Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pump Filter

When I ran my '02 Wakesetter for the first time this season I noticed that my fuel pump was squealing so I drained the fuel line between the fuel filter and the fuel pump and noticed that there was a good amount of silt in the line. After that I took the screen out of the bottom of the fuel pump and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner.

As I was putting the fuel lines back together I put the screen (fuel pump filter) in the cap of the cleaner on the dashboard of my car. When I went back to get the screen a gust of wind blew the cap over and the screen fell into my dash board. :Doh: I've taken my dashboard apart as far as I can (probably farther than I should have) and can't find it. I called the local Malibu shop who called Indmar who said that they wouldn't provide just the screen for the fuel pump so they told me that I will have to buy a whole new pump.

The bad news is that the fuel pump was just replaced last summer and only has about 45 hours on it, so I really don't want to buy new one. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement solution? Does anyone know what type of screen this would be (microns etc.)?

This is frustrating.

The bad news is that the fuel pump was just replaced last summer and only has about 45 hours on it, so I really don't want to buy new one.

scavenge the screen from the old pump (if it's sitting in the garage)?

or: anyone on tmc replacing the fuel pump? scrounge from them?

Edited by tvano

not sure i would if i found

I'm not trying to be argumentative but, don't you think the combination of the two filters are gonna filter out more than that screen? Have you seen the screen?

Whatever gets past two fuel filters, I say, let it go. I doubt it'll hurt anything, probably stuff small enough to get past the pintle on the injectors.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I'm not trying to be argumentative but, don't you think the combination of the two filters are gonna filter out more than that screen? Have you seen the screen?

Whatever gets past two fuel filters, I say, let it go. I doubt it'll hurt anything, probably stuff small enough to get past the pintle on the injectors.

Not even sure what the hell a "pintle on the injector" is but PP got my vote of confidence :plus1:

i'll buy into that; just wanted to throw it out there

Well unfortunately I don't have the old fuel pump because the guy that I bought it from had it replaced for me at a shop. None of the shops in Dallas would let me buy an old fuel pump (guess they just wanted me to buy a new pump from them, very frustrating).

I was also nervous about not having a screen because of the silt I found in the line. I also only have one filter between my gas tank and my fuel pump.

GREAT NEWS THOUGH! I rigged up a 3/4" plastic tube to the end of my shop vac and was able to somehow miraculously retrieve the screen from the depths of my dash. Out it back in the fuel pump yesterday, squeal is gone and boat is running great. On a side note I showed my dad what it was that I was missing and he showed me that he bought some screen the same size at ACE Hardware that he puts on the end of his gas cans. So for future reference you can find that there.

All's well that ends well, onto the summer months!

I'm glad to hear you got the screen out of the dash.

FWIW...

ultrasonic_cleaned.jpg

Heat Soak is the biggest cause of fuel injector problems. Heat Soak occurs when the pintle is hot and the engine is turned off. A small amount of residual fuel remains on the pintle end of the injector. The heat from the engine evaporates this residual fuel leaving microscopic layers of lacquers, waxes and varnishes from the fuel’s chemical additives on not only the tip and seats of the injector but also on to the inner walls. This drying process produces a fine layer of hard, "baked on", difficult to see and difficult to remove chemical coating. A small amount of this coating can affect the travel and seating of the pintle. which in turn will affect the fuel delivery, the fuel distribution and the atomization, resulting in combustion related problems. With the latest generation of Lambda controlled engine management systems, a matched balanced set of injectors is critical to the engines correct performance and operation.

I was also nervous about not having a screen because of the silt I found in the line. I also only have one filter between my gas tank and my fuel pump.

Are you sure you only have one filter? What motor?