Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 V-Ride vs 09/10 Ride

98buphon

I am looking at stepping up to a V-drive. I have a deposit down for a 2010 Ride but was looking at possibly saving some money and buying used. Are there any differences in the hulls from 07 to 10?

If you look DYI/Resource>Malibu Specs, you will see the hull difference.

07 Ride Hull = pre 04 VLX (21' length) Rear hard tanks in sight.

09-10 Ride Hull = 05-08 VLX (21'6") Rear hard tanks under subfloor (more storage)

I would go for 09-10 Ride..

In 09 Malibu started using the newer (05-08) VLX hull. It's like 6" longer & 6" wider. That doesn't sound like a lot but we thought it felt like it had more room inside.

I am looking at stepping up to a V-drive. I have a deposit down for a 2010 Ride but was looking at possibly saving some money and buying used. Are there any differences in the hulls from 07 to 10?

the difference in wake is very noticeable for wakeboarding or surfing. Even for a beginner like me. I have an 05 and frequently ride behind BS001s 09.....wake envy.

Edited by Ruffdog

the difference in wake is very noticeable for wakeboarding or surfing. Even for a beginner like me. I have an 05 and frequently ride behind BS001s 09.....wake envy.

I've noticed a bigger wake behind my buddies' 09 Vride, compared to my 05 Vride. But I have like 1200 lbs of ballast & he has like 3000 lbs. Unloaded I notice his wake is wider, but not much more than that.

He has the Monsoon with the Cats & says he gets better mileage, even fully loaded, than his older VLX he used to have.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I've noticed a bigger wake behind my buddies' 09 Vride, compared to my 05 Vride. But I have like 1200 lbs of ballast & he has like 3000 lbs. Unloaded I notice his wake is wider, but not much more than that.

He has the Monsoon with the Cats & says he gets better mileage, even fully loaded, than his older VLX he used to have.

What I have noticed is the transition. Very smooth on the newer models......almost a V shape with mine. I am not a good enough wakeboarder to appreciate it, but it certainly better for surfing.

Can't help you on the difference of wakes because I've never ridden behind an older VRide. But I can say my wake without aftermarket ballast pretty much rocks.

I can for sure attest to the fuel consumption. I have an 09' 23 VRide with 350 and cats. Takes about 2 weekends of wakeboarding and cruising to empty the tank. Thought I was going to have to take a second mortgage after I got ride of my 98' Sunsetter. But I think my consumption might be the same or less. Maybe with hull and engine config it worked out?

Edited by travlnmannn

You should get out behind one and see what you like. We have really liked the boarding wake behind our '06 VLX. We demoed a VTX on a Cut Diamond hull and didn't care for the boarding wake. The ramp and width was very different and we preferred our wake. Now the slalom wake was a different story...

You should get out behind one and see what you like. We have really liked the boarding wake behind our '06 VLX. We demoed a VTX on a Cut Diamond hull and didn't care for the boarding wake. The ramp and width was very different and we preferred our wake. Now the slalom wake was a different story...

Was the slalom wake better or worse? Because I do still like to slalom which is why I am looking at the new Ride series rather than a wakesetter.

Not many slalom skiers behind a VLX or Vride..... too punishing? :crazy:

The VTX was sold by Malibu with a bit of direction towards slalom skiers. Definitely would be worth a test ride for you.

Was the slalom wake better or worse? Because I do still like to slalom which is why I am looking at the new Ride series rather than a wakesetter.

The VTX has a very skiable slalom wake. Not so much my VLX. I have some friends that ski behind it frequently, but just because we are out and it is a chance to ski. I don't find it particularly enjoyable to ski behind a VLX. My old '01 Sunsetter VLX did have a very nice slalom wake, but it was on the diamond hull and that made a big difference.

Dont even think on the older V ride. Go with the 2009/2010 its the wakesetter Hull and a great boat. You cant compare both (wider, grat room and storage and grat wake)

Dont even think on the older V ride. Go with the 2009/2010 its the wakesetter Hull and a great boat. You cant compare both (wider, grat room and storage and grat wake)

ALL Vrides are the old Wakesetter hulls.

With all this new info you all have provided me with I found a 05' VLX that is super nice and would save me a lot of money. Since I already know the hull is the same what differences would I be looking at?

everyone has varing requirements and needs. I have read the posts and agree with most, the 09 is a bigger and most likely better boat in several ways. However bigger is not always better Biggrin.gif . main reasons I bought my 07 was price, warranty and size. because it is a little narrower it sits lower in the trailer and just fits in my garage. no monkeying with the tower, drop it and push it in, also can leave the swim grid on with a few inches to spare.

I am decent wakeboarder, surfer and skater..the wake is awesome, 500lbs bag in corner with wedge and surfing is good. I am putting in 750lbs bags this weekend and expect it will only get better. I do not use any balast, just the wedge for boarding and it is awesome. but again this is for me as I dont think I will ever be a great wakeboarder.

other thing I think is important is a warranty, which i got as it was a new 07. if I could have fit an 90 / 10 in my gargage I would have most likely bought one....I think but because the new hull is better man did I get a deal so maybe not.....Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

A used VLX may be the way to go. Definetly worth a little research on price and availability. Or even a used 23 LSV if you want to look at an even bigger boat.