Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

warning alarm

board brained

my last boat had a very annoying warning alarm when you turned the key to start the motor. It was an I/O.

The BU does not have one...... is this normal for the boats?

When I turn my key one click I get a warning beep in my 2000 WS.

I think it's telling me there's no oil pressure.

So, I would think you would get a beep on the first (acc.) click?

I just turned my key for first time this season and a repeating alarm is sounding and does not quit until I turn key back off. Anyone have any ideas.

It is a 2002 Sunsetter

I just turned my key for first time this season and a repeating alarm is sounding and does not quit until I turn key back off. Anyone have any ideas.

It is a 2002 Sunsetter

Ummmm,

I'd read post #2 maybe? :unsure:

It is a 2002 Sunsetter

I have a 2002 wakesetter and mine is doing the same thing, i have replaced the oil pressure sending unit and its still doing it all guages are fine, if you find out what is going on with yours let me know thanks Ron

I have a 2002 wakesetter and mine is doing the same thing, i have replaced the oil pressure sending unit and its still doing it all guages are fine, if you find out what is going on with yours let me know thanks Ron

Is this with the engine running or just with the key turned to the first click?

my last boat had a very annoying warning alarm when you turned the key to start the motor. It was an I/O.

The BU does not have one...... is this normal for the boats?

To unhijack and give you an answer :) - yes - it's normal. You can test the alarm by turning to the on position for about 10 seconds without starting the engine. The alarm should sound.

Beyond that though - no. The reason your I/O was set up to sound the alarm as soon as the key was pressed was to warn people behind the boat or on the swim platform that the engine was about to be started. It is a safety feature due to the location of the prop. With a DD or V, the prop is under the boat and it's been decided that this is safer and doesn't require that immediate audible alarm.

Edited by JeffS

To unhijack and give you an answer - yes - it's normal. You can test the alarm by turning to the on position for about 10 seconds without starting the engine. The alarm should sound.

Beyond that though - no. The reason your I/O was set up to sound the alarm as soon as the key was pressed was to warn people behind the boat or on the swim platform that the engine was about to be started. It is a safety feature due to the location of the prop. With a DD or V, the prop is under the boat and it's been decided that this is safer and doesn't require that immediate audible alarm.

My response alarm beeps when I turn the key on and continues to beep until I start the engine or until I turn it off. I believe this feature is to remind you the key is on, warn swimmers the boat is about to start, and/or let you know your hours are running.

Guys, see Pete's two posts above. And if you want to confirm it just pull the wire going to the oil pressure switch.

You turn the key, which powers up everything but the starter (and engine) itself. So the switch sends a low oil pressure signal and an alarm is signaled because there is no oil pressure. You start the engine, oil pressure comes up, alarm goes off. Normal.

Mike

Guys, see Pete's two posts above. And if you want to confirm it just pull the wire going to the oil pressure switch.

You turn the key, which powers up everything but the starter (and engine) itself. So the switch sends a low oil pressure signal and an alarm is signaled because there is no oil pressure. You start the engine, oil pressure comes up, alarm goes off. Normal.

Mike

Exactly...and the hour meter on your '04 will not spin until the engine is running (I think it is set to spin when the engine is running over 300 RPM). Leaving the key on (with engine off) should not advance your hour meter.

It is a 2002 Sunsetter

As others have said, until you actually start the motor, if you simply turn the key on you will hear a continuous beeping. Nothing to worry about. It's normal and annoying at the same time. :)

The real issue is if the motor is running and you start hearing that beep or any combination of beeps. At that point start checking your gauges and then shut her down.

Edited by areamike

Mike

Thank you Mike.

I was afraid I was the only one that could see my two posts.

I guess I don't need to send my laptop in for repairs now.

Exactly...and the hour meter on your '04 will not spin until the engine is running (I think it is set to spin when the engine is running over 300 RPM). Leaving the key on (with engine off) should not advance your hour meter.

I can also confirm that the hour meter does not run with only the key on and motor off. Despite all the used boat ads we read where the seller says: "Oh, a couple of times, my wife left the key on over the weekend. That's why my boat shows 900 hrs. it actually only really has about 700"

Why would you want an annoying alarm? Whistling.gif

The only think I hear when I turn my key is raw power. Tease2.gif

dont really want it, was used to it with I/O as it had it because of the prop sticking oout the back. just checking......

To unhijack and give you an answer Smile.gif - yes - it's normal. You can test the alarm by turning to the on position for about 10 seconds without starting the engine. The alarm should sound.

thanks got it...make total sense and if there was a way to retract the question I would now do so I such a loser.gif