Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge works but not pumping water?

I was in Savannah for two weeks on active duty and came home to find out that it had rained significantly and I did not take out the plug before leaving (I know I know I am an IDIOT). The engine compartment was full of water. I took the plug out to drain the water and hooked up the battery to turn on the bilge. I can hear the bilge working but no water is being pumped out the side of the boat. Any suggestions???

martinarcher

Your definition of works is different than mine. Whistling.gif Just kidding....

Anyways, might be worth pulling the top of the pump off and checking the impeller like tvano said to be sure nothing is in the discharge hose of the pump. I know a lot of crap can get sucked off the bottom if the boat and plug the discharge hose. You could pull the hose off and blow through it to make sure it;s not plugged with debris.

Your definition of works is different than mine. Whistling.gif Just kidding....

Anyways, might be worth pulling the top of the pump off and checking the impeller like tvano said to be sure nothing is in the discharge hose of the pump. I know a lot of crap can get sucked off the bottom if the boat and plug the discharge hose. You could pull the hose off and blow through it to make sure it;s not plugged with debris.

So the impeller has something to do with the bilge?? I actually have the impeller out and the hoses disconnected to the engine (the fins on the impeller got clogged in the hose last week and over-heated the boat). I am not even sure where the pump is located in my boat. I can hear it but can't find it. I have a 2002 response if you know where it would be. thanks for your help

Lift the engine cover. At the front of the bilge there is a "wall" that keeps you from seeing it. Remove the four screws (2 per side) that hold that divider in place and then remove the divider and you will see you bilge pump. It is right near the base of your pylon. My guess is either something is stuck in there and keeping the impeller from spinning or the shaft of the pump spun out the middle of the impeller and the pump will need to be replaced. Wal-Mart has them pretty cheap.

BTW - this is not the same impeller that cools your engine. :Doh:

:lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu

Didn't you already take the plug out to drain the water? There needs to be a couple inches of water around the bilge pump for it to prime and pump.

Didn't you already take the plug out to drain the water? There needs to be a couple inches of water around the bilge pump for it to prime and pump.

Yes I did take the plug out when I got home but there was so much water that I was in panic mode and wanted to get it out as soon as possible. It was draining very slow. It's all out now but the bilge is still not working correctly.

Lift the engine cover. At the front of the bilge there is a "wall" that keeps you from seeing it. Remove the four screws (2 per side) that hold that divider in place and then remove the divider and you will see you bilge pump. It is right near the base of your pylon. My guess is either something is stuck in there and keeping the impeller from spinning or the shaft of the pump spun out the middle of the impeller and the pump will need to be replaced. Wal-Mart has them pretty cheap.

BTW - this is not the same impeller that cools your engine. :Doh:

:lol:

Thanks for the info! I will work on it tonight when I get home. This is my first boat so I am still learning the operation of the motor and where everything is.

martinarcher

Good point. It has to be pretty deep or it won't pump anything at all. It certainly won't pump the bilge dry.

I agree with above- The bildge pump has a tiny plastic impeller that breaks and spins on the bildge pump shaft. That's usually why pumps run and don't pump.

You've got 2 other impellers. Raw water pump and cooling pump. The cooling pump impeller can't be replaced (u replace the whole pump).

Are you from Ohio or just a buckeye fan?