Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best method of fastening bunk carpet?

Getting ready to tackle re-bunking (4- 8' PT 2x6) and carpeting my trailer. Unless others have better ideas, it seems like the (spendy) 3/8" rustproof Monel Staples are the way to go??

BTW, home depot or lowes seems the way to go for carpeting. Just a bit over $20 total for 4 pieces (cut 1' x 12')

TIA,

Dave

I have not done done bunk carpet before but it seems to me staples have the potential of ripping through the carpet over time. Instead of stapples what about roofing nails? Since the large nail head will hold down shingles I would think it would do pretty good with bunk carpet.

re: roofing nails, I'm thinking other vehicles wouldn't fare too well if and when some of the nails back out and end up on the road. Actually "Dave's Law" states that the nail would fall and go under the my own trailer tire causing a flat.

Edited by davemac

Mine were originally stapled. Pretty sure I'll use the same method this summer when I do mine. I believe that size staple will fit my porter cable pneumatic stapler.

Are you gonna re-carpet the existing wood bunks, or buy new wood and have all the new carpet anchored to the new bunks...then just switch them out?

Edited by DIE2SURF

I think I'm gonna replace bunks in entirety, but will get a better look after dropping boat in this afternoon. Oddly the stainless staples are half the price of the monel rustproof ones.

I think I'm gonna replace bunks in entirety, but will get a better look after dropping boat in this afternoon. Oddly the stainless staples are half the price of the monel rustproof ones.

It's probably time to replace the wood. Cheap, maybe another $25 bucks for 4 8' 2x6's treated. Get a Stanley electric stapler ($30) and the stainless staples (1000 qty for $10). Stretch the carpet really, really, really tight. When I do it again I will take a sander and round off the edges of the 2x6's so they're not so sharp on the carpet.

Check this thread:

I spent $28 bucks buying lumber. I highly recommend it. This is what my front 2x6 bunk looked like when I pulled it off and peeled back the carpet:

post-9-127266099183_thumb.jpg

Ya, that's what it looked like under the carpet. Not good.

BTW - I went to Home Depot and Lowes. Lowes was the only one that actually had a marine environment carpet. The HD carpet had similar backing to indoor/outdoor carpet. The Lowes marine environment backing was much thicker and had a plastic feel to it. I believe it'll stand up much better than that offered at HD.

I used 3/8 stainless staples from home depot. After I finished I saw the box read not for marine use... WTF?

Well, too late, will see how they last. They are stainless. I did the lowes carpet as well.

I replaced the bunks. New pressure treated wood, new indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. I used adhesive and stainless steel staples. The old bunks had the same. I got 8 seasons out of the old bunks.

I bought the PT stock today ($25 for 4- 8ft 2x6s). Yeah, I noticed the Stainless staples say "not for marine use". I presume that if more in reference to salt water (not an issue w/ me). I noticed that Overtons sells both the SS and Monel galvanized (a bit more money). The Lowes I have checked out have nothing more impressive then HD, or dedicated to marine enviroment. Thus, probably going w/ indoor/outdoor grey carpet at HD...which will only set me back another $25.

I bought the PT stock today ($25 for 4- 8ft 2x6s). Yeah, I noticed the Stainless staples say "not for marine use". I presume that if more in reference to salt water (not an issue w/ me). I noticed that Overtons sells both the SS and Monel galvanized (a bit more money). The Lowes I have checked out have nothing more impressive then HD, or dedicated to marine enviroment. Thus, probably going w/ indoor/outdoor grey carpet at HD...which will only set me back another $25.

Do you have a link to that carpet you're thinking about using? I looked online and in 2 stores and didn't see anything I would want to use. If your local Lowe's doesn't have the black marine carpet in stock then I would think they could order some.

Do you have a link to that carpet you're thinking about using? I looked online and in 2 stores and didn't see anything I would want to use. If your local Lowe's doesn't have the black marine carpet in stock then I would think they could order some.

Ndawg,

Fyi, I just checked out the special order marine carpet at Lowes. Approx a 2week wait, w/ minimum order it came to $74, and they would not precut it into 1" strips. They require you to order at least 10' (out of a 6, 8-6" or 12' roll I believe). Based on the small sample on hand, the pile didn't seem any more significant than then the indoor/ outdoor stuff they stock for half the price. The backing had a more rubber like look to it...possibly less porous (not sure if that is good or bad for breathability).

I think I'll round the edges a bit on the PT stock I bought, and cheap out w/ the stocked HD carpet (<$25). I'll keep an eye on it, and replace it if necessary down the road.