Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Options.....

arrydjay

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of ordering a new vlx and am trying to choose which engine to go for, is it worth upgrading to the 350? Any issues with either one of the engines? How does fuel economy compare between the two? Any help would be great!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• travlnmannn

• Bobby Light

• wakeboy

• areamike

The Monsoon has been a very reliable engine over the years with plenty of power. I would go for the Monsoon.

Will you be boating at elevation?

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of ordering a new vlx and am trying to choose which engine to go for, is it worth upgrading to the 350? Any issues with either one of the engines? How does fuel economy compare between the two? Any help would be great!

I agree with OBSKI. Really either choice is going to be fine but the monsoon would be better at altitude. I frequently ride behind a 320 and it does fine, tough to tell the difference between it and my 340 actually. Both are bullet proof.

Edited by Ruffdog

Hey guys,

The higher hp normally gets better fuel economy because it doesnt have to work as hard.

Hey guys,

It's a cheap upgrade.... Worth it for resale alone I'm sure.... Go for it.

The higher hp normally gets better fuel economy because it doesnt have to work as hard.

True, but I don't think there is a big noticeable difference. Either way, these boats burn gas. If he mainly boards and runs at 22mph or 2200 RPM, he'll get better fuel economy than running at barefoot or slalom speeds. In the end, I'd go with the monsoon over the LCR.

Edited by areamike

I don't know of anyone who ever complained of having "too much power" in a boat.

I have a 21.5 LSV, with the 320 LCR. It is great, no complaints, but given the choice I would have taken the Monsoon.

If you were ordering a Vride then I would think the 330LCR would be sufficient and wouldn't hurt resale but a VLX I think you have to go with the 350 Monsoon... If I were looking for used VLX I wouldn't even consider an LCR. The buyers who don't care will be happy either way but the buyers who are looking for the Monsoon will Rule your boat out completely...

How much is the Engine Upgrade?

From what I've seen:

Monsoon upgrade is approximately $1,800.

LS3 upgrade is approximately $8,000

LS7 upgrade is approximately $20,000.

The Monsoon is a no brainer if you're ordering a boat. Like the last poster said, some people won't care, but some people wouldn't even consider your boat if it had the LCR.

From what I've seen:

Monsoon upgrade is approximately $1,800.

LS3 upgrade is approximately $8,000

LS7 upgrade is approximately $20,000.

The Monsoon is a no brainer if you're ordering a boat. Like the last poster said, some people won't care, but some people wouldn't even consider your boat if it had the LCR.

I had two boats with the monsoon and i have to say that is a great engine. We never have problems we sold the 2009 VLX with 500 Hours w/ no issues and the new VLX has 250 Hours and the engine runs great.

We load the boat w/ fat sacs and with the Acme 1235 prop we have a great hole shot.

I had two boats with the monsoon and i have to say that is a great engine. We never have problems we sold the 2009 VLX with 500 Hours w/ no issues and the new VLX has 250 Hours and the engine runs great.

We load the boat w/ fat sacs and with the Acme 1235 prop we have a great hole shot.

That is great Luciano, do you ever set foot on dry land? I'd love to get in 500 hours/year.

Ignore the horsepower and compare the torque. As far as dependabiltiy, they are both the same mechanical engine.

Edited by electricjohn

If you were ordering a Vride then I would think the 330LCR would be sufficient and wouldn't hurt resale but a VLX I think you have to go with the 350 Monsoon... If I were looking for used VLX I wouldn't even consider an LCR. The buyers who don't care will be happy either way but the buyers who are looking for the Monsoon will Rule your boat out completely...

How much is the Engine Upgrade?

Them is fightin words :Tease3:

How does a VRide constitute an LCR engine and not a Monsoon? Vrides have the same hulls as the wakesetters. Electronics and a few less options (more money in my pocket) are truly the biggest differences.

Easy there, big guy. Pennery's comment has nothing to do with performance. His only point is that the Ride series is intended to be more of a budget choice (ie, fewer electronics and options), and that the LCR fits nicely with that image. A VLX on the other hand is more upscale, and the Monsoon fits nicely with that image.

Bottom line is that someone who is looking for a VLX over a V-Ride is probably less concerned over the $1800 upcharge than they are in the upscale image. Not to say that someone out there wouldn't consider a VLX with an LCR, just that those buyers are probably fewer and further between.

Them is fightin words Tease2.gif

How does a VRide constitute an LCR engine and not a Monsoon? Vrides have the same hulls as the wakesetters. Electronics and a few less options (more money in my pocket) are truly the biggest differences.

Actually it's not the same. Vride is the old Wakesetter. The new one has a different hull.

