Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

**** jet skis

midjb

Had my first ride of the year today and had a blast but got a quick reminder of why I loathe jet skis or should I say those irresponsible jet ski riders (seems to be a lot of them!). A buddy of mine was riding and fell and a jet skier tried to cut over and jump our wake and literally missed him by inches! He eventually came back around and gave us a half hearted apology. Needless to say he left with an earful. PAY ATTENTION! Why are they even allowed on the water???

I am very glad to hear that no one was hurt! I don't know why there is no special Jet Ski license like there is a special motorcycle license. Those things are sooo dangerous when in the hands of irresponsible people.

This is always a touchy subject for me though as I am an avid rider of stand up Jet Ski’s. That said I would NEVER follow a rider, NEVER cut across the wake of a boat pulling a skier, and NEVER EVER F'up a calm lake (I'll be too busy skiing and boarding myself). I have often approached other jet skiers while out on my ski to tell them to leave the wakeboard and ski boats alone.

So please, hate the rider not the ski. We're not all idiots.

Now with THAT I 100% agree.

Also glad no one was hurt. So many jetski bashing threads in existence, no need to go there. But every type of boat owner has the rest of the boat owners loathing them. Why are they allowed on the water???

Sailboaters - the power yachts hate 'em because they take forever to shoot a gap, think they have right-of-way when they don't (under power, regardless if a sail is up or not)...

Power yachts - sailboaters think they're disrespectful and dangerous with the huge wakes they throw plowing close to shore.

Go-Fast-Be-Loud Cigarette style boats - everyone hates 'em and stereotypes the owners as washed up fat gold-chain-wearing overly-hairy-yet-balding past-middle-age-men with small D1#k$. And they tend to be rude in groups of other boaters.

Ski and wakeboard boats - people hate 'em because they think they own the lake and that their sport is somehow more important than other sports - and they think that access to waterways should be proportionate with how much their boats cost.

Fishing boats - they're always in the way of any boat that is not fishing.

And Jet skis. Well...

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Truly - very glad no one was hurt. :thumbup:

I am very glad to hear that no one was hurt! I don't know why there is no special Jet Ski license like there is a special motorcycle license. Those things are sooo dangerous when in the hands of irresponsible people.

This is always a touchy subject for me though as I am an avid rider of stand up Jet Ski’s. That said I would NEVER follow a rider, NEVER cut across the wake of a boat pulling a skier, and NEVER EVER F'up a calm lake (I'll be too busy skiing and boarding myself). I have often approached other jet skiers while out on my ski to tell them to leave the wakeboard and ski boats alone.

Same reason there isn't a special license to drive your boat.

I agree that jet skis can be a pain, but I ride one a lot too. Other boats can be just as much of a pain as the jet skis

Pennsylvania has a law that you must pass a boaters safety course in order to drive a PWC. Trust me when I say it doesn't make that much of a difference. Most people just don't care and have no respect for others. I used to own a 4 seater Yamaha some years ago and at the time loved it. The absolute last thing I would ever think of is jumping a wake with someone being pulled behind that boat! I could never live with myself if I hit someone because I was following too close or doing something irresponsible like that. It blows my mind that people don't think of that when they follow too close or jump wakes.

martinarcher

Now with THAT I 100% agree.

Also glad no one was hurt. So many jetski bashing threads in existence, no need to go there. But every type of boat owner has the rest of the boat owners loathing them. Why are they allowed on the water???

Sailboaters - the power yachts hate 'em because they take forever to shoot a gap, think they have right-of-way when they don't (under power, regardless if a sail is up or not)...

Power yachts - sailboaters think they're disrespectful and dangerous with the huge wakes they throw plowing close to shore.

Go-Fast-Be-Loud Cigarette style boats - everyone hates 'em and stereotypes the owners as washed up fat gold-chain-wearing overly-hairy-yet-balding past-middle-age-men with small D1#k$. And they tend to be rude in groups of other boaters.

Ski and wakeboard boats - people hate 'em because they think they own the lake and that their sport is somehow more important than other sports - and they think that access to waterways should be proportionate with how much their boats cost.

Fishing boats - they're always in the way of any boat that is not fishing.

And Jet skis. Well...

