Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Vote..

Woodsprinter

I am narrowing to several boats here.. Curious which boat you would go for... Which is best deal? It will be used for my family (5)and family friends. 40% Wakeboard, 40% Wakesurfing, 10% Kneeboarding and 10% tubing..

All of them have basic stereo system including tower speakers.

07 LSV23, Blue/Black/White, HH, 168hours, Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, Loaded minor scratches at Malibu dealer - $48K

06 LSV23, Blue/White/Black, HH, 220hours, Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, Teak platform some scratches at Malibu dealer- $43K

06 LSV23, Blue/White, Monsoon, 237 hours, Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, No cover, Repo, some scratches at non-Malibu dealer- $43K

08 VLX, Vapor Blue/White, Monsoon, 101 hours, Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, none, private seller, $46K

07 VLX, White/Red/Black, Monsoon, 232 hours, , Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, minor scratches at non- Malibu dealer- $37K

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woodsprinter

• Bill_AirJunky

• Bobby Light

• travlnmannn

I think the first thing you need to decide on is whether you want a big boat (VLX) or a really big boat (LSV) and then go from there. Our VLX has been plenty roomy for our family and friends, but then we don't usually spend a whole day floating and partying in the boat.

I am narrowing to several boats here.. Curious which boat you would go for... Which is best deal? It will be used for my family (5)and family friends. 40% Wakeboard, 40% Wakesurfing, 10% Kneeboarding and 10% tubing..

All of them have basic stereo system including tower speakers.

07 LSV23, Blue/Black/White, HH, 168hours, Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, Loaded minor scratches at Malibu dealer - $48K

06 LSV23, Blue/White/Black, HH, 220hours, Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, Teak platform some scratches at Malibu dealer- $43K

06 LSV23, Blue/White, Monsoon, 237 hours, Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, No cover, Repo, some scratches at non-Malibu dealer- $43K

08 VLX, Vapor Blue/White, Monsoon, 101 hours, Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, none, private seller, $46K

07 VLX, White/Red/Black, Monsoon, 232 hours, , Quad Ballast, Power Wedge, Loaded, minor scratches at non- Malibu dealer- $37K

07 23lsv with HH all day long. Have the dealer buff out the scraches for you, they should have no issues doing this.

Edited by 06vlx

Get a look at the Vapor blue VLX on the water. I can't tell you how many times we've seen that color boat sitting at at a dealers, unable to sell. Then they get it on the lake & it sells in a heartbeat. For some reason that color just looks phenomenal on the water & not such a big deal on the trailer.

The HH is a good engine, but will use oil. Seems like the HH owners I know are notorious for being out on the lake, see the low OP light, stop in the middle of whatever their doing, and fill it with oil again.

And like Obski said, do you need a big boat or a huge boat? Also, is parking the boat an issue (in an RV space or a boat slip)?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

this would be a no brainer for me. 07 lsv, have them buff as much as they can and get on the water!!

What ever you do, go with the 23 over the 21, may not seem like much,but when you have your family and then thier friends and all that it gets full fast. Also the price on that boat seems pretty darn good.

Get a look at the Vapor blue VLX on the water. I can't tell you how many times we've seen that color boat sitting at at a dealers, unable to sell. Then they get it on the lake & it sells in a heartbeat. For some reason that color just looks phenomenal on the water & not such a big deal on the trailer.

The HH is a good engine, but will use oil. Seems like the HH owners I know are notorious for being out on the lake, see the low OP light, stop in the middle of whatever their doing, and fill it with oil again.

And like Obski said, do you need a big boat or a huge boat? Also, is parking the boat an issue (in an RV space or a boat slip)?

That's not normal.

Malibu quit making the hammerhead correct? This was due to multiple engine failures. They have replaced with a hammerhead crate motor available in the axis. Because of this, I wouldn't touch the one w the hammerhead. I would go after the vlx in the 30s.

Just found out that red hull has some blisters therefore I omitted that boat from my list...

Malibu quit making the hammerhead correct? This was due to multiple engine failures. They have replaced with a hammerhead crate motor available in the axis. Because of this, I wouldn't touch the one w the hammerhead. I would go after the vlx in the 30s.

Now you scare me with HH! Is it true? multiple failures!?

That's not normal.

These are Bakes customers. Ask them about it. The HH burns oil, it's the norm for that motor. HH owners are told to not let that motor run low on oil for any length of time. Wasn't there even a dipstick change at one point so that HH owners could get an extra quart of oil in it?

I will usually carry a quart or two of extra oil in my Vride (with the Monsoon). Maybe once a year I'll actually have to put a quart of oil in the engine to top it off.

If your not carrying a ton of weight (people or ballast), then the Monsoon is more than enough power for the VLX. The extra weight of the LSV may make it necessary to have that power on tap. But we ride behind Monsoon powered LSVs all the time & have never noticed a lack of power.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

The hammerhead is still available in the Axis if I'm not mistaken, they also stopped offering the 8.1, so would you not touch a boat with the 8.1 either becuause they stopped offering it? Some HH motors had issues with oil comsumption, not all did and it was mostly on the 05-06 years.

