Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First time boat owner storage questions

As some you might know I bought a 05 V-ride this year. I have questions about storing it. I have a detached two car garage that I plan on using. My dealer is winterizing the boat so that is taken care of. I have measured the garage and we are good to go.

Do I need to put moth balls in and around the boat? Is there anything that smells better?

Do I need to use damp rid?

I know I need to take the battery out but do I need to buy a trickle charger?

Do I store the boat with the cover on or off?

I would assume I need to prop open the compartments and crack the seats ajar.

ITCH

Edited by itch

Read the winter storage info. on this site under Tech/DIY

Do I need to put moth balls in and around the boat? Is there anything that smells better?

Use "Bounce" fabric softner sheets in whatever scent you like.

Do I need to use damp rid?

I would, just to be safe, if the garage isn't heated.

I know I need to take the battery out but do I need to buy a trickle charger?

You do need to keep it on a trickle charger. You can leave the batt. in it's box if you buy a "Battery Tender Jr." I like the Jr. model because it's very small. Sells on ebay for $35. I have two and always have my boat plugged into it when it's home.

Do I store the boat with the cover on or off?

I would store with the cover on. Why let the dust get in there?

I would assume I need to prop open the compartments and crack the seats ajar.

Good idea but, not really necessary. Just make sure the boat is good and dry when you put it away.

Thanks Pete, and yes the garage is not heated but I planed on putting a electric heater ikn the engine box if we pull and ride before we winterize.

itch

We store our boat in our garage during the winter. We take the batteries out and we have a charger so in the spring we just hook them up over night and they are good to go. I have never messed with trickle chargers on the boat battery or on my old jet ski batteries and they were fine at the beginning of each season. Before putting our boat away last year I went through and greased everything that needed to be, gave it a GOOD cleaning, flipped up or down all the seats turned off the gas, opened all the compartments, threw some bleach in the ski locker and in the fat sacs, took out all the plugs (I don't know why), checked for loose hoses, nuts, bots etc... and then put the cover on it. We also take everything out of it such as life jackets, wet suits, dry suit, ropes, gloves and hang them up in the garage for the winter time.

I've heard of using Bounce sheets, but I think the evidence is only anecdotal. No one has really been able to say why they might work? They have no pesticide? (my evidence against Bounce sheets are that I found a black beetle in my dryer where I had a Bounce sheet in place. This tells me that bounce bugs are not repelled) Crazy.gif

Whereas, mothballs have been used for decades to control pests and I don't know that I will risk pest damage to unproven anecdotal evidence.

Bounce sheets might work? but the smell isn't bad enough to throw out 'ol reliable. (mothballs)

Edited by Bu Yahhh

I would rather have bugs then the smell of mothballs!!! I HATE that smell!!! Just let the bugs invade and then throw a bug bomb under the cover and the next day take it off and let it all air out.

I think damp rid is a must. I use 5 buckets in my boat, even when it is dry, they fill up every couple of weeks in the winter.

Pete, do you actually winterize your boat, or just use a light as a heater during the cold nights?

Joe

I use the DryWave in my boat over the winter. It is very damp here over the winter months. I used this product last year and for the first time I wasn't cleaning mildew out of the vinyl in the spring.

We store our boat in our garage during the winter. We take the batteries out and we have a charger so in the spring we just hook them up over night and they are good to go.

JetSki,

Just so you know, letting a lead acid battery slowly discharge is the worst thing you can do to keep it healthy for a long time. But, if you haven't had a problem after all these years, more power to ya.

Bu,

I don't know wether the bounce sheets work or not. It just so happens that I don't have a problem with critters getting in. I'd just prefer the bounce scent over the mothballs.

Joe/everyone else,

I don't think leaving a hot drop light under a boat where no one can keep an eye on it is a good idea. I know it's old school and it works, I just don't like it. If you're in an area where the temps. will get down and stay down below 32 then the best thing you can do is drain the block and heater system if you have one. I see this other thread about antifreeze and I, personally, think it's silly. This is coming from a guy who grew up in Boston. I know what cold overnight temps. are all about.

