Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Maintenance

I bought a used 2007 wakesetter, and it did not come with an owners manual for the trailer. I don't know much about trailers...

Question 1 - What do I need to do to maintain the wheel bearings. If someone can email me, I can reply with pics of my wheel hubs. I was told to buy a grease gun and told that all I had to do was connect it to the nipple on the bearing hub and keep it full of grease, but can't seem to find where to connect to...

Question 2 - Is there a special type of brake fluid to use?

Question 3 - Is there a special way to access the brake fluid cover? It's covered by a metal plate that's part of the brake assembly... I slowly pull the truck forward which moves the plate off the cap some, but still had too pry it off further with a screwdriver... Again, I can email pics if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Greg

I bought a used 2007 wakesetter, and it did not come with an owners manual for the trailer. I don't know much about trailers...

Question 1 - What do I need to do to maintain the wheel bearings. If someone can email me, I can reply with pics of my wheel hubs. I was told to buy a grease gun and told that all I had to do was connect it to the nipple on the bearing hub and keep it full of grease, but can't seem to find where to connect to...

Question 2 - Is there a special type of brake fluid to use?

Question 3 - Is there a special way to access the brake fluid cover? It's covered by a metal plate that's part of the brake assembly... I slowly pull the truck forward which moves the plate off the cap some, but still had too pry it off further with a screwdriver... Again, I can email pics if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Greg

There are so many trailer variations it will take more info. What is the manufacturer? Does it have dual disk brakes? Does it have oil bath or grease hubs?

• 1 month later...

Email sent.

It appears you had the trailer maintenance requierments? I have had a boat for my whole life with drum brakes and grease "bearing buddy" type bearings. I believe these are oil bath type bearing seals? with disc breaks? So all new to me.

If you have the manual - would greatly appreciate having it sent.

Thanks in advance!

Karl

2008 23LSV Wakesetter

PS - Extreme Boat Trailer

I have a 2008 Boatmate - tandem with surge disk brakes and "vault" sealed hubs.

I have all the books.

If any of these match, let me know.

And as a side note, the disk brake parts are "Kia" ---

I just wish that Malibu would make the manufactures of there trailers have some standard. I know that different states have different laws about brakes on trailers, don't you think that a 4000 lb boat should be on a trailer that has brakes on only one axle.

I had to re-brake my Roadrunner trailer and both axles were different. My trailer came out of Texas and had brakes on only one axle. Pa requires inspections on trailers and I wanted brakes on both anyway. I hate really being pushed down the road by a boat when I want to stop. Both axle stubs were different so I had a nightmare trying to match up my brakes. Oh well after a 3 weeks I got something close and all is well.

Edited by rodman

I finally found the following in a previous thread - Extreme Trailer uses UFP products

Under Disc Brakes - Click on DB35?? (I think - Orginally for Kia)

Under Axles - Click on Trailer Buddy® GOLD Axle Maintenance

Under Actuators - Click on A-60, A70 & A-84 Actuator Maintenance

http://www.ufpnet.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I just wish that Malibu would make the manufactures of there trailers have some standard. I know that different states have different laws about brakes on trailers, don't you think that a 4000 lb boat should be on a trailer that has brakes on both axles.

I had to re-brake my Roadrunner trailer and both axles were different. My trailer came out of Texas and had brakes on only one axle. Pa requires inspections on trailers and I wanted brakes on both anyway. I hate really being pushed down the road by a boat when I want to stop. Both axle stubs were different so I had a nightmare trying to match up my brakes. Oh well after a 3 weeks I got something close and all is well.

One school of thought is to let one set of wheels roll (aka no brakes) while the other set with brakes locks up in order to maintain control.

-Chris