Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering wheel alignment

I just purchased a wonderful 2008 Vride. The steering wheel is about 100 degrees off center when the boat is going straight, which I would like to correct. I removed the trim piece on the wheel, and it appears the wheel is held onto the shaft by a simple bolt. Does anyone know whether wheel alignment can be changed simply by removing that bolt, then aligning the wheel? Would doing that mess anything up? Thanks

I just purchased a wonderful 2008 Vride. The steering wheel is about 100 degrees off center when the boat is going straight, which I would like to correct. I removed the trim piece on the wheel, and it appears the wheel is held onto the shaft by a simple bolt. Does anyone know whether wheel alignment can be changed simply by removing that bolt, then aligning the wheel? Would doing that mess anything up? Thanks

yes you can loosen the bolt and move the wheel but having the wheel off 20 degrees or so will help you keep the boat straight

counters the prop torque etc.

plus if you get it dead straight you are the luckiest person I know

Plus torque steer varies as your speed varies. Set it at 20 mph & it'll still be off at 30 mph or....... :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

There are a few places to corect an out of alignment steering wheel. As you noted, you can pull the steering wheel which is postioned on the shaft by a keyway. There are three slots to choose from, one should get you closer but this is a very coarse adjustment. Some wheels have six screws holding the wheel to the adapter, this gives you a finer degree of adjustment by rotating the wheel in 1/6 turn increments. Another method is the attachement of the steering cable at the rudder, there should be a series of slots on the cable housing that allow some adjustment in the distance of the cable end to the rudder attachment. The steering gear can also be adjusted to correct wheel alignment. The last two options demand you verify end to end steering conditions so that you don't offset your ability to get full lock on each end of the steering (full left or full right).

There are a few places to corect an out of alignment steering wheel. As you noted, you can pull the steering wheel which is postioned on the shaft by a keyway. There are three slots to choose from, one should get you closer but this is a very coarse adjustment. Some wheels have six screws holding the wheel to the adapter, this gives you a finer degree of adjustment by rotating the wheel in 1/6 turn increments. Another method is the attachement of the steering cable at the rudder, there should be a series of slots on the cable housing that allow some adjustment in the distance of the cable end to the rudder attachment. The steering gear can also be adjusted to correct wheel alignment. The last two options demand you verify end to end steering conditions so that you don't offset your ability to get full lock on each end of the steering (full left or full right).

Thank you!