Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LEDs/bling

So the oznium discussion motivated me to spend a little $. I got the LEDs and thought - this will be easy enough to basically replace the existing LEDs. So, I cut the first line, hook up the new LED and flip the INT light switch and nada. I'm thinking - wow, its really hard to screw this up -- wtf?!

So, after double checked, and second guessing, I break out the volt meter. The interior LEDs are only getting 10V! Are they seriously only 10V LEDs?! So, I think, surely the voltage drop isn't THAT bad.

So, I hook up at the switch. 10V! WTF!? Is there really a 10V power rail!? Or have I completely gone nuts.

The NAV lights were reading 12V.

So, now I guess I need to find a 12V power source under the dash, hook up my extra ACC switch, and run a new wire around the boat.

Again - did I crash too hard and knock some sense out of me? Or is this expected? Thanks.

So the oznium discussion motivated me to spend a little $. I got the LEDs and thought - this will be easy enough to basically replace the existing LEDs. So, I cut the first line, hook up the new LED and flip the INT light switch and nada. I'm thinking - wow, its really hard to screw this up -- wtf?!

So, after double checked, and second guessing, I break out the volt meter. The interior LEDs are only getting 10V! Are they seriously only 10V LEDs?! So, I think, surely the voltage drop isn't THAT bad.

So, I hook up at the switch. 10V! WTF!? Is there really a 10V power rail!? Or have I completely gone nuts.

So, now I guess I need to find a 12V power source under the dash, hook up my extra ACC switch, and run a new wire around the boat.

Again - did I crash too hard and knock some sense out of me? Or is this expected? Thanks.

Yeah the 10v thing sounds weird. Are your batteries fully charged? Did you check to see if the interior lights were working before you replaced them, could tell you if the power issue was there before the swap? Even so the LED's should still work. They will work if you hook them up to a 9v battery.

Existing LEDs were working. Batts showed 14.4V today on the water.

I'll run a hot line straight to the batt and verify the LEDs are good.

Check to make sure the fuses are good, sometimes when you have a blown fuse you still show 12v. on a volt meter but it's just a surface voltage. also, if your fuse is good? the circuit should show 13v. or higher not 12. (unless batt. are also showing a surface voltage)

Edited by upinya

The silver wire is positive and the copper is negative on the ozniums I just installed. You could have the polatrity wrong

I'd like to make up some cool excuse, but in the end it had to be user error. All the usability lights are now installed. Time to add the bling lights now!