Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storing Gear

newguy

I keep my boat on a covered list at the local marina. I keep the boat cover on as well. My question is what to do with wet gear after an outing (ropes, life jackets, boards, tubes, etc). When everything is dry, I just keep it under the cover - if it gets stolen so be it. But what do you recommend when everything is wet? Just leave it all in the boat and under the boat cover... or drag it all back to the truck and take it home to dry. Both have pros and cons, just curious what others do.

Also spiders are a huge problem, I know I'm reaching with this question, but any suggestions on how to keep spiders and spider webs away?

thanks,

I keep my boat on a covered list at the local marina. I keep the boat cover on as well. My question is what to do with wet gear after an outing (ropes, life jackets, boards, tubes, etc). When everything is dry, I just keep it under the cover - if it gets stolen so be it. But what do you recommend when everything is wet? Just leave it all in the boat and under the boat cover... or drag it all back to the truck and take it home to dry. Both have pros and cons, just curious what others do.

Also spiders are a huge problem, I know I'm reaching with this question, but any suggestions on how to keep spiders and spider webs away?

thanks,

For spiders put up a couple of high pitched wind chimes hanging from the canopy. I rarely have a spider, and my boat is uncovered on a lift. My wife heard of the wind chime thing years ago and put one up when we bought the lift.

Sorry, no help on the gear, kept in the lakehouse garage.

I take my gear home & hang it up. I ride behind so many different boats that if I don't I'd have to go down to my boat to get all my stuff every other time I went out.

Also, I have way too much money invested to just let some punk have it.

As long as I use a cover that covers all the vents I don't have issues with spiders. I had a snap on cover on my 205 & it would fill up with bugs in one night. I bought a dark colored, drawstring cover (like Evolution) & bugs can't get in there, and it's too hot for them to live to tell about it.

If you've got just a few items that are not too wet, you are probably fine to leave them in the boat, but if you have wet vests and such, they aren't going to be smelling too nice if left in the boat.

Here is what we set up in our garage to store gear and hang up wet items:

B0001362.jpg

If you've got just a few items that are not too wet, you are probably fine to leave them in the boat, but if you have wet vests and such, they aren't going to be smelling too nice if left in the boat.

Here is what we set up in our garage to store gear and hang up wet items:

B0001362.jpg

Did you drill holes on an angle to get the PVC in there. I need to set up something similar in my shed I have crap all over the place.

Did you drill holes on an angle to get the PVC in there. I need to set up something similar in my shed I have crap all over the place.

There is a thread about this on here somewhere. I got the idea here and modified it slightly. It has worked very well.

I have also heard of tossing dryer sheets (anti-static) into those dark corners to keep spiders out. Of course in a boat they would probably end up getting wet and stinking. Maybe just toss abunch on the floor and when you uncover it put them into a ziplock.

I have also heard of tossing dryer sheets (anti-static) into those dark corners to keep spiders out. Of course in a boat they would probably end up getting wet and stinking. Maybe just toss abunch on the floor and when you uncover it put them into a ziplock.

That's what we use for winter storage, Bounce sheets in all nooks and crannies keeps many insects and animals out. Much better than mothball smell, IMO. It would take a long time for them to smell bad in my experience.