Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06' VLX vs '07 VLX

robw

Hi,

I'm in the market to buy a used Malibu VLX, and have been looking at 06's and 07's.

I need some help to make my decision.

Which would you choose, and what do I need to watch out for these years?

All other factors being equal ( tower, lights, board racks, speakers, stereo - nearly same for both boats)

2007 VLX with 650 hours for about $36K?

or

2006 VLX with 250 hours for about $40K?

Thanks.

For me, it would come down to features rather than the year. Those years could be pretty close to exactly the same.

The 650 hr boat is high for only 2 yrs old, but not even 1/2 way thru it's life if it was taken care of. And if your going to be a light user, it'll catch up. If you expect to be a heavy user, then that will forever be a high hour boat & won't be worth as much later.

Features like the tower, engine, the ballast options, trailer & colors would be more important to me. Stereo & racks are bolt on & easily changed.

The boats are pretty similar from what I know. I have an 07 and I love it. But, I got my boat with 51 hours on it, so I can't really compare to your decision process. If I were in that situation though, the hours would sell me on the 06. The small changes made between the two years aren't significant enough to justify the 400 hour gap. Just as Bill stated though, if you are going to be a very light user, the hours will catch up over the next few years. I would definitely spend time in each boat if you can. The 07 may have issues the 06 doesn't, and vice versa. I would make sure there are maintenance records on the 07, to ensure the previous owner actually took care of it over that short period of time with heavy use.

Hi,

I'm in the market to buy a used Malibu VLX, and have been looking at 06's and 07's.

I need some help to make my decision.

Which would you choose, and what do I need to watch out for these years?

All other factors being equal ( tower, lights, board racks, speakers, stereo - nearly same for both boats)

2007 VLX with 650 hours for about $36K?

or

2006 VLX with 250 hours for about $40K?

Thanks.

Do they both have the same engine? Although the base engine is the 320 LCR,

you probably should look for a VLX with a Monsoon (pretty standard upgrade)

or Hammerhead engine (more expensive upgrade).

Do they both have power wedge? If they each have manual wedges, the '06 will

have the older fixed wedge. In '07, IIRC, Malibu introduced the floating wedge,

which is preferable.

I would go for 2006 with low hours because of resale purpose.. Since both have same hull and engine (?). Really no difference except for wedge.. some of 2006 (late)VLX have power wedge..

Both boats have the Monsoon engine, and power wedge option.

I figure I'll add around 80-100 hours a year, so I'm leaning towards the 2006 now.

Thanks for all your input!

06' for sure.