Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat is a Dogg

Ok so i got to take my 2000 wakesetter out for the first time. Was super excited took my wife, my 4 year old son, 2 year old daughter and mom and dad. Got out of the no wake zone and punched it.........Felt like I had an anchor in the water. This boat is a beauty and only has 170hrs. It took quit a while to get up and move once it did it cruised fine. When i say slow, i filled the ballast to see if it would level out and I couldn't get above 15 mph or 2800rpm's. Does not seem right. Also has the 350 Indmar. I had asked before about some minor dings in the prop and I have plans to fix that. But would anyone have thoughts on why so slow and not responsive. My boat partner and I were talking and think we should change the fuel filter. Thanks for any help you can give.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• firefed22

• areamike

• 85 Barefoot

• FXIGUY

You didn't still have the trailer attached, did you?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Was the boat in limp mode due to overheating? When is the last time you changed the impeller?

You didn't still have the trailer attached, did you?

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Was the boat in limp mode due to overheating? When is the last time you changed the impeller?

I was thinking the same thing and was hoping someone else was too. :rofl:

Edited by WakingMeHappy

ha good idea I did check. That's funny.

The impeller was replaced when we bought it. Some blue one that he read about on this site. The guy I got it from works at the fire house with me and never used it. His loss my gain. He changed the oil and put and new impeller. I didn't think it was running hot. Can't remember the number but middle of the gauge. Plus it was like that from the start.

Now you know why he didn't use it!

Did it run smooth or misfire? If it was smooth, is there an obstruction preventing the throttle lever from traveling, or is the throttle linkage messed up? Did it "feel" more powerful at different throttle positions? Have you checked the tranny fluid? When was the last time ignition parts were checked?

Some easy checks to start with. That's gotta be frustrating, new toy not working right.

Not sure what a perfect pass is? Sorry rookie.

Throttle would go all the way and didnt feel sticky. Not sure about the ignition stuff. Do you think the fuel filter is a good thought? After a while it would get about 30or 35mph. Just takes a long time. While pulling a boarder would probably take 200-300 yards to get to 20mph. I know this thing should be faster. Also never say the rpm's get higher than 3200. You are right new boat for me and kinda pissed me off. Still had a great day though.

Perfect Pass is a cruise control and if on will limit your speed to whatever it is set at.

Most stay on even after ignition is off so you don't hafta reset it after last rider.

I agree with previous posters.

Was the fuel old, or did you top it off with new mid or high grade (higher octane) fuel. If not, old fuel could be part of the problem.

If the boat was not run much, and the fuel was not stabilized with a fuel stabilizer then you could have some gummed up fuel lines/injectors/carb./filter (not sure if your motor is FI or not)

Throttle cable/linkage

Fresh plugs/possible plug wires/cap/rotor

Wedge down? While that should not affect you time to plane much, it will affect your ability to go fast (WOT) and drag a bit (over 25 mph)

Temp - guage should be 160-180 degrees.

Edited by MalibuTime

If it does have a perfect pass make sure the wire did not unwrap for the controller. That can happen some time when you give it WOT. There will be a little black knob on the controller just turn it and tighten up the wire

I agree with previous posters.

Was the fuel old, or did you top it off with new mid or high grade (higher octane) fuel. If not, old fuel could be part of the problem.

If the boat was not run much, and the fuel was not stabilized with a fuel stabilizer then you could have some gummed up fuel lines/injectors/carb./filter (not sure if your motor is FI or not)

Throttle cable/linkage

Fresh plugs/possible plug wires/cap/rotor

Wedge down? While that should not affect you time to plane much, it will affect your ability to go fast (WOT) and drag a bit (over 25 mph)

Temp - guage should be 160-180 degrees.

No perfect pass.

No wedge.

We are going to replace the fuel filter. Will check plugs and stuff. Hows the best way to check the wires and all

Boat is fuel injected. Temp was good. I appreciate all this. Its good help

I'd put money on the fuel filter.

fuel filter was done 4 years ago but only 30 hrs. took it out. Not sure how to tell if its old. Also I could hear the fuel pump while idling. Is that kinda normal just a little wine?

