Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally got the slalom ski out

obski

We are on a short road trip with the primary goal being to deliver our son's car to him in Monterey, where he will be stationed for the next year while learning Arabic for the Army. We arranged to visit with some friends in Merced for a couple of days. I brought my ski with me and today we spent the day at their ski lake, Bella Lago. We had great weather, though a bit on the cold side, but hey, we're from Oregon, so it felt great. Crazy weather actually, as yesterday we spent the day at Yosemite where the beauty was enhanced by the snow that was falling, and today it was 70F with lots of sun. We ended up having no wind at the lake and enjoyed the great conditions at the lake. Easily the nicest slalom course I have ever been on.

I was happy that I had some pretty good runs (for me anyway) and felt good about my first time on the ski this year. It really makes me want to get out and get in some more skiing soon.

I've never been to the Monterey peninsula before. It sure does have some beautiful views.

you might have to sell that v-drive and get a DD if you keep talking like that OB... :biggrin:

I have given it serious thought. As long as the kids are around enough I'll keep the wakeboarding machine. I have plenty of friends with DD's that want me going out with them.

I can tell I haven't used many of my muscles for some time. I felt just a little sore yesterday morning, but the soreness and stiffness increased all day yesterday to be downright noticeable today. I need to get in more runs for sure. It's a good sore.

• 2 weeks later...

I have given it serious thought. As long as the kids are around enough I'll keep the wakeboarding machine. I have plenty of friends with DD's that want me going out with them.

I can tell I haven't used many of my muscles for some time. I felt just a little sore yesterday morning, but the soreness and stiffness increased all day yesterday to be downright noticeable today. I need to get in more runs for sure. It's a good sore.

OB,

Come on up to Mint lake and take a few runs with us. I'd be happy to take you through the course anytime.

OB,

Come on up to Mint lake and take a few runs with us. I'd be happy to take you through the course anytime.

I just may take you up on that!

I just may take you up on that!

Anytime, just let me know a day or so in advance.

Just got back from the lake. Ran two sets with another guy and we were out of there in an hour.

Ob,

In Norcal and don't drop a line...geeze. Monterey is definitely a great area for the scenery, not so much for the weather though. Are you in PDX or still in CA? I did 15 straight passes last Sunday just to erase some of the bad habits I'm trying to correct....oddly the more tired I became the better the results....lol

Ob,

In Norcal and don't drop a line...geeze. Monterey is definitely a great area for the scenery, not so much for the weather though. Are you in PDX or still in CA? I did 15 straight passes last Sunday just to erase some of the bad habits I'm trying to correct....oddly the more tired I became the better the results....lol

I did 6 passes last time I was out and was feeling pretty good, but am glad I decided to stop at that. I was sore enough a couple of days later. I'm impressed with 15 straight passes at this time of the season.

We just had a very short trip through Norcal. The main purpose of the trip was to get my son's car to him in Monterey. We managed to meet up with his fiance and her parents for dinner in Grants Pass on the way. Stop for some In N Out in Redding and some Chilis in Lodi (most of our Chilis closed up after the owner went to jail for not paying taxes - I guess the Feds frown on that), and then spent a couple of days in Merced with some friends. While there we spent one day in Yosemite on a beautiful day, and one day at their ski lake (I brought my ski with me). We also got some decent ribs at Bubba's (Bad to the Bone) BBQ. We then drove over to Monterey and got to visit with our son for a couple of days before flying home out of San Jose. A pretty fun trip. Made me think that it would be fun to take a road trip with the ski in the car and take a Norcal tour of ski lakes.

Yosemite:

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

Bella Lago:

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

Is that you on the ski?

I wish. That's my friend skiing on his home lake. He's pretty good, or at least much better than I am.

One of our insider jokes is that he offered to let me use his ski if I didn't want to bring my own. The joke is that I tried out his ski on the Willamette 5 or 6 years ago and was feeling pretty good on it until it spit me out before I knew what had happened. I still don't know exactly what happened. My left ribs hurt for a good 4 weeks after that - probably my worst watersports injury. He always offers me a ride on his stick and I always politely decline.