Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat will Not Start

Last week I changed the transmission hoses on a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter LX. Today the boat will not start. Before the hose change everything ran great. When you turn the key, the guages move, the fuel pump starts, you hear a faint click, but the engine does not turn over. The battery is fully charged. Could this be an ECM or starter issue or something else? Is there a method to checking the ECM? I have checked all connections throughout the boat. I found 1 loose yellow wire under the dash. I assumed this wire would go to the ingnition since it had a u shaped terminal and the ignition was the only thing behind the dash that would accept it. There was a loose wire at the starter and I tighten it Anyone have any ideas? I kind of thinking something to do with the ECM. I had to move it to install the new tranny lines, but I was very gentle with it.

Edited by dalecothran

Check your lanyard is it hooked up? Pull it off and work the switch two or three times.

Are you in neutral?

I would not think the ECM would stop it from cranking.

Last week I changed the transmission hoses on a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter LX. Today the boat will not start. Before the hose change everything ran great. When you turn the key, the guages move, the fuel pump starts, you hear a faint click, but the engine does not turn over. The battery is fully charged. Could this be an ECM or starter issue or something else? Is there a method to checking the ECM? I have checked all connections throughout the boat. I found 1 loose yellow wire under the dash. I assumed this wire would go to the ingnition since it had a u shaped terminal and the ignition was the only thing behind the dash that would accept it. There was a loose wire at the starter and I tighten it Anyone have any ideas? I kind of thinking something to do with the ECM. I had to move it to install the new tranny lines, but I was very gentle with it.

Your battery my have a dead cell in it,even if it shows that its fully charged or 12.7 volts.each cell will have to be tested! good luck

No lanyard on the boat. Moved throttle around and it is in neutral, however it is acting just like there is a lanyard on the boat. Everything works but no starting.

Your battery my have a dead cell in it,even if it shows that its fully charged or 12.7 volts.each cell will have to be tested! good luck

Tried to crank from Battery # 2. No luck....same thing.

Does a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter have any sort of built in lanyard system? I'm just thinking that I found the loose yellow wire under the dash. I hooked it back up to the ign switch. Hopefully this was the right place and the yellow wire was not some sort of lanyard system that is always on.

martinarcher

Does a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter have any sort of built in lanyard system? I'm just thinking that I found the loose yellow wire under the dash. I hooked it back up to the ign switch. Hopefully this was the right place and the yellow wire was not some sort of lanyard system that is always on.

Got a pic of the yellow wire your referring to? Might help someone figure out what it is. The yellow wire on my boat closes the starter solenoid, but your could be different.

this my help

same thing happened to me and turn out I knocked the tranny cable off the linkage

causing the trans to remain in gear so wouldn't start

hooked it back up started

its just above the trans on the drivers side

Problem Fixed!!!! I took "My Malibu's" suggestion. There is a sensor on top of the tranny that has 2 wires running to it. One had came off, I put it back, still no start. Changed wires around and manually moved the tranny cable. It seem as though it was stuck. Moved trottle at drivers station a couple of times. It started. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I really do appreciate it. Dang boat kept me awake nearly all night thinking of what it could be. I was going to take it to a repair shop today. I'm sure they would have had a grand time with the bill to fix it.

Edited by dalecothran

my malibu ,you the man! :yahoo::guns::werule:

happened to me after installing all my led's almost had to bring the boat in to the dealer

I traced every wire back to the motor even jumped the starter

I know you're pain

glad it's fixed :thumbup:

I was getting really worried. I looked at all of the wires and felt rather positive that it had something to do with a sensor or loose wire. "My Malibu" you really saved me! :thumbup: !!

Edited by dalecothran

Problem Fixed!!!! I took "My Malibu's" suggestion. There is a sensor on top of the tranny that has 2 wires running to it. One had came off, I put it back, still no start. Changed wires around and manually moved the tranny cable. It seem as though it was stuck. Moved trottle at drivers station a couple of times. It started. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I really do appreciate it. Dang boat kept me awake nearly all night thinking of what it could be. I was going to take it to a repair shop today. I'm sure they would have had a grand time with the bill to fix it.

And charged you a grand.

Glad it got fixed. :clap:

Nice, glad to see your problem is fixed. have you ever thought about becoming a supporter on this very helpful site? i did!

Just a thought......

I was getting really worried. I looked at all of the wires and felt rather positive that it had something to do with a sensor or loose wire. "My Malibu" you really saved me! :thumbup: !!

:werule:

Nice, glad to see your problem is fixed. have you ever thought about becoming a supporter on this very helpful site? i did!

Just a thought......

thanks for reminding me ,

my subscription lapsed

:plus1: I can vouch for my malibu.....good guy. Very helpful when my wife had a trip to the ER. :)

how are you guys doing?

next trip to portland let you know

how are you guys doing?

next trip to portland let you know

We are good..except the weather. Ya make sure you let us know....we owe you an "incedent free" ride. :)

We are good..except the weather. Ya make sure you let us know....we owe you an "incedent free" ride. :)

will do

Edited by my malibu