Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vibration on take off

I just bought a 2000 wakesetter VLX with 100 hours. This thing is a beauty. When we took off out of the hole it has a good vibration. When the boat gets on plane the vib goes away. Does anyone think this is the prop? It has some very minor dings on the edge. I am new to all this so wanted to see some thoughts.thanks so much

It doesnt take much for there to be a vibration from the prop. I would start there, there could be a bent blade that you cannot see with a naked eye.

Start with the easy things.

Make sure the prop is installed correctly for example check that the key is sitting correctly in the keyway.

You didn't state which prop is on your boat but if it is the original prop it is probably pre-CNC and can be unbalanced out of the box.

Could be the small dings are the problem.

Throw a back up prop on and try it.

Mine has probably a second to a second and a half vibration on harder takeoffs. If I leasurely go to plane, I don't usually feel it.

I had a similar problem on the new 2008 VLX I bought last year. The dealer installed a counter balanced rudder arm (under warranty) and the problem was resolved. I understand that this is now standard on all new Malibu's.

Vibration on take-off can also be caused by a rudder in need of lubrication. It's worth checking. The rudder port will have a couple zerk fittings on it just put a couple of pumps of trailer wheel bearing grease in there. Whether that is causing your vibration or not it's worth doing. It is a regularly neglected service item.

most inboards have a vibration at slow speeds coming out of the hole that some people may mis-identify as being abnormal. Is this your first inboard?

first boat. A guy i work with partnered with me. He has a 2000tige and knows a fare amount about boats. He was thinking the prop. So i thought i would throw it out there. I like this site.

Edited by firefed22

first boat. A guy i work with partnered with me. He has a 2000tige and knows a fare amount about boats. He was thinking the prop. So i thought i would throw it out there. I like this site.

are you feeling the vibration just in the wheel or the whole boat? can you post a picture of the prop?

Start with the rudder. Is there any play in it? Have someone hold the wheel and try to wiggle and turn the rudder in all directions.

If that's taut, check prop first. If it's not that, have the dealer check strut and shaft alignment.

Make sure the big aluminum nut that holds the steering cable in place is all the way tight, obviously get the prop fixed so you don't damaged anything else, also check the coupler bolts make sure they are all tight and that there is no metal shavings in the hull around the coupler. If there are shavings you need to have it aligned if loose tighten them up and keep an eye on them.

Start with the rudder. Is there any play in it? Have someone hold the wheel and try to wiggle and turn the rudder in all directions.

If that's taut, check prop first. If it's not that, have the dealer check strut and shaft alignment.

:plus1: there also should be no up and down play, make sure it is greased

are you feeling the vibration just in the wheel or the whole boat? can you post a picture of the prop?

Vibration is in the whole boat. Real slight and goes away once the boat is out of the hole.

Edited by firefed22

We would need some pics of the prop to determine if it's repairable. Is far as what to replace it with, I'm guessing a 4-blade. But then depending on what you do with the boat will determine what actual size or model to get. You don't want a stainless prop. You want a prop machined from Nibral (nickel, brass, aluminum). The prop becomes almost sacrificial when hitting something that way the shaft, strut, vdrive and or transmission aren't damaged.

Edited by Ndawg12

Start with the easy things.

Make sure the prop is installed correctly for example check that the key is sitting correctly in the keyway.

You didn't state which prop is on your boat but if it is the original prop it is probably pre-CNC and can be unbalanced out of the box.

Could be the small dings are the problem.

Throw a back up prop on and try it.

Not sure what this means. The CNC machined props do not come off the machine balanced. The balancing is done post machining by hand, both brands are done this way.

If the prop blades are damaged, have it repaired. Most likely the cause of the vibration.

The ruder is nice and solid. However i did notice that when I turn the prop the shaft makes a lot of noise in the bracket that secures it.(Sorry no photos) Tech issues. Does this need to get lubed? I am sure it does but how do you get it in there? I really appreciate it.

The ruder is nice and solid. However i did notice that when I turn the prop the shaft makes a lot of noise in the bracket that secures it.(Sorry no photos) Tech issues. Does this need to get lubed? I am sure it does but how do you get it in there? I really appreciate it.

The prop shaft will make alot of loud noises when turned if it is out of the water. What you are hearing is the bushing material inside the strut making noise on the shaft. It is lubricated by the water that you put the boat in. Nothing to worry about, that noise is normal.

Edited by Bawshogg

Not sure what this means. The CNC machined props do not come off the machine balanced. The balancing is done post machining by hand, both brands are done this way.

If the prop blades are damaged, have it repaired. Most likely the cause of the vibration.

Start with Eric's, (OJ Props) advice.

Not sure what this means? Are the CNC props made today better today than the props made 10 years ago? I know promo guys that tried six new props before they found one that didn't vibrate 10 years ago. Today you can buy a prop, install it properly, and almost without incident have no vibration.

Not sure what this means? Are the CNC props made today better today than the props made 10 years ago? I know promo guys that tried six new props before they found one that didn't vibrate 10 years ago. Today you can buy a prop, install it properly, and almost without incident have no vibration.

I'm saying the CNC props do not fall off the machined balanced. The CNC process has little to do with balance.

If you noticed the post from Eric Johnson, the attached phone number included, I would suggest a call as he will provide you with the most technically sound advice, he and his family have been in the boat / prop business a very long time. He is excellent to deal with.

I had a vibration that I was sure was related to prop or prop shaft. After hours of troubleshooting, I found that the engine was vibrating because I had a fouled spark plug. Just a thought....