Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie question

Indyski

Hi all,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 1999 Sunsetter VLX. I have a couple of questions...

1. There are some "stops" under the table that are for a cooler - Was this cooler a Malibu cooler or will any cooler fit? If any cooler will work does anyone know what size it needs to be?

2. What is the button just in front of the throttle? It looks like it says somthing about a V drive?????

3. Overall what should I expect as far as overall handling of the boat. I come from nothing but Direct Dive inboards, I have never owned a V drive.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

1) I believe it came with a Coleman marine 48 qt. cooler. Any cooler will fit, you'd just have to move those black wedges, they're just screwed down. I never have my cooler on the floor, it's always in the trunks.

2) If you pull that silver knob in front of the throttle out, it will disconnect the trans. from the motor. You would only use this to rev. the motor up while preventing the prop from spinning. An action that is rarely, if ever, needed. Probably more for mechanics to diagnose things I guess.

3) I think you'll love the boat but, might get tired of that one piece sun pad over the engine and waiting for the cover to open and close. Welcome to the site.

Can't help with the cooler.

The button just in front of the throttle should be a neutral If pulled out well applying throttle the engine RPM should increase but it should not go into gear.

The boat will not be as nimble as a DD but will perform similar.

2) If you pull that silver knob in front of the throttle out, it will disconnect the trans. from the motor. You would only use this to rev. the motor up while preventing the prop from spinning. An action that is rarely, if ever, needed. Probably more for mechanics to diagnose things I guess.

...or to rev up the motor cause it sounds so darn COOL! :rockon:

Yes, and :welcome: TO THE SITE!

Welcome to the BuCrew. You will love the boat and never go back to anything else...except a bass boat of course. Since you asked about the button by the throttle, NEVER go above idle on the trailer where the prop will spin. That would be a very bad thing.