My '03 with Monsoon doesn't like old gas - I drain it out at the end of the season and use it in the mower. Then fill up fresh in the spring.

I agree to replace fuel filter - cheap and ez fix.

Little whine isn't bad. Lots of whine could indicate it's going. Typically if the pump is the problem, there will be some stumbling/hesitation when you get on the throttle.

Fuel filters: replace them.

Cap, rotor, and points: replace them if they haven't been replaced.

Spark plugs and wires: replace them if they're the originals.

Sea Foam: run half a can in the gas and the other half, SLOWLY induce through the throttle body while the engine is running, then shut it off, let it sit for 15 minutes, then re-start and take it out for a good hard run. You'll smoke like a beeyotch as all the Sea Foam and carbon is burned out.

Good luck!

On that year boat you (or someone before you) had control of speedo setting...so, it may just be way off. Use the tach to determine engine response and speed and if there is a problem. This may sound like a dumb question, but were all the plugs (drain plugs) in the boat? That's how I determined one was out of my boat, drove like a pig.

After all the "cheap" troubleshooting, if it still has issues. It may be time to put a fuel pressure gauge on it. There is a place on outside edge of one of the fuel rails where you can hook up a pressure gauge. You can check with a indmar on what the pressure should be. Also, the fuel line that leads to the injector rails has a tiny little screen in it (there's a little clip that holds it on. you can pop it off and then look in there to see if it is clogged). You might want to check that. Also there is a small screen on the bottom fitting of the fuel pump. When checking these fuel things, make sure you have plenty of rags to catch the residual fuel that will spill out.

Too Much Pressure

Excessive pressure will force too much fuel through the injectors and cause the engine to run rich. Poor mileage, fouled spark plugs, sluggish or surging idle, and black smoke out of the tailpipe can all be caused by an over rich condition. Test the fuel pressure regulator.

Not Enough Pressure

Choppy idle, poor engine performance and misfire can all be caused by low fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure could mean a clogged fuel filter. Check and replace fuel filter before going after the pump. Fuel tank crud can also clog in-tank sock or in-line filters. Test the fuel pressure regulator.

No Pressure At All

Listen for fuel pump whine to hear if the fuel pump is even running. Test for current to the fuel pump. Test the fuel pump relay. Check for the obvious pinched, bent, or even leaking fuel lines. If nothing gets the fuel pump going then replacement could be in the future.

On that year boat you (or someone before you) had control of speedo setting...so, it may just be way off. Use the tach to determine engine response and speed and if there is a problem. This may sound like a dumb question, but were all the plugs (drain plugs) in the boat? That's how I determined one was out of my boat, drove like a pig.

All plugs are in. Boat is just slow. Spedo is not off. RPMS dont get higher than 3200....Last weekend by buddy had it out and thought it was a bit slow. Then he was with me yesterday and said it was and got worse. We replaced the fuel filters. Wondering if they got clogged up. Checked the throttle cable seems like its tight and moves when you push it.

All plugs are in. Boat is just slow. Spedo is not off. RPMS dont get higher than 3200....Last weekend by buddy had it out and thought it was a bit slow. Then he was with me yesterday and said it was and got worse. We replaced the fuel filters. Wondering if they got clogged up. Checked the throttle cable seems like its tight and moves when you push it.

Anything else? Weird vibrations, smoke, etc?

After all the "cheap" troubleshooting, if it still has issues. It may be time to put a fuel pressure gauge on it. There is a place on outside edge of one of the fuel rails where you can hook up a pressure gauge. You can check with a indmar on what the pressure should be. Also, the fuel line that leads to the injector rails has a tiny little screen in it (there's a little clip that holds it on. you can pop it off and then look in there to see if it is clogged). You might want to check that. Also there is a small screen on the bottom fitting of the fuel pump. When checking these fuel things, make sure you have plenty of rags to catch the residual fuel that will spill out.

