Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfboard WTB

TrickyNicky

EDIT: Changing the topic completely, I'm purchasing from a US site along with a boom, just interested in surfboards.

These are my options:

Hyperlite Broadcast Wakesurfer $299.99

or Hyperlite Coex Wakesurfer $299.99

or CWB 63" Ride Wakesurfer $299.99

or O'Brien Alias Wakesurfer $219.99

or CWB Tsunami 57" wakesurfer $349.99

Also, I'm 5'10 and 170lbs, For comparison I've ridden a 66" hyperlite (green) and it was a good board, I'd like something a bit more 'playful', but still easy enough for newer riders.

Any advice or recommendations is much appreciated!

I went into our ONLY local board shop today to check out some new required gear.<br style="text-decoration: line-through;"><br style="text-decoration: line-through;">So first off they had an O'brien Alias wakesurf board. It was last years model and was being offered at $300. I know nothing about this board so was curious if anyone else had any opinions. It seemed like a good board at a good price. The next comparison was a hyperlite for $500. I have ridden a hyperlite before and it was a very good board but also the only board I've ridden so can't compare.<br style="text-decoration: line-through;"><br style="text-decoration: line-through;">Also took a look at the wakeboards and he recommended a Gator Gonzalez with matching bindings (or Ronix divide bindings) for $400 board and $300 bindings. All were last years models and for the savings I'm fine with that. My one concern was that Gator has gone bust. Really it's not the end of the world, but would you buy the gator or a lower end hyperlite for the same price, or a similar hyperlite for a higher price. I'm an intermediate rider at best but am expecting to excel pretty quick, I don't want to out-skill my board anytime soon or feel I need an upgrade. I went searching for the right snowboard for 6 yrs and ended up with a burton custom and 4 years later still love everything about it! I want a wakeboard I'm happy with through and through. Currently I use my cousins Hyperlite state. Its a great board but I'm looking for something a bit more playful and a bit more pop.<br style="text-decoration: line-through;"><br style="text-decoration: line-through;">A couple side notes:<br style="text-decoration: line-through;">I'm in Canada in a small market for this type of equipment so we pay a premium relative to you guys down south. Also due to small scale market, test riding is not an option.<br style="text-decoration: line-through;"><br style="text-decoration: line-through;">Any advice, or recommendations is appreciated. Thanks

Edited by TrickyNicky

I picked up a CWB Tsunami 57". I am about 210lbs, riding behind a Vride with 500 middle, 500 rear, wedge and can ride no rope easy. board seems really good I bought it out of seattle for just over $300.

I can work the wake, have not yet managed to 180 or 360 it but hopefully soon. Baord seems very responsive and a ton of fun.

really happy with it but need to also say the only other I have riden was a hyperlite as well so have limited experience. I wanted a decent board the entire family could use at a great price.

http://www.ridecwb.com/cwb-wakesurf-tsunami.php

Curious as to the pricing of the Ronix District board/boot package and the Hyperlite B-Side (2010 white/red) with some decent bindings would come up to. Doesn't look like super awesome deals on leftovers IMO.

FWIW Ronix District combo online is $449 boots and board everywhere.

Hyperlite B-Side is $419 everywhere. Plus a decent set of boots. That board shape looks awesome this season.

Don't know how being in Canada affects things as far as decent pricing, though.

I went into our ONLY local board shop today to check out some new required gear.

So first off they had an O'brien Alias wakesurf board. It was last years model and was being offered at $300. I know nothing about this board so was curious if anyone else had any opinions. It seemed like a good board at a good price. The next comparison was a hyperlite for $500. I have ridden a hyperlite before and it was a very good board but also the only board I've ridden so can't compare.