These are Bakes customers. Ask them about it. The HH burns oil, it's the norm for that motor. HH owners are told to not let that motor run low on oil for any length of time. Wasn't there even a dipstick change at one point so that HH owners could get an extra quart of oil in it?

I will usually carry a quart or two of extra oil in my Vride (with the Monsoon). Maybe once a year I'll actually have to put a quart of oil in the engine to top it off.

Again not all HH's burn oil. It's not the NORM as you describe. Yes there was a dipstick change from Indamar. You shouldn't let any motor run low on oil. I never added a drop to mine all last season, it never got low.

Edited by 06vlx

I have the Vapor blue and your totally right !!! I wasn't too crazy about the Vapor Blue until I had it on the water. What an amazing color on the water. I've never seen a better combo. Although the one OP is looking at is White with Vapor Blue. Interesting combo.

OP noted minor scratches on all the boats except the 08. To me that says something about the people that took care of the boat. I had a 12 yr old boat with almost no scratches.

Edited by travlnmannn

The hammerhead is still available in the Axis if I'm not mistaken, they also stopped offering the 8.1, so would you not touch a boat with the 8.1 either becuause they stopped offering it? Some HH motors had issues with oil comsumption, not all did and it was mostly on the 05-06 years.

Correct... I have the HH in a 2010 AXIS. I believe they may be calling it something different... like raptor 400???

I have only put 30 hours on the HH since we got it in feb but have not had to add oil.

Again not all HH's burn oil. It's not the NORM as you describe. Yes there was a dipstick change from Indamar. You shouldn't let any motor run low on oil. I never added a drop to mine all last season, it never got low.

OK. I hope they have changed that in more recent years. But suffice it to say that there have been people experience the HH using some oil regularly. I admit that the 3 HH owners I ride with regularly all own boats from 2005, 2006 & 2007. None of them have had any issue with their engine. They are all diligent about keeping it topped off & accept the oil use as a way of life (like gas use). It's just something to be aware of.

OK. I hope they have changed that in more recent years. But suffice it to say that there have been people experience the HH using some oil regularly. I admit that the 3 HH owners I ride with regularly all own boats from 2005, 2006 & 2007. None of them have had any issue with their engine. They are all diligent about keeping it topped off & accept the oil use as a way of life (like gas use). It's just something to be aware of.

I talked to Paul and he said they they've sold probably 100 boats with HH in them. In that 100 boats he only know of 2 boats that had issues.

I have the Vapor blue and your totally right !!! I wasn't too crazy about the Vapor Blue until I had it on the water. What an amazing color on the water. I've never seen a better combo. Although the one OP is looking at is White with Vapor Blue. Interesting combo.

OP noted minor scratches on all the boats except the 08. To me that says something about the people that took care of the boat. I had a 12 yr old boat with almost no scratches.

Send me the picture. I want to see what it looks..

I agree with the other posters about the 07' 23 LSV with the HH. The extra 2 feet is huge and makes a big difference when loaded up with the family and friends. I just sold my 2003 23 LSV with the hammerhead and ordered a 2010 23 LSV. I had absolutely no problems with my HH, including no oil use. I simply changed the oil at the beginning of each season and checked it regularly. Never down at all. I wanted to get the HH again in my new boat but it is no longer available, nor is the 8.1. I was told that the fact that the HH and 8.1 are no longer offered had nothing to do with problems with the motors. Rather, it was because GM is no longer making the 8.1, nor the components for the HH. This change occurred within the last few months. When I ordered my boat (6 weeks ago), the only motor options were the LS3 and new LS7. However, Malibu had just been advised that the LS3 is no longer available as GM was stopping making that motor as well. I opted for the Monsoon 350, as I couldn't justify the $20,000 price tag for the LS7 upgrade (probably could have gotten it for a mere $16,000).

I talked to Paul and he said they they've sold probably 100 boats with HH in them. In that 100 boats he only know of 2 boats that had issues.

Lawrence has one of them. He's accepted that it happens & has had no issues since (that he's told me about).

His boat is weighted pretty heavy too. Plus he rides close to 28-30 mph. So the additional power is used.

Yes many haven’t had an issue but when Indmar acknowledges a problem it’s more than a mere coincidence, I’ve known people that have never had an issue and those that have. With that said once I’ve had the engine gone thru and felt comfortable I’m not taking on a problem, no different than what I’d do for the monsoon, the HH wouldn’t scare me. I think the difference between the HH and the 8.1 was the HH was redesigned and replaced by the LS3, whereas the 8.1 due to lack of demand and emissions issues complying w/ air quality are the reasons it was dropped.

Keep in mind you’ll most likely need to pay sales tax on a dealer boat…

Condition of the boat and inspection of it would really help determine which boat I’d consider, but first you’ll need to decide what size you really want and can store/tow etc. Not a huge fan of the vapor blue but I’d more than likely throw my $.02 on the ’08 VLX low hours, private seller, no scratches to deal w/. You didn’t mention trailers but that should also factor in at some point and definitely needs to be address in the price depending upon condition.

07 23lsv with HH all day long. Have the dealer buff out the scraches for you, they should have no issues doing this.

Yep...if comes down to losing a sale, they will fix the gelcoat for you. Its a buyers market..... Treat your purchase accordingly