Too Much Pressure

Excessive pressure will force too much fuel through the injectors and cause the engine to run rich. Poor mileage, fouled spark plugs, sluggish or surging idle, and black smoke out of the tailpipe can all be caused by an over rich condition. Test the fuel pressure regulator.

Not Enough Pressure

Choppy idle, poor engine performance and misfire can all be caused by low fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure could mean a clogged fuel filter. Check and replace fuel filter before going after the pump. Fuel tank crud can also clog in-tank sock or in-line filters. Test the fuel pressure regulator.

No Pressure At All

Listen for fuel pump whine to hear if the fuel pump is even running. Test for current to the fuel pump. Test the fuel pump relay. Check for the obvious pinched, bent, or even leaking fuel lines. If nothing gets the fuel pump going then replacement could be in the future.

I will look for the screens. As far as the boat running it sounds good and does not appear to run rough. So as for the plugs and stuff I would think you would hear the motor running rough or missing. The prop is a 4 blade the numbers on it are 381 13.5x17.5v 1.5" Not sure what all this means. I know different pitch may be better for hole shot and bad top end. However I dont think this is the issue sense I have neather

So much sounds like you are not getting fuel or it is running rich.

Have you checked your fuel injectors with an OHM meter?

Unplug the little plugs that plug into each fuel injector. You can remove them by depressing the spring loaded clamp with your thumb and then lift them off one at a time. Once off you will see two metal nodes inside each injector. Touch each one at the same time with an ohm meter. The engine should be OFF when doing this. They should be around 12ohm +-.1 or .2 each.

Another trick is "listening" the the injectors:

Step 1

Put a long screwdriver directly on the injector while the car is running.

Step 2

Hold the handle up to your ear. You should be able to hear a rhythmic clicking sound. If you do, your injector is good. Hearing a clunk-clunk type noise means you have found your problem.

Step 3

Hearing silence or unusual clicking patterns means either the injector, wires or plunger may be bad or sticking. You will either have to clean or replace them.

Also, I never hear my fuel pump whining except for when I first turn the key on. A fuel pressure test may shed more light. If you can hear the fuel pump while the motor is running and with the engine cover closed, that's pretty loud in my opinion. :unsure:

EDIT: I just re-read your post. Someone here needs to chime in and verify that is the optimal prop for your setup. 4 blade 13.5x17.5. I know different props can affect RPM and hole shot and WOT, and that size may have nothing to do with your issue, but it would be good to know for sure if that is the right prop for your boat.

Edited by areamike

So much sounds like you are not getting fuel or it is running rich.

Have you checked your fuel injectors with an OHM meter?

Unplug the little plugs that plug into each fuel injector. You can remove them by depressing the spring loaded clamp with your thumb and then lift them off one at a time. Once off you will see two metal nodes inside each injector. Touch each one at the same time with an ohm meter. The engine should be OFF when doing this. They should be around 12ohm +-.1 or .2 each.

Another trick is "listening" the the injectors:

Step 1

Put a long screwdriver directly on the injector while the car is running.

Step 2

Hold the handle up to your ear. You should be able to hear a rhythmic clicking sound. If you do, your injector is good. Hearing a clunk-clunk type noise means you have found your problem.

Step 3

Hearing silence or unusual clicking patterns means either the injector, wires or plunger may be bad or sticking. You will either have to clean or replace them.

Also, I never hear my fuel pump whining except for when I first turn the key on. A fuel pressure test may shed more light. If you can hear the fuel pump while the motor is running and with the engine cover closed, that's pretty loud in my opinion. :unsure:

Could the whining be associated to the transfer case in the V-drive? Also if the injectors were sticking, would it not run rough? Maybe the pump? Although I am thinking more on those filters cause it got worse in 2 weekend day trips. The guy I bought it from didn't use it for a year and a half.

Could the whining be associated to the transfer case in the V-drive? Also if the injectors were sticking, would it not run rough? Maybe the pump? Although I am thinking more on those filters cause it got worse in 2 weekend day trips. The guy I bought it from didn't use it for a year and a half.

...but you drained fuel before starting, right?