Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat pulls hard to right

This has been doing this since last summer when i first got the boat lsv23 2002. Went to the lake yesterday (Don Pedro) what a wonderful day. Spent the night on our houseboat knocked the spider webs out of her was great. Anyway this is annoying but when i let go of the steering wheel even for a second it wants to pull hard to the right, I have to hold the wheel to the left about 7 o'clock for maintain a straight line. I have heard of some kind of adjustment or a filing down the back side of the rudder. I have searched the site and cant seem to find the article. Any help would be great. PS and be nice don't beat me up this time

This is normal for inboard boats. If you have a trim tab on your rubber it can be adjusted. Do a search in the forums and you will find a number of threads about this.

To add to what Waking me happy mentioned, not only is it normal, but it is desirable. The reason for it is that it helps the operator drive straight. If the steering were adjusted neutral the boat would wander. You can use the trim tab on the rudder to tune it to your liking. Don't worry about it to much and have fun. :rockon:

i don't think i have a trim tab. just not used to it my Mastercraft 205 direct drive didn't pull that hard. how can i get the steering wheel straight.'

i don't think i have a trim tab. just not used to it my Mastercraft 205 direct drive didn't pull that hard. how can i get the steering wheel straight.'

If it's like mine you don't. My wheel and rudder are aligned when on the trailer. But when in the water and moving, not straight. Again, that's normal. I guess you could pull the wheel off and off-center it on the trailer so it's straight when in the water. I don't know if you could get it perfect because it will depend on speed, wind, skier pull, ect.

Edited by WakingMeHappy

You can certainly tune the rudder pull to your liking. As mentioned, it is desirable to have some pull to the right so that the boat will be easier to keep straight when a skier is pulling back and forth (that is because you will tend to keep the wheel straight by only having to keep some left steer tension in the wheel as opposed to moving the wheel back and forth if the rudder was "neutral").

Two ways to tune, either with the adjustment tab if your boat is equipped or by grinding the rudder to create or reduce torque. There are postings on how to do that in this site, or on several others (google rudder torque). Assuming you have a local dealer, they can also help with this. To increase right steer torque, you grind some off the right trailing edge of the rudder basically at a 45 degree angle, a small amount does go a long way so go slow.

You can also straighten the steering wheel, at the steering cable to rudder attachment point or even in the steering gear itself.