Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Battery Question

Kenneth

I recently added a second battery and switch to my "07 VLX". After reading discussions on batteries I discovered you are not suppose to combine lead batteries and AGM batteries together. If this is true I am going to purchase another Optima blue top marine battery. My question is this, can I add an Optima dark grey starting battery with my existing light grey deep cycle Optima battery. This is probably an elementary questions for many people. Since I am not very knowledgeable about batteries any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I did not install an ACR with the Blue Seas switch. My locale dealer said they only install the switch with there second battery applications. I have never been stranded with just one battery, but wanted a backup just in case. Thank you for your help.

I recently added a second battery and switch to my "07 VLX". After reading discussions on batteries I discovered you are not suppose to combine lead batteries and AGM batteries together. If this is true I am going to purchase another Optima blue top marine battery. My question is this, can I add an Optima dark grey starting battery with my existing light grey deep cycle Optima battery. This is probably an elementary questions for many people. Since I am not very knowledgeable about batteries any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I did not install an ACR with the Blue Seas switch. My locale dealer said they only install the switch with there second battery applications. I have never been stranded with just one battery, but wanted a backup just in case. Thank you for your help.

Yeah not problem with that, just keep the light grey deep cycle your house battery, with the darker grey your reserve starting battery. An ACR is not required, it just makes the setup "forget" proof. You will manually have to switch your battery switch to all, 1, or 2 when needed. With an ACR it will take care of the charging itself and you would only have to move the swith of your house battery dies.

Edited by 06vlx

Yeah not problem with that, just keep the light grey deep cycle your house battery, with the darker grey your reserve starting battery. An ACR is not required, it just makes the setup "forget" proof. You will manually have to switch your battery switch to all, 1, or 2 when needed. With an ACR it will take care of the charging itself and you would only have to move the swith of your house battery dies.

Thanks for your time and input. My switch has three positions, off,on and combine. Combine shows both batteries being charged, while on only shows the start battery being charged. Is it best to run around with the switch in the combine position? Then switch to on position when anchored in the cove for hours on end, so the start battery is isolated. Also, I like your food for thought. You should make a bumper sticker out of that quote. It would probably be more popular than the smiley face stickers from the 70's :) . If I thought they would go away, I would stop voting, before quick.

Thanks for your time and input. My switch has three positions, off,on and combine. Combine shows both batteries being charged, while on only shows the start battery being charged. Is it best to run around with the switch in the combine position? Then switch to on position when anchored in the cove for hours on end, so the start battery is isolated. Also, I like your food for thought. You should make a bumper sticker out of that quote. It would probably be more popular than the smiley face stickers from the 70's :) . If I thought they would go away, I would stop voting, before quick.

Yes leave the switch on combine, then if you want to chill with the stereo on while boat is off turn the switch to On. Sounds like you have the same switch as me, a blue seas e-series switch but I have the ACR as well.

Edited by 06vlx