Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Dollies

boardnxtx

I just moved the BU into a family owned warehouse that is pretty tight getting in and out of. A lot of support beams and work items (this is their business warehouse), so I'm looking for a way to make it easier on me. I've begun looking at trailer dollies and I'm ready to make a decision. I don't know anyone who has one, so I'm looking to you guys for some advice. What are you guys using? Are you guys using the electric dollies or just the regular ones??? Any pro's and con's to either??

Here are a few items I'm considering. Let me know what you think...

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=12391F&WT.mc_id=gb1

The AC5 model is what I'm considering on the electric dollies.

http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

I just moved the BU into a family owned warehouse that is pretty tight getting in and out of. A lot of support beams and work items (this is their business warehouse), so I'm looking for a way to make it easier on me. I've begun looking at trailer dollies and I'm ready to make a decision. I don't know anyone who has one, so I'm looking to you guys for some advice. What are you guys using? Are you guys using the electric dollies or just the regular ones??? Any pro's and con's to either??

Here are a few items I'm considering. Let me know what you think...

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=12391F&WT.mc_id=gb1

The AC5 model is what I'm considering on the electric dollies.

http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

I bought this one when I needed to get the trailer in and out of a very tight garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=trailer+dolly

It still takes some work to move it, but does help.

Were you able to push tandem trailer inside garage with this dolly!?

That's the information I am looking for as well. I figure it is going to be a bit more difficult to maneuver with a manual dolly, but the cost savings is huge. I know tandems are a lot harder to turn than single axle's, so this is definitely playing into my decision. I feel like an old man, with horrible lower back problems, so I'd like to find something that won't kill me getting it in and out. The space I have to move around in is pretty wide open, other than the support beams. But, getting the truck and boat in and out is a bit more difficult as a combo. If I could maneuver the boat with a dolly right up to the loading dock ramp, it would save me a lot of heartache...

Another question, I don't have the boat/trailer in front of me, but what is the tongue weight of a loaded VLX???

Edited by boardnxtx

That's the information I am looking for as well. I figure it is going to be a bit more difficult to maneuver with a manual dolly, but the cost savings is huge. I know tandems are a lot harder to turn than single axle's, so this is definitely playing into my decision. I feel like an old man, with horrible lower back problems, so I'd like to find something that won't kill me getting it in and out. The space I have to move around in is pretty wide open, other than the support beams. But, getting the truck and boat in and out is a bit more difficult as a combo. If I could maneuver the boat with a dolly right up to the loading dock ramp, it would save me a lot of heartache...

Another question, I don't have the boat/trailer in front of me, but what is the tongue weight of a loaded VLX???

You won't be able to move the boat very easily by yourself with a manual dolly with a tandem trailer ( I have a manual one) turning it is next to impossible. Get the electric if you need to turn even slightly.

I found an almost brand new AC-8 on Craigslist for $350. It works great except on a steep concrete driveway (no electric brakes = no brakes!) The motor gearing will slow the trailer down when going downhill but I need to set wheel chocks to stop the boat/trailer from getting away from me. Going uphill works fine although sometimes I need to put weight on the dolly to stop the wheels from slipping. BTW - the grade is about 8%. Can easily maneuver the boat and trailer by myself although lowering the trailer onto the dolly (you definitely need the adapter that bolts to the trailer frame) is easier with a 2nd set of hands. Moving the boat and trailer on level ground with a manual dolly (Harbor Freight or another brand) is tough by yourself. Takes a bit of oomph to get the trailer moving and turning with tandem axles is harder still - doable, but much, much easier to do with the electric models if you can afford it.

I haven't found any used ones locally, but definitely looking. $350 is a great price! You ready to get rid of yours??? Lol...

Sounds like electric is the way to go, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a used one. Let me know if anyone comes across one.

Thanks guys