Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swamped my boat last night, not once

MaddMaxx

My wife and I went out for a sunse cruise last night and we brought our German Shorthaired Pointer with us for the first time in our new VLX. I set the anchor, the dog jumps off the boat and swims after a goose towards the main channel where there is boat activity. I pull anchor, the wife powers the boat while I was standing up and I fell into the back center section with the speakers and remote. we drive out to get him back in the boat and I'm steaming mad by this time. I drive back to the cove, turn the boat around to prep for throwing anchor and my wake hits the bow head-on. Down goes the bow and in comes the water. Now I'm ticked. I move the boat to another area so the dog can swim to shore and made the same preparations for setting anchor. Well, I saw the wake coming and wanted to power over it but my wife was standing up. I should have gunned it to see how she likes it, but I didn't. Down goes the bow and in comes a huge gush of water. Now I have standing water in the boat and I am pi$$ed. After I calmed down some, I pulled the anchor and went back home. Pulled the wet-vac and sucked out as much as I could. No sunset viewing for me last night. My boat is the only refuge I have for peace and serenity. No more dog on the boat. Wife is going to get a lecture about responsibilities when she's the captain.

I feel better now, thanks for letting me vent.

Ha, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you feel better now. :lol:

You did the right thing to save your wife from a tumble down the boat. Would have been funny and perhaps served her right, but you did the right thing.

My wife and I went out for a sunse cruise last night and we brought our German Shorthaired Pointer with us for the first time in our new VLX. I set the anchor, the dog jumps off the boat and swims after a goose towards the main channel where there is boat activity. I pull anchor, the wife powers the boat while I was standing up and I fell into the back center section with the speakers and remote. we drive out to get him back in the boat and I'm steaming mad by this time. I drive back to the cove, turn the boat around to prep for throwing anchor and my wake hits the bow head-on. Down goes the bow and in comes the water. Now I'm ticked. I move the boat to another area so the dog can swim to shore and made the same preparations for setting anchor. Well, I saw the wake coming and wanted to power over it but my wife was standing up. I should have gunned it to see how she likes it, but I didn't. Down goes the bow and in comes a huge gush of water. Now I have standing water in the boat and I am pi$$ed. After I calmed down some, I pulled the anchor and went back home. Pulled the wet-vac and sucked out as much as I could. No sunset viewing for me last night. My boat is the only refuge I have for peace and serenity. No more dog on the boat. Wife is going to get a lecture about responsibilities when she's the captain.

Thanks for sharing a great story - I've been almost ejected by my wife a time or two myself.

Anyway, regarding boat swamping, it's the price you pay for a ski boat profile. Last year at Cumberland, I let my wife and the ladies take the 'Bu back to Conley Bottom Marina to some ice and extra snacks. When they returned, the boat was completely drenched. There was water in the cupholders on the engine cover! I asked how it happened and she said they were leaving the idle zone and a huge cruiser went speeding up the lake and threw huge rollers into the no wake zone. Not wanting to get in trouble for throwing a wake, she just kept idling into them and got swampped. I told her a boat sinking is more important than not throwing a wake, and next time to goose the throttle to raise the bow and preserve everyone's safety on board!

The good news is there's nothing to rot in the newer Bu's. Run the bilge pump, run the shop vac when home, let the seats dry, and all will be fine.

-- Mike

Don't let the lake water ruin your nite.

Just chill and enjoy.

Be one with the water grasshopper.

Keep all the stuff that should stay dry in a dry box and don't worry 'bout the rest.

Don't let the lake water ruin your nite.

Just chill and enjoy.

Be one with the water grasshopper.

Keep all the stuff that should stay dry in a dry box and don't worry 'bout the rest.

:plus1: Grasshopper!!!!

I have plunged my old boat many times. Last year on of my buds put the bow of my RLXI under for the first time. It was on a late evening ski so the running lights were on. when it went under the bow light bulb blew from the cold water.

Life gos on

Just remember don't make boating not a fun thing or one will not be boating long!

You did what was best suck the water up and get on.

Now go give the CEO a big hug and work with her it takes time to train a first mate. :whistle:

Just one of those days. It is good you got that day behind you, now every other time on the water will seem that much better.

Sounds like you preserved the marriage..... :biggrin:

Live & learn, right?

I have found that my wife responds to a teacher that shes not sleeping with (me). One of my buddies has taught her everything. And she responds to him, learns way more, and way easier on everyone. And when she shows me what she's learned, all is well in the universe.

These days she can backup a trailer, run Perfect Pass, put the boat on the trailer, drive a straight line when towing me, even make it over an opposing boat's wake without getting doused. And more importantly, she's at home doing it, not terrified of pissing me off or wrecking the boat.

I figured it was only fair, since it's 1/2 hers. :rockon:

Glad to hear you decided not to drop the wife to the floor by jamming hard on the throttle. Your night may have been worse that it all ready was.

one tip... If you're just hanging out in cove and Large roller is headed towards the bow just idle the boat left or right and take the roller on the side of the boat.

MalibuNation

It's happens to all of us.

Last year a neighbor who's boated all his life was driving my boat and took a roller ... was ticked ... especially since he knows better ... didn't say anything though.

Edited by MalibuNation
martinarcher

Live & learn, right?

I have found that my wife responds to a teacher that shes not sleeping with (me). One of my buddies has taught her everything. And she responds to him, learns way more, and way easier on everyone. And when she shows me what she's learned, all is well in the universe.

These days she can backup a trailer, run Perfect Pass, put the boat on the trailer, drive a straight line when towing me, even make it over an opposing boat's wake without getting doused. And more importantly, she's at home doing it, not terrified of pissing me off or wrecking the boat.

