Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hole in transom

ricnvic

recently I got a new stereo (head unit) and with this my Pioneer wired remotes will not work. I have one remote by the dash and the other mounted thru the transom (I wish I had not done that) and now if I take the remote out I will have about an 1-3/4" hole in my transom, I know I could have it fiberglassed but short of that does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks, Rick

recently I got a new stereo (head unit) and with this my Pioneer wired remotes will not work. I have one remote by the dash and the other mounted thru the transom (I wish I had not done that) and now if I take the remote out I will have about an 1-3/4" hole in my transom, I know I could have it fiberglassed but short of that does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks, Rick

Keg tap, Binding Lube pump, add a light or buy a head unit and put back in the remotes

make it bigger, changing your impeller would be a snap!! :tomato: Why did you decide to go with a hu that's not compatible with that remote or any other remotes that would fit in it's place. That fg work will outweigh any cost savings if that's the case.

make it bigger, changing your impeller would be a snap!! :tomato: Why did you decide to go with a hu that's not compatible with that remote or any other remotes that would fit in it's place. That fg work will outweigh any cost savings if that's the case.

The Keg tap would be great, help yourself surfing. I wanted the Kenwood HU as it allows you to use the IPOD and control it from the IPOD, some only let the HU control the IPOD. If you are using the IPOD for all your music it makes the remote useless other than for volume if your all out of the boat swimming around by the back deck. I don't know how many times people sitting on the back getting ready to wakeboard or coming in the boat have hit the remote and hit the source button when your rocking out and the next thing you know a your listing to high volume static from being changed to the FM tuner. If I was to order another boat I would never get the transom remote, it's kinda like the pro bowl in football, it sounds like a good idea but it usually sucks.

Has anyone ever had that big of a hole fiberglassed? can you tell the hole was there afterwards?

Thanks

The Keg tap would be great, help yourself surfing. I wanted the Kenwood HU as it allows you to use the IPOD and control it from the IPOD, some only let the HU control the IPOD. If you are using the IPOD for all your music it makes the remote useless other than for volume if your all out of the boat swimming around by the back deck. I don't know how many times people sitting on the back getting ready to wakeboard or coming in the boat have hit the remote and hit the source button when your rocking out and the next thing you know a your listing to high volume static from being changed to the FM tuner. If I was to order another boat I would never get the transom remote, it's kinda like the pro bowl in football, it sounds like a good idea but it usually sucks.

Has anyone ever had that big of a hole fiberglassed? can you tell the hole was there afterwards?

Thanks

I am certain the right guy can do the job and you would never know. I am not that guy, strictly mechanical. My patch job turned out pretty darn good though.

Depending on where it is...

I'd buy a through-hull fitting (like used for bilge or ballast) and stuff a boot lube hose out of it...

P

I'd put in a thru hull fitting for a back flush. So that instead of it being a negative point when selling, you could call it a positive point "It's set up for the thru hull flush, just not plumbed in yet". Plus you can seal it up with the cap nice and tight.

Or you can make it a nacho cheese dispenser too.

Thanks

Rick, if you go to a good fiberglass shop, you will never know that the hole was ever there.

I could make a recommendation, but it's not that close to you. If you feel like going all the way to Rancho Cordova, you could go to Morrison Marine. I had some glass work done there on my previous boat and they did a really good job. Sorry they aren't closer to you.

Rick, if you go to a good fiberglass shop, you will never know that the hole was ever there.

I could make a recommendation, but it's not that close to you. If you feel like going all the way to Rancho Cordova, you could go to Morrison Marine. I had some glass work done there on my previous boat and they did a really good job. Sorry they aren't closer to you.

I may have to get that number from you and get a quote maybe from them and see what kinda cash we are talking about, I had a small blister in my boat a year ago that Bell Aqua (or whoever they crontract to) fix it and you could not tell where it was. I will probably be at the lake this weekend and maybe get that info from you. Hope you had some time to relax sunday night after I saw you, I was sure jealous seeing you heading to your HB and me leaving mine. :cry: ..

P.S. I hope you didn't laugh to hard at my son-in-law backing my trailer down the ramp, that was his first time and I was trying to show him how to back a truck and load a boat in hopes that someday he will buy one.

Here's the link for Morrison Marine. We won't be on the HB this weekend though.

I thought you're SIL did fine with the backing. I saw you had trouble getting the boat centered on the trailer though. :whistle:

the trailer was crooked :whistle: LOL

thanks for the info.