Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tackling the steering on a Euro F3 skier

My 93 Euro F3 skier has the same symptoms many people talk about....hard steering at high speed and stiff steering all the time. I disconnected the rudder and it turns freely, although there is 3/8" of slop at the bottom of the rudder. I read JeffS's post about his custom brass rudder bushings he had made....I think this is the ticket for the rudder. Rudder repair

Now, for the steering cable---the wheel still turns stiff with the rudder disconnected. Hopefully just a steering cable---sounds easy to replace and not overly expensive. My bilge gets a couple inches of water every time I go out, which hasn't been good for the steering cable. Probably the rudder leaking and my drive shaft (prior to replacing the packing last year). Has anybody heard of a steering rack going bad? Not sure what to check on it or if there is any concern with it. The steering wheel sure is sloppy up and down (has one of the first adjustable wheels).

Edited by iwski
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a loose steering wheel before and it made steering very tough and locked up sometimes. Turned out that under the rubber boot behind the steering wheel is a screw that holds things together. Make sure that is tight. If you have a lot of slop in the steering it may be the culprit.

I had a loose steering wheel before and it made steering very tough and locked up sometimes. Turned out that under the rubber boot behind the steering wheel is a screw that holds things together. Make sure that is tight. If you have a lot of slop in the steering it may be the culprit.

Thanks. I have taken all the steering parts off the boat and I noticed the bolts holding the helm rotary assembly and the tilt mechanism to the dash were a little loose. After tightening them up, it didn't help much. I think it's a combination of typical slop in a tilt wheel mechanism and the fiberglass dash where everything mounts has a lot of flex in it. There's an aluminum brace that screws to the top deck and bolts to the helm rotary assembly, but doesn't stiffen the dash adequately. I am going back in with all new parts except the steering wheel and no tilt this time.

Edited by iwski