Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Free On-line Boating Safety Course

thtrog

This may be common knowledge, but I though I would share this information. In NC there are new regulations going into effect May 1st and this course appears to meet the requirements. It may also entitle you to a discount on your boat insurance. Otherwise, other on-line courses are charging $30....this one's free if you print your own certificate. Check your own state to see if it is approved.

After May 1, 2010, every person under the age of 26 must complete a NASBLA approved boating education course before operating any vessel propelled by a motor of 10 HP or greater in the state of North Carolina.

http://www.boatus.org/

Yup, my wife and took it (actually I took it twice) and it saved us $2 a month on our insurance :thumbup: There's alot of interesting info in there too, especially with all the different types of signs.

Thanks for the link. My wife has never owned/operated a boat and she could use this, especially for free.

My son is 12 and just completed a local Boater's Safety course through the DNR for $10. I knew if he did it online it would never get done.

His completion of the course was quickly followed by an email from me to my parents and brother to hide the keys to the jet skis. Especially my brother. He has an old school small hull Sea Doo XP (the all yellow one) that was built by Rossier to go over 60mph. You literally can't drive in a straight line because the torque from the tilted engine makes you drive in a wide arc over the water. I'd like to see my 90 pound son hang on to that one. :surprised::surprised::surprised:

It is law all across Canada to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card to operate any powered boat. You must pass a test and pay a $40.00 Fee. You receive a card to carry with you in the boat. USA people might want to check into this if coming into Canada with your unit.

Ya here in Oregon a card is required. I had to take the course and the test that follows online. Funny story, my good buddy (mechanical engineer)calls me up and says, "This is the hardest test I have ever taken!" I replied, "Open two browsers, one on the test and the other on the course dummy". :Doh:

The test is pretty well written and forces you to know the manual pretty well. Given the number of idiots on the water though I don't think it is a cure for stupid. It is more an income generator for the OSMB.