Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sunsetter Oil Change

Going to be putting my boat in tomorrow. This is the second season I have owned it and want to do an oil change. Just wondering what kind of oil you guys recommend. It's a 2002 Sunsetter and has the Monsoon upgraded engine. Thanks.

-Matt

I use Chevron Delo 15/40... If you do a search there has been numerous disussions about oil on here.

I think you should be using a heavy duty 15W-40 oil. A lot of people on here use the Rotella T. You can pick it up at Costco or Sams Club for a pretty good deal. I think Wal Mart has it too.

Here's a link to the engine manual for your year. For future reference you can find it in the DIY section of this site.

After cruising this forum and reading the discussions, I use 15W 40 as well. I pretty much use Rotella T from WalMart becasue it is easy to acquire.

If you have a kid (or not) take some diapers and place them beneath the oil filter to catch the spillage. It works great.

:plus1: -> Rotella 15w40...reasonably priced at Wally world. 11.50 for a gallon + 2.97 a quart. I usually just use a Fram PH5 for the filter. No need to get fancy. Just change your oil when it calls for a change and you're good.

I keep my boat at a marina, and the mechanic who works there used to work at the local Malibu dealership. He threw a fit when I brought Rotella T to my boat. He pointed at his fork lift and said that he uses Rotella T in that. He says there are too many detergents in that oil to be used in a Corvette boat engine. I'm switching to Mobil 1 15w-50 full syn today!!

I keep my boat at a marina, and the mechanic who works there used to work at the local Malibu dealership. He threw a fit when I brought Rotella T to my boat. He pointed at his fork lift and said that he uses Rotella T in that. He says there are too many detergents in that oil to be used in a Corvette boat engine. I'm switching to Mobil 1 15w-50 full syn today!!

Thanks for the tip. I used to run Mobile1 20W50, but I cannot find it at Wal Mart anymore. It was 19 bucks for a 5 quart jug which was perfect.

Thanks for the tip. I used to run Mobile1 20W50, but I cannot find it at Wal Mart anymore. It was 19 bucks for a 5 quart jug which was perfect.

I couldn't find 20W 50 at wal mart either. Had to go down to the auto parts store.