Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 VLX Power Wedge Issues

Hey everyone...

We just got our 09 VLX back from the dealer's storage and took the boat out. The wedge didn't deploy so I looked up some reasons why on this forum. We read that there is a fuse under the dash that can pop -- so I pushed the button on the fuse and now we can hear the wedge doing something.

When trying to move the wedge down, it goes about 3 inches, then the fuse pops... I can move it back up all day (just hit the up button and you can hear it going up), but as soon as we try to move it down again, the fuse pops.

We pulled the boat into the lift and I hung off the back platform like a monkey and noticed 1 of the 2 wires that go to the hydraulic cylinders/actuators (i don't know if they are hydraulic or actual motors or even if they are actuators) is shredded.

So I am wondering if one of the actuators is for up and one is for down? And the wire that is shredded is for the down action. That would explain why it goes down and pops the fuse and going up works fine.

Can these wires be easily replaced? You'd think so since they are exposed, this could happen a lot.

Attached are 2 pictures -- sorry for the poor quality -- it is hard taking a picture hanging upside down off the platform over water!

Any info you guys can give me would be awesome.

-andy.

HPIM1377.jpg

HPIM1378.jpg

Based on what I can see I would say that a slpice is out of the question. you will need to find out where the wires go on either side. Also are the "actuators" sealed units? If they are sealed units you will be replacing the "actuator" if not then the wire will need replacing from the terminal (switch) to the acutator. (you might be able to get a way with a splice in a dry area of the boat). You may want to try and find a protected wire (braded) for replacement so you are not doing this repair again next year.

Any help from the dealer as it was stored on their lot?

REW

What I am going to try is using Liquid Black Tape... I found some that is for waterproofing wire connections. I will contact the dealer if this fails and see how much of a pain it is to replace the wire. We bought it new, so hopefully warranty will cover something like this. I have no idea how it happened.

So I am going to try the liquid tape thing and report back

It should be under warranty.. Call the dealer to verify the warranty.. It could void the warranty if you do something wrong..

What I am going to try is using Liquid Black Tape... I found some that is for waterproofing wire connections. I will contact the dealer if this fails and see how much of a pain it is to replace the wire. We bought it new, so hopefully warranty will cover something like this. I have no idea how it happened.

So I am going to try the liquid tape thing and report back

depending on when the damage was done the wires will have corrioded and thus the fuse poping, or "noworkie" Your best bet is to call the dealer to see what the warrenty is. and how long it will be before they complete the repair.

Also using the liquid tape could/will seal in moisture that will continue to cause trouble. Get it fixed right the first time and enjoy the summer.

Good luck.

well, the tape fixed the popping of the fuse. But, only one actuator is working. When i hit the down button, it only goes down like 2 inches and the motor in one of the actuators just whirls.

So, what probably happened is the frayed/exposed wire fried out one of the actuators.

I was trying to avoid having to send it back to the dealer -- but at this point there is nothing I can do. The actuator probably needs to be replaced now.

Why are these wires even exposed in the first place? They should be covered with some type of tube or something!

Thanks for all the help and info -- I will let you know what the dealer says about what happened.

well, the tape fixed the popping of the fuse. But, only one actuator is working. When i hit the down button, it only goes down like 2 inches and the motor in one of the actuators just whirls.

So, what probably happened is the frayed/exposed wire fried out one of the actuators.

I was trying to avoid having to send it back to the dealer -- but at this point there is nothing I can do. The actuator probably needs to be replaced now.

Why are these wires even exposed in the first place? They should be covered with some type of tube or something!

Thanks for all the help and info -- I will let you know what the dealer says about what happened.

I agree a metal braded cover would be appropreate.