Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken Bu

04 Wakesetter 23lsv with Monsoon 340. Last summer I had the impellor let go 100 yds from the dock and the overheat alarm came on before I noticed. I swam it back to the dock, let it cool down and went home sad. After changing impellor, motor wouldn't turn over so I pulled the plugs and found water in a couple cylinders. Took it to the dealer and they worked with Indmar techs on the hydrolock condition. Ultimately, they just flushed the cylinders out, New plugs, wires, Rotor, Cap, oil/filter change and Indmar said as long as it was running well - no worries.

When I got it back on the lake for a test run it misses badly between 2500-3500RPM, but seems smooth at WOT. Dipstick looks clean - Changed oil again to be sure, but it looks clean. Also changed the fuel filter and cleaned the inlet screen to eliminate these. I have noticed that the oil pressure seems HIGH - so I figured possible head gasket even though no foam or milk on the dipstick. I am trying to do a leak down test, but can't seem to find a good method to find TDC since the raw water pump sits over the crankshaft pulley and you can't get a wrench on the crank bolt. Tried the starter bump method, but based on the test and air I hear going into exhaust I'm not convinced I'm at TDC for my test. Any suggestions for a better method to get TDC for my leak down test?

I also noticed all the posts on Ethanol fuel, so I'm planning to drain the tank and put fresh gas in it. I winterize with Pri-G, but seems the new fuels are an issue.

Last but not least, I can't find an indmar shop manual newer than 2003.

Thanks for all the great information sharing on this site.

Try a compression test. Remember, take all of the spark plugs out. I blew a head gasket when I lost my impeller when I first got our boat. It's easy and if you hear air coming out any other cylinders or the intake, you may have a blown gasket.

Note: mine ran good at WOT also but began to loose power and was spark knocking under hard acceleration.

Compression test shows 120 across all cylinders on first stroke. Seems like I should have a low cylinder or two with a blown gasket.

...scratching head now. I guess I'll pull the raw water and finish the leakdown test.

Compression test shows 120 across all cylinders on first stroke. Seems like I should have a low cylinder or two with a blown gasket.

...scratching head now. I guess I'll pull the raw water and finish the leakdown test.

Hmmm... Yes you are correct. Go back through and ensure that two plug wires are/were not crossed. 5 & 6 can cause your missing but still runs ok when not under load. That is old school though, someone with newer boat experience will need to chime in.