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Truly - very glad no one was hurt. :thumbup:

ROFL.gifROFL.gif Good post!

Jetskis (aka PWC's) - a shameful waste of perfectly good fiberglass and gasoline. I for one am in favor of a formal operators liscense process for boaters, PWC operators, anyone operating a powered water craft, similar to what is required for a regular automobile drivers liscense. Might help educate the completely clueless at least somewhat.

Ed

Had my first ride of the year today and had a blast but got a quick reminder of why I loathe jet skis or should I say those irresponsible jet ski riders (seems to be a lot of them!). A buddy of mine was riding and fell and a jet skier tried to cut over and jump our wake and literally missed him by inches! He eventually came back around and gave us a half hearted apology. Needless to say he left with an earful. PAY ATTENTION! Why are they even allowed on the water???

i hate them too. the problem is the owner may be responsible but when they have friends over they just let them take it with no training! we saw a someone riding 2 years ago jumping wakes. they pulled up to another boat and started driving circles around him. anyone want to guess what type of boat it was... marine patrol LOL!!! busted and arrested for bui!!! it was great.

Joe

I can see where jet skies can be fun but there are just too many irresponsible people using them. The Rangers on the lakes I use have told me that if I see people on the water acting unsafe to call 911. I haven’t had to do it yet but it will be interesting when I have to.

martinarcher

i hate them too. the problem is the owner may be responsible but when they have friends over they just let them take it with no training! we saw a someone riding 2 years ago jumping wakes. they pulled up to another boat and started driving circles around him. anyone want to guess what type of boat it was... marine patrol LOL!!! busted and arrested for bui!!! it was great.

Joe

WOW. That dude must have been loaded.

• 4 weeks later...

What I hate is how some people seem to think that they have more of a right to be on the water than somebody else based purely on the type of watercraft they are using. Powerboats, Sailboats, PWC's all have to share the water. Yes, sometimes there can be annoying situations, and yes there are some s***ty operators...but that would be the same for all types of watercraft, just deal with it, the water is there to share. You cant just say PWC's should be illegal because there are a few irresponsible riders, that is totally unfair to the rest of the PWC community.

it might not have helped in your case but you should always be prepared to crank the boat around and power yourself between whatever watercraft is too close and the person in the water.

What I hate is how some people seem to think that they have more of a right to be on the water than somebody else based purely on the type of watercraft they are using. Powerboats, Sailboats, PWC's all have to share the water. Yes, sometimes there can be annoying situations, and yes there are some s***ty operators...but that would be the same for all types of watercraft, just deal with it, the water is there to share. You cant just say PWC's should be illegal because there are a few irresponsible riders, that is totally unfair to the rest of the PWC community.

Just deal with it? When someone is acting illegally and irresponsibly and putting my friend or family being towed behind my boat in peril, you think I should just deal with it? What if that were your son, daughter, best ski bud etc who gets run over or killed by a jetskier following to close, breaking the law doing so, and thinking they have every right to do that because we have to "deal with it and share the water"? How you gonna deal with THAT? It's happened and continues to happen because of the selfish uneducated idiots you tell me I should share the water with.

There should be laws, especially for PWC operators, requiring a minimum age (16 at least) and an operators training course at a minimum so they are at least aware of safety concerns and what the rules of the water are. It's the irresponsible parents putting 12 year old kids with no knowledge and no experience on 100 HP+ watercraft and setting them loose on the rest of the boating population, and those same irresponsible uneducated parents themselves, a minority, screwing it up and putting in peril the vast majority. Deal with it? Get real dude, it's a problem that needs to be addressed. I address it by threating to beat their a** if they don't get away from my boat and my skier. Generally a boat full of angry (and in good phyasical condition) skiers threatening some fathead idiot or dumbass kid an a** beating does the trick.

I think people on PWCs need to realize, that just because they know they can get out of the way of every boat due to their manuverability, it doesn't mean everyone else's knows that they will get out of the way. When they cut in front, do a couple spins spraying water everywhere, how would I know that they are going to scoot off and in what direction. I am not saying that they should be illegal, but there are just too many operators that don't understand what it is like to tow someone and have to worry about what the clown on the PWC is going to do next.

