. :unsure:

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions! :clap:

Cole

:( On my 2000 Wakesetter Escape LSV, I want to set it up to surf. I have a factory bag below the walkway to the bow and a factory wedge. I added a Super Fly High bag to the locker next to the engine, drivers side. It holds close to 1100 lbs.

We tried to wake surf and while we could occasionally get the line to go slack surfing, the "sweet" spot or push area was very very small. I'm getting a huge wake of clean water while pulling around 9-11 MPH. I watch videos where folks are surfing all over the wake and getting lots of push, but we are not seeing the same results. I ordered anothe bag to place below the seats along the drivers side to add yet another 400 lbs. What are we doing wrong? We have a 4'7" wake board, and we have tried riders from 140 to 240 lbs. Is our wake board too small? Do we need ballast in the bow also?

I would have thought with 1100 lbs in the side locker surfing would have been simple, but we get very little push. The wake is tall, but very very steep. It seems impossible to stay in the middle of the wave.

I have not been using the wedge to surf, as when it is deployed it seems to reduce the wake when the surf sack is loaded.

I now wonder if more bow weight would add push to the wake. :unsure:

Suggestions??

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions! :clap:

Cole

I have the exact same boat and we have no problem surfing. We have 750# on each side of the engine, (one OR both of these can be full) a 600# sac in the ski locker (it probably actually holds about 450# because of the space) and we put a 400# sac on the seats on which ever side we're surfing. I weigh 225# and I have no problem surfing indefinetly around the lake on a 5 foot board at 10 to 11 mph.

You said you have a 4'7" "wakeboard". Is it actually a wakeboard or is it a wake surl board? It is VERY difficult to surf on a actual wakeboard, but it can be done.

Hope this helps!

:clap:

I have the exact same boat and we have no problem surfing. We have 750# on each side of the engine, (one OR both of these can be full) a 600# sac in the ski locker (it probably actually holds about 450# because of the space) and we put a 400# sac on the seats on which ever side we're surfing. I weigh 225# and I have no problem surfing indefinetly around the lake on a 5 foot board at 10 to 11 mph.

You said you have a 4'7" "wakeboard". Is it actually a wakeboard or is it a wake surl board? It is VERY difficult to surf on a actual wakeboard, but it can be done.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the info. I wake surf on a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" wake board with all three fins installed. Do you surf with the wedge down or up? Mine seems to hurt the wave when down. Do you board on the drivers or passengers side, and which makes the best wake? You have 750 in the compartment by the engine and 450 under the seats, plus 400 on top of the seats? Do you think bow ballast is helpful? How far back can you surf from the transom? Is it very difficult for a first timer to wakesurf behind your boat? Thanks again! :clap:

:clap:

Thanks so much for the info. I wake surf on a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" wake board with all three fins installed. Do you surf with the wedge down or up? Mine seems to hurt the wave when down. Do you board on the drivers or passengers side, and which makes the best wake? You have 750 in the compartment by the engine and 450 under the seats, plus 400 on top of the seats? Do you think bow ballast is helpful? How far back can you surf from the transom? Is it very difficult for a first timer to wakesurf behind your boat? Thanks again! :clap:

I don't have a wedge, so that would be up I guess! We can surf on either side of the wake with both 750's filled in the engine lockers. The passenger side is always a better wave because of the rotation of the prop. Counterclockwise equals better left side wake. The 450 is actually in the ski locker, so I consider it bow ballast. I feel the bow ballast is a MUST for both surfing and wakeboarding in my boat. I actually cut out the bow coolers under the seats so that I could fit two flyhigh "sidesacs" in there but I just did it last fall and I haven't had enough time to experiment with them much. I can surf anywhere from directly behind the swim platform to about 10 to 12 feet back, depending on the number of people in the boat. The more the merrier! I have taught a number of people to surf behind my boat with just me in it. The heavier they are, the more difficult it is. Also, the longer the surf board you have, the easier it is to surf. On your broadcast board almost anyone up to about 250# should be able to surf if you get enough weight in your boat. I use an O'brien Alias that is 5' long and has one 2" fin and most of my friends don't have any trouble with that board.

I don't have a wedge, so that would be up I guess! We can surf on either side of the wake with both 750's filled in the engine lockers. The passenger side is always a better wave because of the rotation of the prop. Counterclockwise equals better left side wake. The 450 is actually in the ski locker, so I consider it bow ballast. I feel the bow ballast is a MUST for both surfing and wakeboarding in my boat. I actually cut out the bow coolers under the seats so that I could fit two flyhigh "sidesacs" in there but I just did it last fall and I haven't had enough time to experiment with them much. I can surf anywhere from directly behind the swim platform to about 10 to 12 feet back, depending on the number of people in the boat. The more the merrier! I have taught a number of people to surf behind my boat with just me in it. The heavier they are, the more difficult it is. Also, the longer the surf board you have, the easier it is to surf. On your broadcast board almost anyone up to about 250# should be able to surf if you get enough weight in your boat. I use an O'brien Alias that is 5' long and has one 2" fin and most of my friends don't have any trouble with that board.

Does your 750 bag in the passenger side locker cover the top of your battery? My battery is in a plastic box, but i was concerned the water weight of the bag might would be too much weight on the top of it? Just to be clear, that 450 is in the bow compartment where you cut the cooler out, or under the passenger seats behind the windshield? I have the 1100 lb Fly High Pro X Series Jumbo V-Drive Surf Sac in the locker, but its a little too big. Does your 750 completley fill the area beside the engine?

Does your 750 bag in the passenger side locker cover the top of your battery? My battery is in a plastic box, but i was concerned the water weight of the bag might would be too much weight on the top of it? Just to be clear, that 450 is in the bow compartment where you cut the cooler out, or under the passenger seats behind the windshield? I have the 1100 lb Fly High Pro X Series Jumbo V-Drive Surf Sac in the locker, but its a little too big. Does your 750 completley fill the area beside the engine?

I have two batteries and I moved them both to the area under the passenger dash so they would be out of the way of the sacs. No, my 450# sac is in the ski locker, in the floor under the bow walk-through. Yes my 750's totally fill up my engine lockers.

• 1 month later...

I have the same boat and am giving this wakesurfing thing a shot. I tried a setup that was very close to what you use but I only filled one of the 750's in the rear and I had the manual wedge down. Do you usually fill both of the 750's or just surfside?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm circling back so others can hear what I tried and what worked for me. I started with an 1100 lb fat sac in the right engine locker. Ran the wedge, the 1100 lb rear bag full, and the factory center/front bag (650?). Boat had steep wake, nose of boat very high, impossible to surf. I added a 450 fat sac and placed it on the seats behind the driver and left the rest as above. Same bad deal as before, nose up, steep wake, high rpm to operate, no push in wave. Added a 750 lb fat sac place crossways in the bow. Wedge down, rear locker with the 1100 sac, 450 sac on the seat. Perfect. Nose slightly up, but not bad, with a nice wake with a good ramp easy to teach folks to surf on. Night and day with out the bow bag. I tried the 1100 lb bag up front, the 750 bag in the locker, with wedge and 450 on the seats....bow was so heavy it was a little scary to drive(waves over the bow sometimes) and didn’t seem any better performing. Tried the 450 sac in the nose, 750 on the seats, 1100 in back, didnt work well at all. So in my 2000 Wakesetter, its wedge down, 1100 sac rear locker, 450 under the bench seat behind the driver, 750 fat sac crossways in the bow, factory bag full in the middle. At 2800 RPMS, a 250 lb man on a 5'6" board can comfortable surf behind the boat. Kids can surf wide and a long way from the rear of the boat, also. :thumbup: