Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blower/vent locations on 1997 Sunsetter LX

Umatilla Matt

Hey,

I am new to this site. I just purchased my first Malibu, a 1997 Sunsetter LX and I need some help.

I am trying to locate the blower motor. I want to verify that it is hooked up correctly. I am suspicious ever since I found that the two vent hoses in the front of the boat had been disconnected.

I can hear the blower running, but I can't figure out how to access it.

Also, are they the only vent locations (two in from the front and one out the back via the blower?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey,

I am new to this site. I just purchased my first Malibu, a 1997 Sunsetter LX and I need some help.

I am trying to locate the blower motor. I want to verify that it is hooked up correctly. I am suspicious ever since I found that the two vent hoses in the front of the boat had been disconnected.

I can hear the blower running, but I can't figure out how to access it.

Also, are they the only vent locations (two in from the front and one out the back via the blower?

Thanks,

Matt

My 95 has the blower & heater core up front at your feet, the blower motor is attached to the heater core. Mine has two vents at your feet and one stored, extendable hose coming out on the walk thru. Its tight to get under there, you may want to pull the seat out, bring your tools and consumables etc so its all at hands reach. Mine had four screws, two top & two bottom holding it in, you may have to disconnet the two heater core hoses to get it out to work on it.

I don't have a heater in my boat that I know of. I'm not sure of the differences between the 95 and 97 models.

When I turn on the blower, I hear it running and it sounds like it is in the rear drivers-side corner of the boat. I have removed the floor in the trunk and looked in the corner behind the gas tank, but I still can't find it.

I have the same boat as you. If you are talking about the engine blower, It is indeed in the driver's rear corner. I just replaced mine. If you look in between the side of the boat and the seat, you will see it. Also it is easy to work on if you take the carpeted cover from the gas tank out. The 2 hoses in the front of the boat just force fresh air in to the motor compartment. The blower in the back sucks the air out of the compartment and it goes out the rear of the boat by the grab handle. If you hear the blower running and it sounds normal, the only thing i would check would be is to make sure the hoses are connected on the blower itself, mine were torn. Just reconnect the 2 up front. Hope this helps!

I have the same boat as you. If you are talking about the engine blower, It is indeed in the driver's rear corner. I just replaced mine. If you look in between the side of the boat and the seat, you will see it. Also it is easy to work on if you take the carpeted cover from the gas tank out. The 2 hoses in the front of the boat just force fresh air in to the motor compartment. The blower in the back sucks the air out of the compartment and it goes out the rear of the boat by the grab handle. If you hear the blower running and it sounds normal, the only thing i would check would be is to make sure the hoses are connected on the blower itself, mine were torn. Just reconnect the 2 up front. Hope this helps!

Thanks, that really does help alot! I had looked in between the seat and the side of the boat, but I didn't see anything. Now that I looked again, I see it. It was right in front of me the whole time! I assume it is working as I feel air blowing out the rear vent and I feel suction at the driver's side vent under the rear access by the exhaust.

The vent that forces air in from the front driver's side is just hanging down under the console behind the instruments. I assume it is supposed to go into the bilge and back to the engine compartment from there? It looks like someone ripped it out to feed the steering and throttle cables down the hole and into the bilge area. How do I access that area of the bilge? Remove the driver's seat?

The vent on the front passenger's side is still connected and run to the bilge, it just has a few little tears in it. I'll put some duct tape on it and call it fixed.

I think you just need to stuff that hose into the hole and inch or so. The actual hose should not run all the way to the engine.

That's what I'm thinking I will do. I think as long as I get air into the bilge it should push through the vents into the engine compartment. I wonder though if there is a vent hose in the bilge flopping around?

• 1 year later...

That's what I'm thinking I will do. I think as long as I get air into the bilge it should push through the vents into the engine compartment. I wonder though if there is a vent hose in the bilge flopping around?

Mine just runs thru the hole a coupla inches too, I keep a light up there in that space and it gets knocked off once in a while

Edited by footnlongline