As for me, I happen to live in a mountainous area where it would rarely get below freezing. However, if I don't plan on taking my boat out for awhile I will run the engine and flush out that nasty launch ramp water that's in there. Then stabil the gas and Grease the rudder fittings. Pump up the trailer tires to the max. allowable pressure. I don't change the oil until the spring. If you think about it, the oil is going to collect moisture during the damp winter months so, why would you put fresh oil in there just to collect moisture all winter and be driving it in the spring with that watered down oil?

I always have four driz the air bowls in the boat and have an electronic dehumidifier like the one obski linked anytime it's home. I also always have the batt. on a Battery Tender any time it's home.

Edited by Pistol Pete
We store our boat in our garage during the winter. We take the batteries out and we have a charger so in the spring we just hook them up over night and they are good to go.

JetSki,

Just so you know, letting a lead acid battery slowly discharge is the worst thing you can do to keep it healthy for a long time. But, if you haven't had a problem after all these years, more power to ya.

Bu,

I don't know wether the bounce sheets work or not. It just so happens that I don't have a problem with critters getting in. I'd just prefer the bounce scent over the mothballs.

Joe/everyone else,

I don't think leaving a hot drop light under a boat where no one can keep an eye on it is a good idea. I know it's old school and it works, I just don't like it. If you're in an area where the temps. will get down and stay down below 32 then the best thing you can do is drain the block and heater system if you have one. I see this other thread about antifreeze and I, personally, think it's silly. This is coming from a guy who grew up in Boston. I know what cold overnight temps. are all about.

As for me, I happen to live in a mountainous area where it would rarely get below freezing. However, if I don't plan on taking my boat out for awhile I will run the engine and flush out that nasty launch ramp water that's in there. Then stabil the gas and Grease the rudder fittings. Pump up the trailer tires to the max. allowable pressure. I don't change the oil until the spring. If you think about it, the oil is going to collect moisture during the damp winter months so, why would you put fresh oil in there just to collect moisture all winter and be driving it in the spring with that watered down oil?

I always have four driz the air bowls in the boat and have an electronic dehumidifier like the one obski linked anytime it's home. I also always have the batt. on a Battery Tender any time it's home.

I heard that you are supposed to inflate 10psi over max when it sits all winter. But to take it back down before you tow???

I don't change the oil until the spring. If you think about it, the oil is going to collect moisture during the damp winter months so, why would you put fresh oil in there just to collect moisture all winter and be driving it in the spring with that watered down oil?

I always have four driz the air bowls in the boat

I do the same with the oil for the above reason. Just leave the most recent oil change. It should also be noted when you add stabilizer, to run the engine afterward so that the fuel block and filter all have fuel stabilizer in it as well. If not, then you will have some nasty fuel and tarnish sitting there.

Pete, What the heck is four driz the air bowls??

Jet ski,

If 10 psi more is what you like, run with it. :)

Stew,

Driz the air is the same as damp rid. It's a dessicant that is suspended in a vented container over a bowl. It collects water in the air and drips it into the bowl below.

http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store/catal...z_Crystals.html

Edited by Pistol Pete

It all depends on the moisture content of the air wherever you're storing it. If you haven't had a problem to date, then you probably don't have to worry about it. I've had problems in the past with mildew smell in the carpets after storage. I've had to bleach the carpets in my boat twice, and I don't ever want to do it again.

I'm always surprised, as DenJoe can attest, at how much water gets collected in the bowls even though you think the air is dry.

It all depends on the moisture content of the air wherever you're storing it. If you haven't had a problem to date, then you probably don't have to worry about it. I've had problems in the past with mildew smell in the carpets after storage. I've had to bleach the carpets in my boat twice, and I don't ever want to do it again.

I'm always surprised, as DenJoe can attest, at how much water gets collected in the bowls even though you think the air is dry.

Well in the winter here it is around 65-80% humidity, so it would make sense that it would collect. Heck, in my gun safe, its completely air tight, and I get discoloration on the dessicants.

The one thing I hate, is not leaving a rear hatch cracked and having to live with foul gas vapors embedded in the upholstery for the first couple of outings.

I've got a nice clean garage that is ventilated and only used for boat storage. I remove every thing from the boat and crack everything, including the motor box. I leave the cover off the boat. I've had no trouble with mold or moisture.

FWIW, my carpet was really stinky from being all wet all summer, not to mention the ducks I deal with. I let the boat dry out, sprayed NAPA carpet cleaner on the carpets several times and vacuumed and the smell is gone.