Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stress cracks at Strut ????

Backfooter100

Just took a peek under the boat and noticed stress cracks eminating out from under the strut.

Has anyone else experienced this? The boat is a 2006 Response LXI, has never hit anything, no bat turns or hard driving ever.....slalom ski and barefoot mostly

Just talked to my boat repair guy...she hits the shop Monday nite....hopeing for a quick turn around

Any feedback would be appreiciated

Can't see how that would happen without it striking something. Sub-surface debris...

It is possible to hit a sub-surface log for example and have it deflect down and not hit the prop. Just saying... :dontknow:

Most of the reports of stress cracks around the propstrut that I have heard about had a possible reason to be there, and is usually hitting a fairly good sized floating or partially submerged log. Having said that, I've heard of a few cases like Backfooter that tippeetoe around the lake and still get the dreaded stress cracks. I'm not a fiberglass guy but I've been told that if the gelcoat is cracked that the underlying fiberglass is cracked and weakened as well. So what do you think-can the propstrut fiberglass be stressed and weakened just from normal boat activities? :dontknow:

Backfooter, did you get an estimate from your fiberglass guy? Do you have a lifetime hull warranty?

I wish I took a pic for you to compare it to yours. Anyways, I hit a rock (2 minutes into the first drive ever with my new to me bu :mad: ), dinged the prop up a little bit and made about 10 stress cracks eminate out from the strut a foot or so. It doesn't take much but I would bet you hit something at some point and didn't even notice it. Got a quote... $970!! So I asked if it was deep enough to affect the fiberglass, he was honest and said no, it would just be a cosmetic repair.

I had stress cracks around the strut of my 2005 Response Lxi and I know I never hit anything (I am the original owner). I had mine repaired under warranty by Malibu and haven't had any further issues with cracking. In talking to the dealer, he said that the the way the gelcoat is applied in this area, cracks in the gel can happen from time to time. Neither the dealer or Malibu ever questioned whether I hit something which tells me that they see this from time to time.

I had stress cracks around the strut of my 2005 Response Lxi and I know I never hit anything (I am the original owner). I had mine repaired under warranty by Malibu and haven't had any further issues with cracking. In talking to the dealer, he said that the the way the gelcoat is applied in this area, cracks in the gel can happen from time to time. Neither the dealer or Malibu ever questioned whether I hit something which tells me that they see this from time to time.

When did you first notice the stress cracks?

I did not notice the cracks at the end of last season, i can not remember how close i looked at the strut, honestly for all I really know they could have been there for a month or so last season

When did you first notice the stress cracks?

I noticed them close to the two year mark. I remember that I had to get it to the dealer quickly to have them document it since the warranty was close to running out on the gelcoat.

• 8 years later...

Bringing back an old one here.....was just under my boat and noticed these stress cracks.    @Ndawg12 I know you posted in this topic years ago.  

Any of you guys offer any insight?  Hit a log 4 years ago but they were not there after.  Been under the boat multiple times since then and just noticed them.  

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oRSHWpQMMqoS7xenwUZ-hOtNHC2RPCny

On 3/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, NCVride said:

Bueller?

It is forcing me to login to see the pictures.  Can you see if you can make them public or provide a link that shows them without logging in?

I disagree.  That cracking is likely because 1) water has worked its way in (not as likely) or  2) the holes were not chamfered  properly when installing or the impact caused some movement and something irritated it enough to start to crack.  In either case, stress cracks can continue on their path until the are ground out and glassed back over.  If this is below the water line, I would at least take a die grinder, cut into them, then use some resin and cabasil or something similar to patch them up.

18 minutes ago, JeffK said:

I disagree.  That cracking is likely because 1) water has worked its way in (not as likely) or  2) the holes were not chamfered  properly when installing or the impact caused some movement and something irritated it enough to start to crack.  In either case, stress cracks can continue on their path until the are ground out and glassed back over.  If this is below the water line, I would at least take a die grinder, cut into them, then use some resin and cabasil or something similar to patch them up.

On 4/28/2010 at 10:15 AM, Ndawg12 said:

I wish I took a pic for you to compare it to yours. Anyways, I hit a rock (2 minutes into the first drive ever with my new to me bu :mad: ), dinged the prop up a little bit and made about 10 stress cracks eminate out from the strut a foot or so. It doesn't take much but I would bet you hit something at some point and didn't even notice it. Got a quote... $970!! So I asked if it was deep enough to affect the fiberglass, he was honest and said no, it would just be a cosmetic repair.

Kinda funny how everyone has different opinions on severity.

@NCVride , if you're near Raleigh, you might think about checking in with Auto Marine Service in Garner. They stay super busy and are tough to get in touch with, but they're the best in the area.

Edited by boardjnky4

I agree.  I'm a little over cautious when it comes to maintenance and repair.  But I like to have the peace of mind that all is good.  And I'm just one opinion in a sea of many.  I am not the least bit offended to having a polite disagreement on it.

Thanks for the input guys.  Pretty busy weekend so just getting back to this.  I’ll look again, but never had any issues until this off season when I noticed the cracks.  I’ll think hard on it.  May give Ed a call at Automarine.  I know how reputable he is.  Thanks!