Also took a look at the wakeboards and he recommended a Gator Gonzalez with matching bindings (or Ronix divide bindings) for $400 board and $300 bindings. All were last years models and for the savings I'm fine with that. My one concern was that Gator has gone bust. Really it's not the end of the world, but would you buy the gator or a lower end hyperlite for the same price, or a similar hyperlite for a higher price. I'm an intermediate rider at best but am expecting to excel pretty quick, I don't want to out-skill my board anytime soon or feel I need an upgrade. I went searching for the right snowboard for 6 yrs and ended up with a burton custom and 4 years later still love everything about it! I want a wakeboard I'm happy with through and through. Currently I use my cousins Hyperlite state. Its a great board but I'm looking for something a bit more playful and a bit more pop.

A couple side notes:

I'm in Canada in a small market for this type of equipment so we pay a premium relative to you guys down south. Also due to small scale market, test riding is not an option.

Any advice, or recommendations is appreciated. Thanks

I don't know what shipping would be from here and if it would be worth it? But I would be willing to part with my back up board. This set up has been good to me and is in great shape, I wax it ever year, it does not have any dings or scratches. Tons of pop with very aggressive edges. The bindings are in good shape also. Let me know if interested.

http://www.wakeworld.com/products/index.php?l=product_detail&p=55330

http://www.wakeworld.com/products/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54879

You should be able to get the Alias for $200 with free shipping online somewhere. Its a pretty decent board for the money.

I just changed the topic completely, I'm purchasing from a US site along with a boom, just interested in surfboards.

These are my options:

Also, I'm 5'10 and 170lbs, For comparison I've ridden a 66" hyperlite (green) and it was a good board, I'd like something a bit more 'playful'.

I just changed the topic completely, I'm purchasing from a US site along with a boom, just interested in surfboards.

These are my options:

Also, I'm 5'10 and 170lbs, For comparison I've ridden a 66" hyperlite (green) and it was a good board, I'd like something a bit more 'playful'.

for more playful have you considered a phase 5 board. I have the prop, icon and scamp. All are good boards but if i were to get only 1, it would be the icon. it is a lot of fun. I had an oogle but it was way too big.

I guess it also depends on your wake and how much push it has. The smaller the wake the bigger the board.

i know it is tough with so many choices. I ended up buying local cause the local shop allowed me to buy it with the option to return it if i didn't like it.

Ya, I've wanted the phase 5 after all the comments it gets on here. But its much pricier and the site I'm ordering both the boom and board from doesn't carry them. My logic on all the phase 5 stuff is if I've never ridden it I'm not going to missi it. We only have 1 local shop and they have 1 hyperlite and 1 obrien and thats it. Both at a premium too, so local isn't an option unfortunately.

Wake size were going to start with full LEFT half center half bow and ~8-10 ppl all located in the correct positions, also with a floating wedge down. Well see how it goes and adjust appropriately. Were hoping we won't need to add, once again the whole "you can't miss what you don't know"

Thanks for the help Cervelo, You want to part with the beloved icon Biggrin.gif

Ya, I've wanted the phase 5 after all the comments it gets on here. But its much pricier and the site I'm ordering both the boom and board from doesn't carry them. My logic on all the phase 5 stuff is if I've never ridden it I'm not going to missi it. We only have 1 local shop and they have 1 hyperlite and 1 obrien and thats it. Both at a premium too, so local isn't an option unfortunately.

Wake size were going to start with full LEFT half center half bow and ~8-10 ppl all located in the correct positions, also with a floating wedge down. Well see how it goes and adjust appropriately. Were hoping we won't need to add, once again the whole "you can't miss what you don't know"

Thanks for the help Cervelo, You want to part with the beloved icon Biggrin.gif

uhhhh, nope. parted with the oogle but the rest aren't going anywhere.

The problem I see from most of those boards listed is they are all very beginnerish type boards. I've ridden lots, purchased a few and can honestly tell ya you will get really bored with the boards you have listed fairly quickly. None of them are what I would call a "true" wakesurf board. All the ones you listed are basically a larger wakeboard without holes for bindings, they are heavy and slow in terms of rocker. They have their purpose,to get you into the sport, that is about it. If you can get away from it, don't waist your money.I have ridden almost all those boards, Got the ride for free on a boat deal, glad I didn't spend $300 clams on it. It never gets ridden.

