Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Forgot to drop my tower before driving into garage

I made a mistake and now need to find a way to fix. I have an illusion x tower, it now has a crack in it about 6 inches from the rope holder. Has anybody done this? What is the solution?

I made a mistake and now need to find a way to fix. I have an illusion x tower, it now has a crack in it about 6 inches from the rope holder. Has anybody done this? What is the solution?

Oh my, you need a new tower. It's cast aluminum and to fix it by welding is questionable.

You may want to check for stress or spider cracking around the tower bases on each side as well.

I met a guy that drove his boat through a fast food drive thru and pushed his tower through the gunnels, not a Bu.

Edited by 06vlx

A good welder can weld it right up. The bigger problem will be stripping it and recoating it. And possible cracks where it mounts to the boat.If you drill both ends of the crack, grind it out and strip the area to be welded it will be fine.

Did it once with a bike rack on the roof (with bikes of course) and drove into a parking garage. It ripped the bikes and rack right off the roof. The bikes were OK but the roof and trunk of my BMW 728i was not pretty. :cry:

Dont feel bad, i caught the door on my boat storage with my tower --- didnt realize until I pulled away pulling the boat ... $600 dollars in damages & one pissed off old man -- yikes.

A good welder can weld it right up. The bigger problem will be stripping it and recoating it. And possible cracks where it mounts to the boat.If you drill both ends of the crack, grind it out and strip the area to be welded it will be fine.

That is true, a good welder can do cast. I've seen cast counter weights welded on lift trucks and seen them hit and broken again, and the cast weld held, the counterweight broke at a new place. But you definitely need to do your homework on the welder, it's not just for anyone.

We rode in a ski show in False Creek in downtown Vancouver (BC) one year.... at the old World's Fair site. The local Malibu dealer (Paul at High Output) put it on. They had a small man made island out in the water with an aluminum arched walking bridge out to it. At some point Jake & a couple other guys & I were just standing around BSing. Paul drove a Response with a Fly High extended pylon under the bridge. It was high enough that the windshield cleared without a problem. But the pylon didn't. And obviously he forgot the pylon was up. Like 4 of us saw what was about to happen & yelled at him as he drove under the bridge at like 10 or 12 mph. The crash made a super loud CLANG on the bridge, and it broke the bow cable & damaged the pylon support under the floor of the boat. Oh, and scooped about 100 gallons of water over the transom :lol:

I did a anchor or rear running light on my old boat going onto my lift.

The one thing was the boat always looked like it was going fast after that. :Doh:

Twice so far I've backed my boat into the garage and the wedge hit the wall.

It barely hit but enough for me to feel it in the truck. I need to put a tennis ball up or something!

My ex-brother in law had a '69 Cutlass. Worked on it for years. Frame up restoration. Finally, he got it done, and it was absolutely beautiful, charcoal grey, rebuilt 350, new everything. He was going to surprise my sister that he was dating at that time and take her cruising and pick up some of her friends too (they were 19 I think?). He parked behind the house and went to the front to ring the bell. While he was doing that, she got in the Volvo and backed it out of the garage...which was behind the house...right into the side of the Cutlass, which wasn't there two seconds ago. Which, of course, had PLPD only. That's the worst I've seen.

Did it once with a bike rack on the roof (with bikes of course) and drove into a parking garage. It ripped the bikes and rack right off the roof. The bikes were OK but the roof and trunk of my BMW 728i was not pretty. :cry:

I did this once with the bike rack and bikes on. Wiped out my wife's bike and sent the Space Case onto the driveway. The case bounced and it still works fine.

My current garage has a high door such that I can leave the tower up with plenty of clearance.

I did this once with the bike rack and bikes on. Wiped out my wife's bike and sent the Space Case onto the driveway. The case bounced and it still works fine.

My current garage has a high door such that I can leave the tower up with plenty of clearance.

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that this will only happen once Blush.gif

It barely hit but enough for me to feel it in the truck. I need to put a tennis ball up or something!

I cut up a 4X4 into three 8 inch lengths, one of the ends at 45 degrees (poor mans wheel block) glued / screwed them together side by side. then I placed them on the floor where I need to have the wheel stop..........works perfect and is heavy enough that it has never moved. (I do have a black line on the floor at the back of the blocks, just to check it once and a while).

I have the same (only 2 glued together) for the front of the wheel......and take both when we go camping perfect cheap wheel blocks manufactured in Canada ROFL.gif

:lol: Glad iam not the only one.I hit the gutter and pretty much cut it in half with the racks,I couldnt help but laugh at myself.no damage to the boat or tower just had to get a new gutter thankfully.

I actually just did the same thing the other day, except I wasn't going real fast and I just bumped the top of my garage with the tower. My tower is ok, but now I've got a few little hairline cracks in the gel coat where the tower mounts. I'm hoping they don't spread.

It feels better to know I'm not the only one! :whistle:

• 1 month later...

My tower was dropped and still hit the door, bent the heck out of the door and put 2 one foot scratches on my titan tower. any one have any clue if I can get this re powder coated

Ouch. If you are anywhere close to Pittsburgh bring it to me to be welded. If not any good welder can weld cast aluminum.

My tower was dropped and still hit the door, bent the heck out of the door and put 2 one foot scratches on my titan tower. any one have any clue if I can get this re powder coated

Ouch. Most powdercoating shops should be able to do this for you. The clincher is they need to have an oven big enough to hang your tower in it. A few phone calls should find a local shop around you pretty easily. Just a guesstimate on the cost, probably should be around $300 - $500 depending on the color, how often they do that particular color & how big a run they do. Typically black & white are the least expensive & can be done in a large run with a lot of other pieces to keep costs down.

Might be more if you just bring the boat in & ask them to do it all. Remove the tower yourself, and all the parts from the tower & they should be able to sandblast & powdercoat it pretty quickly.

I stuck one of these Parking mats on my floor. best thing ever for backing in a boat. Gives you something to aim for and a place to STOP