Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at 05 VLX with Hammerhead. Any Concerns?

I just made a deal on an 05 VLX with the Hammerhead. It's got 80 hours on it. Looks like a nice boat, seems well taken care of. I looked around a little (on here) and I'm getting a little nervous about that engine. Any comments, concerns, or advice before pulling the trigger with the checkbook? Thanks

I've got an 06 23 LSV with the Hammerhead and I LOVE it. We load it up with 10+ people, 1250 lbs ballast, wedge, and pull a boarder out of the hole with no problem at all. I've heard people complain they've had issues with their boats that have a hammerhead, but I love it. 400 horse and 425 ft/lbs of torque is pretty hefty.

It is a race engine and requires more maintenance. The only things I had to learn was how to properly take care of the engine. It consumes oil at a faster rate than normal (which is normal for this engine), it takes higher weight oil (straight 50 weight) and I change the oil more often. I think if you maintain it well, you will love the engine.

Edited by SMERRILL