Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

first start of the year: didn't

This was my first winter with an inboard - former outboard owner (blush). Did the winterizing myself (including following the "Winterization Mod" - big help).

Last weekend it came time to start her up from hibernation. Took many turns to get it started. It was as if the safety lanyard was pulled off, but it wasn't.

Just crank, crank, crank. I took breaks to prevent the starter from overheating. While doing so I noticed that the gauges didn't do their pleasing little jumpy thing where they level-set to zero (bzzzzzttt), then bounce to the true reading when the ignition is "ON", prior to starting.

Ok, something's wrong, but the starter was turning over.

After a couple more tries, the gauges kicked in, then the engine started right up. No probs with the gauges since.

Ideas on what might cause the gauges to not power-up BUT allow the engine to turn over <but not start> ?

I'd like to avoid this problem on the water.

Thanks,

-chris

lanyard. Had the same issue and corresponding freakout a couple of weeks ago. Engine will crank with lanyard removed, but gauges are dead.

:plus1: Anyone of you use the laynard? I am sure 95% of us Don't use it... I am thinking about bypassing it so I don't worry about it anymore.. I could unplug kill switch and connect wires together without going thru switch. Will it work out?

Ideas on what might cause the gauges to not power-up BUT allow the engine to turn over <but not start> ?

I'd like to avoid this problem on the water.

Thanks,

-chris

Did you happen to wiggle/remove/replace the laynard during the debacle? Id' guess laynard too, or Canon plug needs some attention maybe.

:plus1: Anyone of you use the laynard? I am sure 95% of us Don't use it... I am thinking about bypassing it so I don't worry about it anymore.. I could unplug kill switch and connect wires together without going thru switch. Will it work out?

I wouldn't bypass it but I could see replacing it with an actual kill switch instead of a lanyard/kill switch.

Edited by MalibuTime

lanyard. Had the same issue and corresponding freakout a couple of weeks ago. Engine will crank with lanyard removed, but gauges are dead.

:plus1: note that the removable part that holds the switch closed will fatigue over time and allow the kill switch to open.

"wiggle the kill switch" is one of the first things to try on any 'no start'.

I wouldn't bypass it but I could see replacing it with an actual kill switch instead of a lanyard/kill switch.

Where do I find an actual kill switch? What does it look like?

Where do I find an actual kill switch? What does it look like?

This would work, and you can find stuff like this at most any auto parts store. I've used a setup like this on some older cars i've restored and hid it in sneaky places. It would do about the same for your boat.