Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just picked up Bu, Questions

TrickyNicky

Hey guys Just picked up the boat (07 VTX), first time I have ever even seen it!Yahoo.gifClap.gifRockon.gif I have a few questions:

1- The retractable pylon is VERY difficult to move. Like two hand standing on seat. It's hard to pull up, push down, swivel, and I can't push it all the way down into the sunpad either.

2- In the small floor compartment 1'x1' There is water. i have drained all the ballast and the bilge has been on and it's still there. Not a lot of water and the boat has been on a trailer the whole time. Is this just because of the slope of the boat and the bilge being at the back. Also the bilge did clear water earlier so it is working fine.

3- The bolster on the driver seat is pretty stiff. It takes two hands to move it. Is this normal?

4-The hose for the blower is broken. It's one of those retractable style hoses and there is a large hole between two of the wire-type sections. (excuse the vocabulary). This section is located in my right rear compartment. Should I have this replaced or is it no big deal. Also there is only one hose. Should there be two? One for each side. And last should the hose be connected to anything in the engine compartment. There are small wires running into it but it is more or less dangling behind the engine.

thanks guys. Stoked to get it on the water...after 3 days of rain aheadCrazy.gif

Welcome to Club Malibu -

You will love the boat, and this forum has answers to just about every question.

1A. The pylon should not be that hard to move. Try some WD 40 to lubricate it.

It takes a twist to unlatch it each way. You should be able to see the bolt that locks it up or down.

And, it could be that the bolt is in too tight and rubbing as you twist.

1B. Even when down, it will be about 1" higher than the cushions.

2. There will almost always be a little water somewhere. The way the plugs and drains are set, everything will not drain.

3. My bolsters are still tight after a full year of use. Might try a little lubricant, but be careful where you spray!

4. There should be a blower motor somwehere in the engine compartment, that one end of the hose connects to.

I cannot get to mine, but I believe there is one hose connected to one side vent, leading into the engine compartment.

There is a shrt hose going form the engine compartment up to the blower, and then a third hose from the blower to the other side vent.

The vent is prety inexpensive, so it might be worth replacing. The blower is not too long, round on each end. probably less than 12: overall length.

It sounds like maybe someone removed it --- ?

Welcome to Club Malibu -

You will love the boat, and this forum has answers to just about every question.

1A. The pylon should not be that hard to move. Try some WD 40 to lubricate it.

It takes a twist to unlatch it each way. You should be able to see the bolt that locks it up or down.

And, it could be that the bolt is in too tight and rubbing as you twist.

1B. Even when down, it will be about 1" higher than the cushions.

2. There will almost always be a little water somewhere. The way the plugs and drains are set, everything will not drain.

3. My bolsters are still tight after a full year of use. Might try a little lubricant, but be careful where you spray!

4. There should be a blower motor somwehere in the engine compartment, that one end of the hose connects to.

I cannot get to mine, but I believe there is one hose connected to one side vent, leading into the engine compartment.

There is a shrt hose going form the engine compartment up to the blower, and then a third hose from the blower to the other side vent.

The vent is prety inexpensive, so it might be worth replacing. The blower is not too long, round on each end. probably less than 12: overall length.

It sounds like maybe someone removed it --- ?

1A. I saw the bolt and tried loosening but just a bit. I'm going to try the WD40.

1B. It will not go lower than the ski level height even when turned to the long slot for the storage position.

2. Figured. thanks

3. Try that WD tomorrow as well.

4. I'm going to have a closer look tomorrow. Will the hole in thee hose be a problem though?

ALSO New questions.

5. My horn does not work and the fuse is fine?

6. The upholstery has some decent wear and tear. Any recommendations on cleaning product. (That I can get locally at home-depot etc to clean tomorrow)

Edited by TrickyNicky

6. The upholstery has some decent wear and tear. Any recommendations on cleaning product. (That I can get locally at home-depot etc to clean tomorrow)

I use those magic erasers by Mr. Clean. works to get alot of stains out of the seats. Good luck !!!

WalMart actually has a pretty good selection of vinyl cleaners. Also Gander Mountain, AutoZone, etc.

Search these forums for vinyl cleaners and you will find recommendations / suggestions on specific brands.

In 07 they had issues with the tolerences between the pylon and the bushings. Sounds like it needs to be either turned down or replaced.

In 07 they had issues with the tolerences between the pylon and the bushings. Sounds like it needs to be either turned down or replaced.

Take a File or some Sandpaper to the Inside Pllastic Ring that holds the Pylon on... When I first bought my boat I had to pry the Pylon up with a Claw Hammer... Then I took a file and filed a little bit around the plastic (not much at all) and it worked like a charm and never stuck again... I Think the Plastic swells over time and holds the Pylon in harder...

