Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rough initial idle even when engine is at running temp

Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Response LX with and Holley carbed Indmar 350. When I start it up it runs and immediately stalls or bogs real low and idles rough. I have to give it gas when starting get it going and then it will idle rough at 600 rpm without stalling. When I give it gas it runs perfect. No hesitation at all. When coming to a stop again after cruising down the lake it will idle perfectly smooth at 700-800 rpm how it should untill I shut it down. when it sits for another 10 minutes and start it up same rough idle or start and stall. Losing prime? stuck butterfly valve? Not sure. Not a huge deal but I would like to just start it and have it idle smooth without having to pump the gas. I have new spark plugs, cap and rotor, fuel filter, clean air filter. Any ideas? Im not very familiar with carbs.

Problem with your choke system maybe. I've got a coil and a pull-off on my Mercruiser, not sure on Indmars. Watch the butterflies as you start it and while it bogs. Hold the small butterfly open/more open while it's idleing rough and see if that changes it.

Actually watch the butterflies when it gets a good idle. Keep your eyes on them while you shut it off, wait, then restart it. Did they go back to where they were while idleing smoothly? Or are they shut and idleing rough?