Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new rudder?

I have a 91 skier f3 and end of last year hit somthing that was submerged. Ever since my boat steers free to the right but stiff to the left, thought it was steering cable but after research Im starting to think its the rudder. I know I have the stuffing box type rudder And was wondering is it worth replacing complete or trying to repair, Any help would be appreciated.

I would disassemble to determine best course of action. Bent rudder might be repairable or small broken parts could be replaced. If new rudder required, probably entire assembly the best course of action.

Skidim is offering a replacement for 360 and malibu i selling one similar for 570, Im debating on skidim because our machine shops in town have let me down too many times in the past to trust them with a repair job. Has anyone installed an aftermarket rudder, any hints or do's and donts-thanks.

If it were me...it would go something like this.

If it's bent (which you haven't told us it is yet) I'd try to have it fixed.

If it can't be fixed, I'd try to find a replacement with the exact same bolt pattern.

If I couldn't find one with the exact bolt pattern, I'd try again and harder to have the old one fixed.

If that was totally not possible, then I'd buy the replacement and go through the steps of filling the existing holes and redrilling/resealing a new set of holes to remount the new rudder.

That's just me though.

Oh - and :plus1: to what Woodski said - take it apart - figure out what's wrong. Then solve. If you haven't taken it apart yet - then you're just guessing and there's no point doing that - it's easy to disassemble.

Remove the steering cable at the rudder if it moves easily both ways then its obiously not the problem its the rudder, replace it with the OEM rudder assembly from Malibu and it bolts right up very easy to intall why would you want to fill and drill holes in your BOAT HULL to save a couple hundred dollars? Check your dealership and compare prices not worth drilling and filling in the bottom or your hull weaking the area plus I don't thing its that much of a price difference!

Remove the steering cable at the rudder if it moves easily both ways then its obiously not the problem its the rudder, replace it with the OEM rudder assembly from Malibu and it bolts right up very easy to intall why would you want to fill and drill holes in your BOAT HULL to save a couple hundred dollars? Check your dealership and compare prices not worth drilling and filling in the bottom or your hull weaking the area plus I don't thing its that much of a price difference!

...because the OEM rudder on a '91 Skier is no longer made, and the mfr is out of business. Maybe the Malibu Dealer's rudder will have the exact same bolt pattern. But I doubt it. :unsure:

I am going to pull it apart this weekend. Both malibus replacement and skidims say they might need to be modified because neither is a direct fit replacement, Ill post more on what i find monday.

My rudder housing was cracked. Marine Hardware had a replacement for mine that had the same shaft dia. and the same bolt pattern. I had to machine the height and the outer dia., but it worked great.

I have no idea about the rudder itself. But you could try marine hardware for a similar one.