Hey guys Just picked up the boat (07 VTX), first time I have ever even seen it!Yahoo.gifClap.gifRockon.gif I have a few questions:

1- The retractable pylon is VERY difficult to move. Like two hand standing on seat. It's hard to pull up, push down, swivel, and I can't push it all the way down into the sunpad either.

What the guys said above, plus when it is sitting all of the way down, the bottom of the rotating ball (the bottom of the flange actually) should be just a millimeter or two above the top of the nylon bushing, and like said, the top will be an inch or so above flush with the hatch.

2- In the small floor compartment 1'x1' There is water. i have drained all the ballast and the bilge has been on and it's still there. Not a lot of water and the boat has been on a trailer the whole time. Is this just because of the slope of the boat and the bilge being at the back. Also the bilge did clear water earlier so it is working fine.

3- The bolster on the driver seat is pretty stiff. It takes two hands to move it. Is this normal?

No needs to be loosened up a bit. One hand operation, easy to do is what you are targeting. I would double check to make sure nothing is bent or anything is increasing the resistance to move freely other than tight rivets (or whatever they are fastened with)

4-The hose for the blower is broken. It's one of those retractable style hoses and there is a large hole between two of the wire-type sections. (excuse the vocabulary). This section is located in my right rear compartment. Should I have this replaced or is it no big deal. Also there is only one hose. Should there be two? One for each side. And last should the hose be connected to anything in the engine compartment. There are small wires running into it but it is more or less dangling behind the engine.

thanks guys. Stoked to get it on the water...after 3 days of rain aheadCrazy.gif

The hose on the starboard side should just cut across from the rear corner vent and drop vertically to the floor and end.

The hose on the port side cuts across from the corner vent, drops down, and follows the engine forward to an electric fan (blower motor) that ejects the air at the front of the engine compartment down low.

That is how the blower on my 2008 VTX is routed.

I would just tape over the tears with some black duct tape for now and see how that does.

Edited by MalibuTime

bolster seat should not be hard to move up and down, agree check to make sure nothing is bent or binding. mine goes up / down with one hand.

I also have a bit of water in the belly, under the balast tank, around the pumps, not enough to reach the drain. very minor mount think this is normal. If I can remember to pull the rear plug once the boat is just out of the water, the angle of the ramp usually gets most of it......but alot of time dont remember til t the wash station

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant! It is a solvent. Good for rusty or frozen joints,threads etc.. NOT good in upholstered areas. Cretainly would not be good for nylon bushings. I would try sanding the nylon bushings of the pylon to create more clearance.

I use TriFlow which is a lubricant with teflon that is a staple in the cycling industry. For nylon I'd stick with a wax based lube...

YMMV...

P

Okay guys here's the blower hose issue. I've posted pictures of the missing blower connection (don't know where the blower is), the hole in the hose and the vent connection HERE.

I have can easily insert the hose end into the vent opening but just wanted to show the problem. I'm sure I can also duct tape the hole as listed. This shouldn't be a problem, correct, or should I just replace it? (cost?)

The more important question is where is the blower, I can hear it but thats it.

Thanks guys.

5. My horn does not work and the fuse is fine?

I got an answer for #5

http://www.hornblasters.com/

Screw that stock factory horn...get you a horn blaster! :rockon:

I have an air horn in my boat that plays the Dixie song "Dukes of Hazzard"...You might be too young to remember that...or then again they made a crappy movie of the Dukes of Hazzard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqSgsGZUG1M

My Wife HATES it! :lol:

I got an answer for #5

http://www.hornblasters.com/

Screw that stock factory horn...get you a horn blaster! Rockon.gif

I have an air horn in my boat that plays the Dixie song "Dukes of Hazzard"...You might be too young to remember that...or then again they made a crappy movie of the Dukes of Hazzard.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dqSgsGZUG1M

My Wife HATES it! LOL.gif

Ha I saw the new one and thought it was cheesy. Heard good reviews of the old one and popped it into the VCR...Much better! Were on a smaller low traffic lake and we really only use the horn to hurry people out of the cottage and into the boat. But it's nice to have one regardless. I hate when things don't work. So the air-horn is probably overkill....than again is it. People would probablyget to the boat faster!Wink.gif

Ha I saw the new one and thought it was cheesy. Heard good reviews of the old one and popped it into the VCR...Much better! Were on a smaller low traffic lake and we really only use the horn to hurry people out of the cottage and into the boat. But it's nice to have one regardless. I hate when things don't work. So the air-horn is probably overkill....than again is it. People would probablyget to the boat faster!Wink.gif

You have to check out some of their videos here:

http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php

HILARIOUS!...There's a couple boats on my lake with a horn blaster..pretty cool. Definitely gets your attention.