Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

383 Hammerhead Fuel/Firing Issue

Hi,

I have recently bought an '05 v-ride with a 383 Hammerhead. It runs perfectly from the word go however after long periods of running (3hrs +) it starts to feel like either one cylinder doesn't fire say every 5 secs or the engine isn't getting enough fuel every couple of seconds. It normally occurs at higher RPM's but sometimes below normal riding speeds. Initially thinking it was a fuel pump problem we had that replaced, however this hasn't fixed the problem. I was wondering if anybody has experienced the same problem?

I am thinking that it may be an ignition coil problem. Is this likely?

Any thoughts or theories would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dash

I doubt it is the ignition coil, I have never heard of one being intermittent. Have you checked/changed the fuel filter? If it is still looking as an ignition porblem check plugs and wires first.

As REW said, check/change the in line fuel filter first, then check the plugs and wires.

If all that is OKAY...then it might not hurt to do a compression test on each piston. I can't remember, but I think they should all be over 100 pounds each. If any are lower, you could have a bad piston ring or piston. If that ends up being the case, a likely cause could be a clogged fuel injector.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4486238_test-car-piston-rings.html

As REW said, check/change the in line fuel filter first, then check the plugs and wires.

If all that is OKAY...then it might not hurt to do a compression test on each piston. I can't remember, but I think they should all be over 100 pounds each. If any are lower, you could have a bad piston ring or piston. If that ends up being the case, a likely cause could be a clogged fuel injector.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4486238_test-car-piston-rings.html

and they should all be within 10% of each other.

Wow I didn't even know you could get a HH in the Vride.

I thought the same thing, interesting configuration. Why not get a VLX with a Monsoon, prices would have probably been close. I wonder if it was used to clean debris and pull large logs and stuff, how many hours on the boat?

Edited by Ndawg12

Hi,

I have recently bought an '05 v-ride with a 383 Hammerhead. It runs perfectly from the word go however after long periods of running (3hrs +) it starts to feel like either one cylinder doesn't fire say every 5 secs or the engine isn't getting enough fuel every couple of seconds. It normally occurs at higher RPM's but sometimes below normal riding speeds. Initially thinking it was a fuel pump problem we had that replaced, however this hasn't fixed the problem. I was wondering if anybody has experienced the same problem?

I am thinking that it may be an ignition coil problem. Is this likely?

Any thoughts or theories would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dash

you might try pulling your plugs and cleaning them

Edited by Rhino

Wouldn't it be computer controlled in an 07?

What do you mean by computer controlled? The hammerhead has a cap and rotor like other engines, just a little different. They use an HVS style cap and rotor that was designed for the LT1 engine.

See One Here.

I agree though, if you haven't done so it would be a good time to replace cap, rotor, and plugs. Maybe wires while you're at it. Cap and rotor have a tendency to oxidize the conductors on a marine engine due to excessive moisture, reducing conductivity. I check mine every year, replace as necessary after it can't be cleaned any more.

What do you mean by computer controlled? The hammerhead has a cap and rotor like other engines, just a little different. They use an HVS style cap and rotor that was designed for the LT1 engine.

See One Here.

I agree though, if you haven't done so it would be a good time to replace cap, rotor, and plugs. Maybe wires while you're at it. Cap and rotor have a tendency to oxidize the conductors on a marine engine due to excessive moisture, reducing conductivity. I check mine every year, replace as necessary after it can't be cleaned any more.

I was thinking a modual without an acutal rotor for variable timing. However I agree that there will be more oxidization within a marine environment so cap and rotor with wires are a good idea if there is a firing issue.

I was thinking a modual without an acutal rotor for variable timing. However I agree that there will be more oxidization within a marine environment so cap and rotor with wires are a good idea if there is a firing issue.

Thanks for the replies.

We changed the fuel filters first, then fuel pump.

The compression has been checked and it was all ok.

Looks like the cap and rotor will be next.

Thanks

05 should have the older style cap and rotor, but ICBW. Variable spark timing is accomplished through the ignition control module and ECM, but there is still a rotor and contacts.

Either way its a looked over maintenance item, can't tell you how many boast I've seen where owners have changed plugs, wires, fuel filters, but their cap is so nasty the boat still runs like garbage. Frankly its my first place to go for a rough running engine, then the fuel filter.

-Chris