Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead Issues 2009 VLX

Hi everybody!

Having some problems with my 2009 VLX with the Hammerhead. It seems to me that it runs rough at idle.

Even will stall once in awhile. As soon as I give any gas, it seems to be fine.(RPM´s at 1000 and greater)

Did notice that while running the Cruise at wakeboard speed, that the engine was having trouble keeping speed.

First it was to fast,then to slow back and forth. Maybe I should mention that I changed the prop

from the 537 to the 1235 as soon as I bought the boat. (Used with 120 hours)

Does it take awhile for the boat to get "used to" the new prop?

Also, could it have anything to do with a bad fuel injector? Just a hunch.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi everybody!

Having some problems with my 2009 VLX with the Hammerhead. It seems to me that it runs rough at idle.

Even will stall once in awhile. As soon as I give any gas, it seems to be fine.(RPM´s at 1000 and greater)

Did notice that while running the Cruise at wakeboard speed, that the engine was having trouble keeping speed.

First it was to fast,then to slow back and forth. Maybe I should mention that I changed the prop

Thanks,

Andy

I would start with the normal, easy stuff. Replace the fuel filter first. This is probably your issue. Although the change in prop may coincide with the issue, it is likely not causing it. Correlation does not equal causation.

Hi everybody!

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

I also have a 2009 VLX with the hammerhead, the hammerhead has a high lift cam so it will idle a little rough but should not die. As far as the cruise control, that is a pretty well known problem that Malibu doesn't want to admit that it is happening. There have been a number of people on this site complaining about it and I'm one of them. I have had my boat in three times to have this problem fixed, they tell me it is fixed now but I have not had the boat out yet to see. It doesn't matter what prop your are running, I ran the 537 and the 1235 and it made no difference, the cruise still sucks big time and is totally useless in MPH mode.

Terry

Terry,

Are you using the Malibu speed control or something else (PP, zero off). Just wondering.

Thanks

Edited by colobuskier

I would start with the normal, easy stuff. Replace the fuel filter first. This is probably your issue. Although the change in prop may coincide with the issue, it is likely not causing it. Correlation does not equal causation.

The fuel filter does not get changed in the 09 HH engines. It's a lifetime fuel filter. Hopefully Paul from bakes can chime in on this one and I'm not misquoting what I've been told.

Terry,

Are you using the Malibu speed control or something else (PP, zero off). Just wondering.

Thanks

Hey Paul,

It is the Malibu cruise control, I'm starting to get tired of fighting with them over it. If it isn't fixed this time I'm going to start pushing for PP.

Terry

Hey Paul,

It is the Malibu cruise control, I'm starting to get tired of fighting with them over it. If it isn't fixed this time I'm going to start pushing for PP.

Terry

My 2010 won't hold speed worth a damn with the Malibu Cruise.... It surges as much as 1.6 - 1.8 MPH either side of the setpoint. Fighting with them on it now. They've told me the paddlewheel just "isn't accurate enough" which is complete BS..... My Perfect Pass on my previous boat held the speed rock solid. The problem is with their faulty software, and lack of adjustability in the settings like Perfect Pass has. They're replacing the paddlewheel to see if that does it. If not, I may have to get Zero Off.

Edited by cwkoch

My 2010 won't hold speed worth a damn with the Malibu Cruise.... It surges as much as 1.6 - 1.8 MPH either side of the setpoint. Fighting with them on it now. They've told me the paddlewheel just "isn't accurate enough" which is complete BS..... My Perfect Pass on my previous boat held the speed rock solid. The problem is with their faulty software, and lack of adjustability in the settings like Perfect Pass has. They're replacing the paddlewheel to see if that does it. If not, I may have to get Zero Off.

Wow, that sounds like the story I'm getting and I'm on my third paddle wheel. :badmood:

Terry

Edited by water_junky

Wouldn´t it be possible for Malibu to do an update on the Maliview or the Cruise to fix this problem?

Sounds like that would make more sense than switching the paddlewheel 3 times.

Does anyone also know if there are any updates for the Maliview and how they are transfered to the Maliview?

@ Terry: Does the Cruise Control work any better on the RPM mode versus the MPH mode?

Thanks again,

Andy

Wouldn´t it be possible for Malibu to do an update on the Maliview or the Cruise to fix this problem?

Sounds like that would make more sense than switching the paddlewheel 3 times.

Does anyone also know if there are any updates for the Maliview and how they are transfered to the Maliview?

@ Terry: Does the Cruise Control work any better on the RPM mode versus the MPH mode?

Thanks again,

Andy

Andy,

It works perfect on RPM mode, it just sucks on MPH mode. People have said "Well, you just need to use it on RPM mode". The point is that I bought a new boat that has factory presets that are all MPH and MPH mode does not work, so the factory presets and MPH cruise control is worthless. :rant:

Sorry, I have been fighting this for a year now. :guns:

Terry

Andy,

It works perfect on RPM mode, it just sucks on MPH mode. People have said "Well, you just need to use it on RPM mode". The point is that I bought a new boat that has factory presets that are all MPH and MPH mode does not work, so the factory presets and MPH cruise control is worthless. :rant:

Sorry, I have been fighting this for a year now. :guns:

Terry

Terry,

I know it doesn't help but the PP I have seems to work great in the MPH mode from 8mph (wakesurfing) up to the 22 mph wakeboarding. Sorry to hear you are having issues with the Maliview. I saw some time ago that some people were using diffeent pitch props to give various speed controls more torque to work with. Not sure if this is an option for you. I have 3 props from 10 and 1/2 up to 14 pitch that you are welcome to try if they will work on your boat.

Edited by colobuskier

Terry,

I know it doesn't help but the PP I have seems to work great in the MPH mode from 8mph (wakesurfing) up to the 22 mph wakeboarding. Sorry to hear you are having issues with the Maliview. I saw some time ago that some people were using diffeent pitch props to give various speed controls more torque to work with. Not sure if this is an option for you. I have 3 props from 10 and 1/2 up to 14 pitch that you are welcome to try if they will work on your boat.

Hey Paul,

Thanks for rubbing it in about the PP, just what I needed!! Just kidding. :crazy:

I did try some different props and it made no difference.

We actually took the boat out today and the cruise was much better than before. We ran it at 8 mph, 25 mph, and 32 mph and it did well. Still surging a little, but nothing like it was before it seems doable now.

Terry

Went out with the boat again this weekend. We calibrated the speedometer and you´ll never guess what happened!

The Cruise Control worked just fine! I don´t know if it was coincidence or if the adjustment somehow helped the

software. We only did 4 runs on Sarturday, but all with full ballast, wedge and alot of people in the boat and the

boat was able to hold speed just fine running on the MPH(actually KMH) mode.

Andy

Edited by Beaver
  • 1 year later...

I have an 08 VLX with the Hammerhead. I am sick of the Malicruise not holding speed and want to know if anyone out there has installed a PP with a Paddle wheel on an 06-08 wakesetter. I wakeboard on the Delta (moving water) and have heard too many mixed reviews when using GPS in the delta so I would prefer to stick with paddle wheel version. According to Gary (one of the owners of PP), my boat is a drive by wire (DBW) and I need to somehow get the ECM and electronic engine specs from Malibu or Indmar in order to properly install a paddle wheel PP. Does anyone have these specs or know how to get them. Even with this information I would be curious to know if anyone has installed the paddle wheel perfect pass on a DBW boat.

Thanks,

Ryan