The phase 5 stuff is nice, can't go wrong with the prop. Fun board. If budget is a factor, take a look at Triple X boards. They make some reasonable sticks and they are more of real wakesurf board. They can be had for the same price range as what you are looking at. You will get alot more life out of one of those boards hands down for around the same price as the stamped for the masses stuff you are looking at.

Edited by Bawshogg

The problem I see from most of those boards listed is they are all very beginnerish type boards. I've ridden lots, purchased a few and can honestly tell ya you will get really bored with the boards you have listed fairly quickly. None of them are what I would call a "true" wakesurf board. All the ones you listed are basically a larger wakeboard without holes for bindings, they are heavy and slow in terms of rocker. They have their purpose,to get you into the sport, that is about it. If you can get away from it, don't waist your money.I have ridden almost all those boards, Got the ride for free on a boat deal, glad I didn't spend $300 clams on it. It never gets ridden.

The phase 5 stuff is nice, can't go wrong with the prop. Fun board. If budget is a factor, take a look at Triple X boards. They make some reasonable sticks and they are more of real wakesurf board. They can be had for the same price range as what you are looking at. You will get alot more life out of one of those boards hands down for around the same price as the stamped for the masses stuff you are looking at.

Thanks for all the info Bawshogg, information I needed to know. I know I am going to be having many beginners riding but I don't want to buy for them. I'll have to do some thinking and looking around before I make my decision.

BTW, If I take a look at the Triple X boards (not to self, do not google triple x), Any particular board to check out.

Edited by TrickyNicky

Baws, what kind of TWP do you have? BTW, couldn't agree more with your post. Those boards get boring quick. I've had luck with beginners on more advanced boards. Might as well step into a wakesurf board made by a wakesurf company.

Thanks for all the info Bawshogg, information I needed to know. I know I am going to be having many beginners riding but I don't want to buy for them. I'll have to do some thinking and looking around before I make my decision.

BTW, If I take a look at the Triple X boards (not to self, do not google triple x), Any particular board to check out.

It's gonna depend on what style you are looking to get into, skim or surf. Skim is more surface trick related, spins , shuvs, small ariels. Surf is more carving , slashing, airs and general cruising. That will dictate what style board you will gravitate towards.

Try this.Triple xxx And here's another site that has some used P5 stuff in your price rangeTowanza

Edited by Bawshogg

If I'm going to be paying more I'm probably looking for a very surf like skim board. I've ridden an actual beach skim board (3ft long 1/4 inch thin wooden) and I'm pretty sure the hyperlite broadcast. I like the surf feel but do want to have fun spinning. The board also has to be at least "accessible" for new riders. But like I said I'm buying for me and the regular riders not for beginners.

I've looked at the Walker projects (composite x), inland surfer (bluelake), and phase 5 (prop and icon). Buying used doesn't phase me, would have to be a deal though. Let me know what you guys think about these boards or any others form these companies or others you recommend. I'm hoping to buy a board that will last a while 4+ seasons.

Also I don't want a board that needs a bigger wake.

Thanks guys, so far it seems you've saved me 300+ bucks.

If I'm going to be paying more I'm probably looking for a very surf like skim board. I've ridden an actual beach skim board (3ft long 1/4 inch thin wooden) and I'm pretty sure the hyperlite broadcast. I like the surf feel but do want to have fun spinning. The board also has to be at least "accessible" for new riders. But like I said I'm buying for me and the regular riders not for beginners.

I've looked at the Walker projects (composite x), inland surfer (bluelake), and phase 5 (prop and icon). Buying used doesn't phase me, would have to be a deal though. Let me know what you guys think about these boards or any others form these companies or others you recommend. I'm hoping to buy a board that will last a while 4+ seasons.

Also I don't want a board that needs a bigger wake.