Man I need to learn from that. Good advice there. Thumbup.gif

Don't sweat it! Try to look at each other and laugh at those moments. I realize sometimes that is simply not possible, and when that happens start looking around and figuring out how it actually could be worse:

1) The dog could have ripped upholstery on it's way out of the boat towards the geese

2) You could have actually fallen out of the boat when she hit the throttle (wouldn't hurt, but grrrrrr)

3) You could be at work still

4) You could have one of those wifes that's too nervous to even touch the throttle, leaving you to do everything, all the time

5) You could have gotten stung by a bee too

Etc, etc. Disappointing night, yes, but it really could be worse. Take it with stride!

I put the nose under twice a couple weeks ago.

We were set-up for surf....and I had about an additional 500 lbs in people in the bow. Needless to say, even a moderately sized wave would have come over the bow.

I figured, it's a boat, it's meant to get wet. As long as we don't sink, I'm not too worried.

Not a proud moment, but not the end of the day.

After many years with an older direct drive, I had taken my share of waves over the bow. Now with the VLX I am well versed on the power up and over routine. Still not perfect, but like Intense said above, it is a boat it is meant to get wet.

how much water? was it fresh or salt water.....

I am in saltwater and work hard not to take water over the bow. I spend alot of time with the other drivers (including my wife) working with them on handling the boat especially when the are pulling........ you need to now how to handle your wake and other boat wakes. I live on an inlet where there are numberous 40 footer crusing up, tugs pushing barges etc.....

salt water over the bow is a no no.........however i have to admit there has been a "incident" Whistling.gif and because it is salt I did the wash up, dry etc........if it was fresh water I would stick it in the sun......................

The boat will dry, you will at sometime get caught in the rain, skiers will fail to drip off before entering etc. etc. etc. What ever you do don't rag on the women, trust me, you want her to like driving the boat. If she gives you a bad pull, gently suggest how to improve it. When it comes to boating, you can yell at your buddies when they are idiots but not you wife

It could be worse. I would never put the safety of someone that I care about over a little 2,3 or 4 inches of water in the boat :biggrin:

I had a friend driving the boat because I had too much to drink last summer. I unroped the front from the pier and he decided to reverse a little bit too quick while I was standing on the front cushion. Needless to say I landed in the water laughing my butt off. I'm still alive and I had a great time. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

The boat will dry, you will at sometime get caught in the rain, skiers will fail to drip off before entering etc. etc. etc. What ever you do don't rag on the women, trust me, you want her to like driving the boat. If she gives you a bad pull, gently suggest how to improve it. When it comes to boating, you can yell at your buddies when they are idiots but not you wife

:plus1: Nice words ol' wise one, that's Yoda like wisdom!

MaddMax I can feel your pain. We all know you did the right thing, but I can imagine that subbing the nose of a new boat would make my blood boil to. The good new is that in a few days you'll be able to look back at that night and laugh at the ridiculousness of it.

Hahaha, well on the bright side you got it out of the way. Maybe it won't happen again and all will be well.

Thanks, all. It's all good now. My wife and I have been boating for ten years now. We made all of the rookie mistakes on our first boat. Not one incident on the second boat of five years. Then this happened to the new boat. To be fair to my wife and best friend, the fly by wire throttle is new to the both of us and it caught her off guard when she threw me to the back of the boat. I don't know how she does it but she loads the boat everytime despite currents, wind, wakes, one eye open and so on. I'm just happy I don't have to do it in front of other people, it probably would'nt be pretty :blush: . She's also the only captain I'll ski behind. Anyway, I spent two days cleaning and wet-vacing the boat. It's all good now! :rockon:

Edited by MaddMaxx

Sounds like all turned out well. I'll have to admit my own version of this, if it makes you feel better. Wife and I were tying up with another boat, she goes under the foremost bow cushion, where we keep the anchor. Somebody :whistle: then bumped reverse and almost tossed her off the front. You should have seen the daggers coming from those eyes! Damn fly-by-wire...

Anyway, don't sweat the petty stuff...pet the sweaty stuff. :shocked:

I drive back to the cove, turn the boat around to prep for throwing anchor and my wake hits the bow head-on.

Tell me you didn't power turn just to stop and drop anchor? :fingerwag:

we manage to put the nose under at least once every time we go out, my boat is loaded right up, we have about 450lbs in the front 600lbs in the centre and 800lbs in the rear, sometimes we will have even more weight but thats usually what we have with 6 people in the boat. you just cant help it sometimes

we will be sitting having lunch and a jetski will go past and it might splash up into the bow

Edited by Nicvtx

Live & learn, right?

Amen to this. I took the wife out to the ski pond several times to get her trained up on pulling me and running the boat around the islands. Needless to say I can't say anything right and everything I say is wrong and she thinks I'm yelling. Out of the three times we tried this I never got to ski. I was really trying too.

I had one of the lake owners ride with her a few times through the lake and then they came and got me. He talked her through everything. She did great and I believe the smart a$$ owner's comment was "Hell, She drives better than you ski"

That was nothing but music to my ears.

It's happens to all of us.

Last year a neighbor who's boated all his life was driving my boat and took a roller ... was ticked ... especially since he knows better ... didn't say anything though.

Dunno 'bout that.

I think it usually happens when someone else, i.e. Wife, Friend or other idiot is driving our boats. I have yet (knocks on wood) to have it happen when I am driving. I tend to PAY ATTENTION when I drive. My cousin's brand new boat got drenched once when he let his wife drive. She hasn't driven since...haha. My Wife very rarely drives. She knows how anal I am about my boat and that makes her more scared to drive than anything.

Edited by areamike