Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

14 person - 05 VLX or LSV?

Woodsprinter

I saw 05 VLX on classified and the photo shows the yellow sticker under dash says it can hold 14 person? I checked Malibu Specs under DYI/Resources and it says 11 person. Could it be LSV?

Edited by Woodsprinter

I saw 05 VLX on classified and the photo shows the yellow sticker under dash says it can hold 14 person? I checked Malibu Specs under DYI/Resources and it says 11 person. Could it be LSV?

LSV's are rated at 14, but 10 adults and gear is all your going to get without feeling really crowded from my experience. If you are looking for 14...get a 247. If simply wondering what the boat it is, if there are interior shots you can probably figure it out based on speaker/speaker location I would think. Also, if it has a trailer, if there isn't much boat behind the tandom axles and its shorter in front, probably a VLX.

LSV's are rated at 14, but 10 adults and gear is all your going to get without feeling really crowded from my experience. If you are looking for 14...get a 247. If simply wondering what the boat it is, if there are interior shots you can probably figure it out based on speaker/speaker location I would think. Also, if it has a trailer, if there isn't much boat behind the tandom axles and its shorter in front, probably a VLX.

I know 14 person means 10 with kids. Ha. But my question is yellow sticker says 14, it should be LSV not VLX.. How do we know it is LSV if LSV emblems on rear is removed?

I know 14 person means 10 with kids. Ha. But my question is yellow sticker says 14, it should be LSV not VLX.. How do we know it is LSV if LSV emblems on rear is removed?

Ask for the hull id number...it should pop up in the insurance databases I would think...if it doesn't...malibu could tell you based on it.

Ask for the hull id number...it should pop up in the insurance databases I would think...if it doesn't...malibu could tell you based on it.

And then hope the boat isn't actually in Kenya. :biggrin:

the 247 can actually hold 16 people and we have had 16 in it before surprised it wasnt to bad. everybody was under 200 ibs though. the 23' can hold 14 people.

:unsure: You guys all missed the point.. the origional question wasn't about how many people one could fit, but he was trying to figure out what boat it really is if the tags aren't shown. anyway, beyond the VIN suggestion, the only thing I've got is possibly identifying by looking at the length of the seat behind the driver seat? Isn't that obviously shorter on the VLX?

Geeze without me around to police this stuff, this place gets outta hand :whistle:

:unsure: You guys all missed the point.. the origional question wasn't about how many people one could fit, but he was trying to figure out what boat it really is if the tags aren't shown. anyway, beyond the VIN suggestion, the only thing I've got is possibly identifying by looking at the length of the seat behind the driver seat? Isn't that obviously shorter on the VLX?

Geeze without me around to police this stuff, this place gets outta hand :whistle:

Well, thank you Mr. Forum Police :guns::tease1:

Kudos for checking the resource section first. :thumbup:

The only thing I will add is that if this is at a dealer with many boats, they may have put up a pic of the wrong yellow tag. This happens a lot with car dealers. You'll be looking at a Ford and see a pic of a Volvo dash or something.

Hull i.d.

Measure the length

Have them check the title/registration

A lot of times the yellow sticker lists the boat model in the smaller print. Sometimes the sticker/plate for another model is installed. We have had two LSV's (one Sunscape and one Wakesetter) and both capacity plates said 13. Our 2009 came with the plate for a 23 V-Ride. Our dealer ordered one for a 23 LSV so it wouldn't raise a question when it was time to sell.

A lot of times the yellow sticker lists the boat model in the smaller print. Sometimes the sticker/plate for another model is installed. We have had two LSV's (one Sunscape and one Wakesetter) and both capacity plates said 13. Our 2009 came with the plate for a 23 V-Ride. Our dealer ordered one for a 23 LSV so it wouldn't raise a question when it was time to sell.

My 09 23lsv plate says 14 people. 11 is what a VLX 05+ will say, 13-14 is what the LSV will say.

Looking at the pictures, I'd say it's definitely a VLX. Looks too short to be a LSV and the interior shot looks too small inside for a LSV as well. Sweet looking boat though....I love the bimini!

14 people in a VLX is absurd. The boat will barely get up on a plane. Tried it. And the wake was mush.

Weird I did it to and while the boat took a while to get on plane it did and the wake was beautiful and hard as concrete.

Monsoon & stock prop in our case. We did finally get the boat on a plane../.... by shifting a bunch of butts up to the bow for a bit. Reminded me of the old I/O days. :Doh:

Monsoon & stock prop in our case. We did finally get the boat on a plane../.... by shifting a bunch of butts up to the bow for a bit. Reminded me of the old I/O days. :Doh:

:lol:

not sure unless they put new decals on, it's a 2006...They went to the fireball logo in 06...good luck!

Good catch on the decal. Everything I see points to a VLX except that screwy 14 capacity and the decal. I wonder if they took the plate off of another boat to thwart any overzealous water police. It actually looks even shorter than a VLX, but it could just be the pictures. All the gauges and interior work look just like my '05 though, so it's possible they just updated the decal.

The wedge looks like it may be chrome also...wasn't that new in '06? Could be a replacement also. I'm confused.

My 09 23lsv plate says 14 people. 11 is what a VLX 05+ will say, 13-14 is what the LSV will say.

Do you think the difference in our capacity plates (13 vs. 14) is due to my boat having the Monsoon, which weighs about 200 lbs more than the Hammerhead in your LSV?

Do you think the difference in our capacity plates (13 vs. 14) is due to my boat having the Monsoon, which weighs about 200 lbs more than the Hammerhead in your LSV?

That's kinda what I was thinking but don't know for sure. Probably a pretty good bet though.