I have an 08 VLX with the LCR. Never have had a problem, never have needed more power. I bought mine used, though it was barely used. I know some people care what engine they have, but the LCR is a fine engine and though people with the Monsoon will be able to demand more money on resale, on the used boat market you find less people concerned with what engine you have and more concerned with how you have taken care of that engine. Personally I would go with the Monsoon and if I bought it new, which I was considering, I would have got the Monsoon.

So you will be able to demand more money on resale with a Monsoon, but you won't find many people walking away from a nice used VLX because it has an LCR.

Easy there, big guy. Pennery's comment has nothing to do with performance. His only point is that the Ride series is intended to be more of a budget choice (ie, fewer electronics and options), and that the LCR fits nicely with that image. A VLX on the other hand is more upscale, and the Monsoon fits nicely with that image.

Bottom line is that someone who is looking for a VLX over a V-Ride is probably less concerned over the $1800 upcharge than they are in the upscale image. Not to say that someone out there wouldn't consider a VLX with an LCR, just that those buyers are probably fewer and further between.

Thanks Jerry, Precisely what I was suggesting...

Ya but that applies more to VLX buyers that are buying new. I think someone looking to buy a used VLX is probably closer in preference to someone looking to buy a v-ride. If there were two used VLXs one with an LCR and one with a Monsoon, then you can afford to be a little picky and may go for the more expensive Monsoon, but honestly an LCR is not a deal breaker in most cases. I do agree though, if you are buying new.

Edited by wakeboy

For me the 320LCR was the ticket. I bought in 07 and the last thing I wanted was a first year Cat boat. The boat runs great and if I had the Monsoon I would just need to ask people don't give it full throttle on starts. I use my boat for slalom skiing I am not on a privet lake so another 10 feet in the water just makes no difference to me.

I have two other people I ski with who have Monsoons and both ask not to have full throttle starts.

I did not give a rats a$$ about resale as I plan on owning this boat for some time. I also like the boat as it is a bit quieter.

For me the 320LCR was the ticket. I bought in 07 and the last thing I wanted was a first year Cat boat. The boat runs great and if I had the Monsoon I would just need to ask people don't give it full throttle on starts. I use my boat for slalom skiing I am not on a privet lake so another 10 feet in the water just makes no difference to me.

I have two other people I ski with who have Monsoons and both ask not to have full throttle starts.

I did not give a rats a$$ about resale as I plan on owning this boat for some time. I also like the boat as it is a bit quieter.

It is funny we are talking about all this horsepower, since my buddies I/O has less power but will out run my VLX with ease and I doubt 450 hp in my boat would change that. Don't get me wrong, I always welcome more power. I just don't think the power is what makes or breaks these boats. It isn't about speed as much as it is about the experience. My buddies I/O is a very nice boat, but when they are parked next to each other and we are taking large groups out on the lake, my boat fills up before the first person gets on his boat. His boat is more practical, but not by that much. We have similar layouts (opposed to my old DD). His has a smoother ride, thanks to the deeper hull, and he can back up in two directions (so jealous). Yet everyone flocks to my boat, and it isn't because it is blinged out, I think it just looks like a really nice boat and we are lucky that those looks apply to every single boat in the line-up and those looks age well. When I see a 2001 Malibu out on the lake I still think that it is a great looking boat. Ok my tangent is over.

I wouldn't agree that the LCR fits nicely with that idea of a "budget boat" as you call it. I was more concerned that I had the options now that couldn't be upgraded at a later date.

Actually it's not the same. Vride is the old Wakesetter. The new one has a different hull.

Uhhhh....if you look at the specs for '09 as well as '10 you will see that the ride series and the wakesetters have the same hull. Correct me if what I'm reading is wrong please.

I wouldn't agree that the LCR fits nicely with that idea of a "budget boat" as you call it. I was more concerned that I had the options now that couldn't be upgraded at a later date.

Uhhhh....if you look at the specs for '09 as well as '10 you will see that the ride series and the wakesetters have the same hull. Correct me if what I'm reading is wrong please.

Yes the ride series and wakesetter series hulls are different. The 23 ride is the pre 08' wakesetter 23lsv hull. The 21 ride is the pre 09' wakesetter VLX hull.

Yes the ride series and wakesetter series hulls are different. The 23 ride is the pre 08' wakesetter 23lsv hull. The 21 ride is the pre 09' wakesetter VLX hull.

I'm confused why the specifications page on here says that they are all the V25 Wake hulls. 08 and previous shows the SV23 Wake hulls. But 09 and 10 shows V25 Wake hull which is the same as the wakesetter.

Edited by travlnmannn