Thanks guys, so far it seems you've saved me 300+ bucks.

Did ya check the links? Those are some decent prices on the used stuff. Some of those boards were in excess of $600 buck new.

I've currently got a good deal on The Walker projects. I think the Composite X would be a great board for our application. The problem is he has a F-18 too and now I'm stuck in the battle to get both for the different styles.

Any comments are appreciated. You guys started by saving me 300 and now I may be spending even more. Why do I like this site :tease2:

EDIT: And to Bowshogg, didn't mean to ignore you, Just the deal on the walker projects seems better than Towanza.

Edited by TrickyNicky

I've currently got a good deal on The Walker projects. I think the Composite X would be a great board for our application. The problem is he has a F-18 too and now I'm stuck in the battle to get both for the different styles.

Any comments are appreciated. You guys started by saving me 300 and now I may be spending even more. Why do I like this site :tease2:

You can't go wrong with either of those boards. TWP's are great boards. If you are looking for more of a blended surf/skim style board , do the Composite X. I had no idea you were looking at spending that kinda cake. Good choice though.

On a side note, I have been looking at the Grindwater stuff from Darin Shapiro. I wanna give those a try hopefully this season. Anybody had a chance to stand on one? And which model?

You can't go wrong with either of those boards. TWP's are great boards. If you are looking for more of a blended surf/skim style board , do the Composite X. I had no idea you were looking at spending that kinda cake. Good choice though.

On a side note, I have been looking at the Grindwater stuff from Darin Shapiro. I wanna give those a try hopefully this season. Anybody had a chance to stand on one? And which model?

I DEFINITLY was not looking to spend that kind of cake. I just hit a good deal and can't pass it up. I'm getting the composite x for sure, just seems like a no brainer. Now I'm just in debate to get the f-18 TOO!!!!! Do you think it's different enough from the Composite x.

The F-18 is definetly a more "surf" style board. In a Quad fin it should be pretty darn fast too. It is thicker than the composite X, which depending on what kind of wave you build may be better. Just know that the composite in the smaller lengths is gonna be more work to ride. It's not a cruiser by any means. If you can get a smokin deal on them both, and you have the cash , buy them both. You will get to try each and see what style you are more comfortable with, or like more. Sell the one you don't like. It's that easy. Given they are Walker boards you shouldn't have a problem moving them.

The F-18 is definetly a more "surf" style board. In a Quad fin it should be pretty darn fast too. It is thicker than the composite X, which depending on what kind of wave you build may be better. Just know that the composite in the smaller lengths is gonna be more work to ride. It's not a cruiser by any means. If you can get a smokin deal on them both, and you have the cash , buy them both. You will get to try each and see what style you are more comfortable with, or like more. Sell the one you don't like. It's that easy. Given they are Walker boards you shouldn't have a problem moving them.

Sweet! I'll let you know how it plays out.

:plus1: That's my setup.... 1 comp X and a signature model. both are great you can't go wrong with that "quiver" of boards. :drool:

Small world. Baws, I'm pretty sure I've met you before on Tyler's boat and ran into you at AWS Evening with the Stars. Didn't know you had a TWP. Nice! I would love to check your VTX out some day.

Sold Cyoda his TWP JWSM. Gotta give me an update. It's cold and rainy here.

Small world. Baws, I'm pretty sure I've met you before on Tyler's boat and ran into you at AWS Evening with the Stars. Didn't know you had a TWP. Nice! I would love to check your VTX out some day.

Sold Cyoda his TWP JWSM. Gotta give me an update. It's cold and rainy here.

Did ya? Which boat did he have? Always changes with that GUY. So I take it you are local? As soon as the weather breaks we will be doin it all over again, let me know and we'll go for a ride. :)

I think the 2007 Black 23 LSV, last year. Gotta love that GUY!

Did ya? Which boat did he have? Always changes with that GUY. So I take it you are local? As soon as the weather breaks we will be doin it all over again, let me know and we'll go for a ride. :)