Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Glue

My boat is older (1997) and the edges of the carpet, where it runs up the walls of the boat, is coming unglued and falling down. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what kind of glue to use. The carpet glue I had was not tacky enough to hold it to the wall and I can't hold it down until it dries. I also tried Gorilla Glue and an industrial adhesive in a caulk gun. I saw some spray adhesive at the Home Depot. Not sure if that will work or not.

Thanks!

I used 3M's Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive. I sprayed both the back of the carpet and the fiberglass, let is sit for a few minutes, then stuck the carpet back onto the hull. Its been holding for a year now.

Edited by ride_everyday

Don’t waste your time or money on anything except Leech Glue. Look in your phone book for smaller “mom & pop” hardware stores as you won’t find it in Lowes or Home Depot. You can get “waterproof” carpet glue from Overtones but it’s worthless. I know because I used it. Once you put Leech Glue down…it’s down for good.

Here's the link you want.

I used 3M's Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive. I sprayed both the back of the carpet and the fiberglass, let is sit for a few minutes, then stuck the carpet back onto the hull. Its been holding for a year now.

The spray adhesive was going to be my next step, Plan D I guess! :crazy:

I figured I'd try stuff I had laying around before I bought anything.

Don’t waste your time or money on anything except Leech Glue. Look in your phone book for smaller “mom & pop” hardware stores as you won’t find it in Lowes or Home Depot. You can get “waterproof” carpet glue from Overtones but it’s worthless. I know because I used it. Once you put Leech Glue down…it’s down for good.

Here's the link you want.

I'll keep my eye out for that stuff. I had never heard of it...

I had the exact same issue with the carpet going up the sides in the open bow and up the side below the observer's seat when I bought the boat. I kept kicking around ideas, looking at adhesive, etc. Then it hit me - after years of grunt construction work in college, one thing I distinctly remember is getting that stupid Liquid Nails on my jeans and it never comes off. So, that's what I used. Sets up fast, squishes out nice, good stuff to work with. Pitch the rest of the cheap tube when done. Prior owner used some other white stuff that didn't hold up, but the Liquid Carpeting hasn't budged (and won't). Also, he made a mess with the other glue and got it on the sewn edges. To fix that, I took a spray can of white paint and a spray can of black paint and sprayed them into a dixie cup, mixing it up 'till I got the right color, then dabbed over his white glue with a Q-tip. It looks perfect, the prior owner (a friend) was amazed. I knew I did well when after shampooing it this spring and bringing it home after drying, another boat owner buddy asked if I replaced the carpet over the winter.

I had the exact same issue with the carpet going up the sides in the open bow and up the side below the observer's seat when I bought the boat. I kept kicking around ideas, looking at adhesive, etc. Then it hit me - after years of grunt construction work in college, one thing I distinctly remember is getting that stupid Liquid Nails on my jeans and it never comes off. So, that's what I used. Sets up fast, squishes out nice, good stuff to work with. Pitch the rest of the cheap tube when done. Prior owner used some other white stuff that didn't hold up, but the Liquid Carpeting hasn't budged (and won't). Also, he made a mess with the other glue and got it on the sewn edges. To fix that, I took a spray can of white paint and a spray can of black paint and sprayed them into a dixie cup, mixing it up 'till I got the right color, then dabbed over his white glue with a Q-tip. It looks perfect, the prior owner (a friend) was amazed. I knew I did well when after shampooing it this spring and bringing it home after drying, another boat owner buddy asked if I replaced the carpet over the winter.

Thanks, I might give it a shot!