Plus, the odds of getting cut off by a jet ski compared to any other watercraft is 50 to 1. I own a Jet ski and use it mainly for traveling to someone else's lake house when it is just myself or someone has taken my boat out already. If they banned jet ski's on my lake I would not be upset. I would prefer a licensed course mandatory for drivers. I think something needs to be done to at least teach some of the drivers how they should behave. This is indeed a problem and not something we should sit by and say "oh well I guess there is nothing we can do"

Edited by wakeboy

Just deal with it? When someone is acting illegally and irresponsibly and putting my friend or family being towed behind my boat in peril, you think I should just deal with it? What if that were your son, daughter, best ski bud etc who gets run over or killed by a jetskier following to close, breaking the law doing so, and thinking they have every right to do that because we have to "deal with it and share the water"? How you gonna deal with THAT? It's happened and continues to happen because of the selfish uneducated idiots you tell me I should share the water with.

There should be laws, especially for PWC operators, requiring a minimum age (16 at least) and an operators training course at a minimum so they are at least aware of safety concerns and what the rules of the water are. It's the irresponsible parents putting 12 year old kids with no knowledge and no experience on 100 HP+ watercraft and setting them loose on the rest of the boating population, and those same irresponsible uneducated parents themselves, a minority, screwing it up and putting in peril the vast majority. Deal with it? Get real dude, it's a problem that needs to be addressed. I address it by threating to beat their a** if they don't get away from my boat and my skier. Generally a boat full of angry (and in good phyasical condition) skiers threatening some fathead idiot or dumbass kid an a** beating does the trick.

Fair enough if they guy was acting an idiot and actually putting your family at risk, I would have got angry as well. However suggesting that pwc's should be made illegal is not the right answer. I don't know what the laws are in the US as I am in Australia, but over here we do have PWC licences and you have to be 16 to get one. Also if you commit 2 offences in a one year period you will loose your licence for a few months. If someone gets caught riding without a licence it's something like $1500 for the rider and $1000 for the owner of the ski.

Ive just come to the conclusion that when the family is on the boat on our preferred lake on a weekend afternoon, it's idle cruising time. If we want to ski/tube/board, we go early in the morning and try to avoid pissing off the fishermen as much as possible and get our runs in.

We were out this past Saturday and had three close calls with kids(ALL 16 year old or so girls) on Jet Ski's. I don't hate Jet ski's...I have two....but for the love of Christ, people need to pay attention....and they need to realize that regardless of "right of way" they are going to be the dead/maimed ones in a collision.

I have stopped towing someone a few times, had them get into the boat, and then gone to find the person who was jumping the wakes, riding too close, or being stupid.

In many of the cases, the person (12 - 15 year old kid) was not even aware that what theywere doing was unsafe - someone had given them the keys and said go have fun. Like many other activities, somewhere they should have been an adult that gave some guideance on what was acceptable. The kids don't know what they don't know.

I was on the dock chatting with my neighbor when she said "My kids love your new boat. They said your wake is huge" Before I could thank her for the compliment she added " They like jumping it on their jet skis". I was as speechless as she was clueless. I should have asked her if her kids like to play paintball.

Fair enough if they guy was acting an idiot and actually putting your family at risk, I would have got angry as well. However suggesting that pwc's should be made illegal is not the right answer. I don't know what the laws are in the US as I am in Australia, but over here we do have PWC licences and you have to be 16 to get one. Also if you commit 2 offences in a one year period you will loose your licence for a few months. If someone gets caught riding without a licence it's something like $1500 for the rider and $1000 for the owner of the ski.

Over here in the US anyone can get on one and ride it. No liscense, no training, just need enough $$$ to purchase and operate one. I'm totally in favor of what you have Down Under, I really wish they'd do that here in the US.

My own son almost got run over by one years ago as he was learning to board. Since then I have very little patience when I see someone following my boat too close, jumping my wake etc. Apologies for the rant, since that occured it's kinda personal with me.

Cheers, Ed

Until there is mandatory education or licensing for operators of all watercraft we will continue to see idiots at the helm. I know many boaters who feel they are knowledgeable responsible operators but have no idea of the basic "rules of the road" on waterways. At the bare minimum all of us should pass a basic Coast Guard safety course before being allowed to operate any watercraft.